Making Soup with a Hock bone

sadie, Jul 9, 9:48pm
I have never made Soup other than Pumpkin and decided to try with they are really Bacon bones and do u put in Crock Pot and have got a soup mix and what to you do from here and how does it thicken!.
I am all new to this and starting a new relationship and want to try new things

rainrain1, Jul 9, 9:54pm
put all in crock pot over night on low, but not before adding grated carrots, onions, potato, celery etc and a few more split peas and barley.Meat should be falling of the bone, taste for salt and enjoy.
The split peas and barley or soup mix will thicken your soup, best not to add too much though as you might not like it thick.Trial and error, if it's too thin add more next time you make it

sadie, Jul 9, 9:58pm
rainrain1 thanks for this and will try it tonight

cookessentials, Jul 9, 10:16pm
I cook mine overnight in the crockpot. Next morning, take the bone out and all the meat. Skim the tip with a slice of bread to remove fat, then slice the meat up and return it to the crockpot. I use about half a bunch of celery ( leaves and all) chopped and iinto the crockpot along with a can of chopped tomatoes, cubed potato, kumara, carrot, swede, a large onion,chopped. A 1 litre pack of Campbells vegetable stock. leave covered all day, until harder vege are tender, then taste. Add tomato paste, salt and frshly ground pepper to taste and then add the large spiral pasta ( I use the tri-colour) Pop the lid on again and cook through till pasta is cooked. I add enough of everything to make a soup you can stand your spoon up in.

kesley, Jul 9, 11:27pm
That bread trick is awesome. Skimming fat off soup is such a bore . I will definitely try a slice of bread next time I make it.

cookessentials, Jul 10, 10:13pm
it is much easier, just use a good thick slice.

phoenix10111, Jul 10, 10:18pm
Cook - do you just put the hock in the crockpot on its own overnight or with anything else - eg: any liquid!

janny3, Jul 11, 12:14am
Water will do.No need for stock as the hock or bacon bones can be salty enough.Once cooked you may like to season and/or add stock to taste.If its too salty, the potatoes and pasta should soak up much of the saltiness.

susieq9, Jul 11, 12:52am
I throw everything in at the same time. But I grate most of my veges, other than celery and onions which are cut up finely. I also use just water.

winnie231, Jul 11, 12:53am
Westmeats have smoked bacon hocks on special for $3.50 this week (9-14 July).

patsprat, Jul 11, 3:09am
I have just found a pork hock in the freezer (not a bacon hock) and I'm wondering what to do with it (and how it got there, I must have put it there I suppose.) It would make a fatty stock, wouldn'tit!Otherwise what can I do with it!

cookessentials, Jul 11, 3:14am
yes, it goes into water phoenix. Just overnight, then skim the fat off the top, this is your "base" to which you then add all the other ingredients I have listed, including the stock. Without the stock, it is pretty tasteless.

phoenix10111, Jul 11, 3:26am
thanks, I usually make mine in the stove top, but love my slow cooker so I might give it a whirl in that.

sadie, Jul 12, 10:44pm
Thank you so much and I have learnt heaps from you all and I will def try the bread for skimming the fat off and Celery kumara sound so nice and the sweetness of the kumara will be magic.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 10:58pm
I sometimes find that there is too much to fit into the crockpot once I start adding all the vegeatbles, stock and pasta, so i decant some into a stockpot. I just find that having it in the crockpot means it can cook away all day and i dont have to keep too much of an eye on it.

battgirl, Jul 13, 2:39am
My crock pot pea and ham soup couldnt be simpler. Chuck in a packet of dried green split peas, add a sliced carrot and your bacon hock, add enough water to cover the bone and cook on low until its thick and creamy and the meat is falling off. Remove bone, cut meat off, add back to soup and eat! Don't need to add any seasoning as the hock is salty enough.

janny3, Jul 13, 2:03pm
No potatoes!Onions!Barley!

aglarana, Jul 13, 2:37pm
Bacon bones! Oh my! Make a boil up with them. Put the bones in a big pot of water. Bring to the boil. Add potato halve or 1/4s, carrot chunks, whatever other vegies you have, half a cabbage(or other leafy green), check for seasoning. Enjoy. Yum!

ayglepaygle, Jul 14, 9:02am
My crockpot recipe for pea and ham soup is similar to battgirl's.
Into crockpot put
1 pack (400g) split peas,
1 bacon hock,
1 grated carrot,
1 large onion- diced.
Fill with water.
Cook until peas are tender.
Remove hock.
Blend soup with stick blender for a smoother puree(optional),
Add the meat from the hock. Stir through.
Easy and yum.

guest, Jan 11, 10:18am
Now we know who the seilbnse one is here. Great post!

guest, Jan 13, 2:05pm
While John prepares his post on Rothbury I thohugt I'd share my experience at this years Mayhem Fest (briefly..).Top 3 Performances (no order):Black Dahlia MurderSlayerTriviumTop 3 Bands I'm just getting tired of:Killswitch Engage (who remembers the original singer?)Bullet for My Valentine (John's favorite)Cannibal Corpse (for whatever reason the band was not as enthusiastic as smaller band performances, such as God Forbid.)I didn't stay for Marylin Manson, nor did a good portion of the crowd. Slayer should have headlined, but by the time Manson was up it was 2 AM and I had a drive to make, so eh .

guest, Jan 14, 10:06am
Seeing Slayer was like fullfilling a high shoocl wish I must have made a dozen times.Agreed, their new album was bland, and so was their performance. I had seen them long ago with Jesse (I believe Kittie headlined, with Poison the Well, KSE, and another band its been too long..) and Howard doesn't have the stage presence Jesse did. Or maybe their music direction is taking a different approach.Anyway, hope to see a post!