Lemon, ginger and honey drinks

Page 1 / 2
colleenandsue1, Jul 7, 8:27am
Does anyone have a recipe they have actually used and like!I have made a few from the net but can never get the balance right.Anyhow would love to hear from anyone who has.Thanks

biggles45, Jul 7, 8:34am
Sounds nice, I would be interested too. Probably vry soothing when you have a cold!

narnas1, Jul 7, 8:38am
not lemon, honey and ginger, but have a bottle in the fridge - lemon, honey and whiskey, extra good for coughs

pam.delilah, Jul 7, 9:20am
I make and enjoy this recipe
Lemon Barley Water
• 3/4 cup of pearl barley
• Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
• 1/2 cup of honey
• 6 cups of water
• Tb grated ginger optional
Place the barley in a sieve and rinse under cold water until water runs clear.
Place barley in a saucepan with grated lemon zest, ginger and 6 cups of water.
Bring to the boil over medium heat. Once boiling, simmer for 10 minutes then strain mixture into a heatproof bowl. Discard the barley. (I throw it out for the birds)
Add honey to bowl and stir to dissolve. Stir in lemon juice then let mixture cool to room temperature.
Pour into bottles and refrigerate great chilled or hot

elliehen, Jul 7, 12:07pm
My aunt used to make this at hay-making time and the cousins were entrusted with carrying it out to the workers in the paddocks.

colleenandsue1, Jul 7, 7:13pm
Cool thanks Pam.delilah.Cant wait to make some.:)

norse_westie, Jul 8, 5:07am
Every winter I make up several pots (which makes around 30 bottles) of lemon and ginger syrup. We use it as a hot toddy and as a cough syrup.

Its pretty much: lots and lots of ginger peeled and sliced (I do 2-4 kg at a time in my soup pot). Cover with water, add sugar or honey to taste, but don't make it overly sweet. Boil slowly for one hour. As it cools it will turn into a syrup. The more sugar the more syrupy.Meantime, squeeze lemons - I find lemonade ones NOT the best. I dilute with water about half and half as I like it strong. Half fill a sterilized bottle with lemon mix, then top up with cooled ginger mix. If you want you can strain or lightly blend with a stick blender so there are ginger chunks in it. I prefer it strained.

Alter according to taste. You may like more lemon if you are not keen on ginger. You can use honey instead of sugar. I also drop some cloves, and cardamom pods and star anise into the ginger mix while boiling.

sarahb5, Jul 14, 6:08am
LOL - I'll bet it is!

eigna, Jul 20, 10:01pm
I am looking for one of these recipes too.I have the cool 'lemonade' syrup mix for the summer, which is gorgeous, but am wanting one the same as the syrup they use in the hot lemon honey and ginger drinks you can get in the cafes (or like the Shotts syrup bottles you can get.And of course I have a whole pile of lemons to do something with at the moment too!

chooky, Jul 20, 11:36pm
Every winter when the kids were young I use to make up a drink of cider vinegar, honey and water and use to leave it on the bench and whenever the kids wanted a drink they had that. It was probably a litre container and use to go witha day. They very rarely got sick and still dont.

sarahb5, Jul 21, 12:48am
Same here - I have the summer "lemonade" version but can't find one for lemon, honey and ginger - even Google isn't much help!

eigna, Jul 21, 1:08am
No google is not much help, although I did just see something that mentioned the person first finding this drink in New Zealand as it was a popular cafe drink.Perhaps the rest of the world doesn't have it!

sarahb5, Jul 21, 1:19am
I think you found the same site as I did but I just found this one - I suppose you could add honey to it, or even lemon honey

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Ginger-Syrup-238967

fifie, Jul 21, 1:41am
We use this onelovely as a drink, or in winter add a nip of whiskey for a night time drink.http://www.prenzeldunedin.co.nz/products/beveragesscroll down till you see lemon.ginger,honey.Love their stuff especially the citrus vinegarette, and smoked garlic sauce.

sarahb5, Jul 21, 5:51am
Sounds great but I'm wanting to actually make my own with all the lemons we've got at the moment

littlemissy1, Jul 21, 6:06am
I just brought some glass flagons to make some cordials/syrups, would appreciate any suitable recipes for these if anyone has any!

eigna, Jul 21, 6:57am
Ditto :)

wheelz, Jul 21, 12:18pm
That's odd.I use a recipe off google.here we're heaps to choose from.

sarahb5, Jul 21, 11:41pm
Care to share because I haven't found any that include honey and ginger in the lemon syrup!

wheelz, Jul 22, 10:53pm
This recipe makes 1 liter (1 quart) and can easily be cut in half.Mix a half cup of this concentrate in a 1 liter (1 quart) mason jar of bubbly water to make your beverage.Since it’s an 8-to-1 ratio, this will make 8 liters of the final beverage.

Ingredients

1 liter of water
4 ounces of chopped ginger (if you don’t have a scale, us about 4 inches of it).It’s ok to leave the skin on.
The juice of 1 lemon
0.75 cups of honey; I used a liquid honey which made incorporating it easy.
Instructions

Bring the water to a boil before adding the ginger.
Bring back to a boil (if the ginger stopped it) and boil for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, turn the heat off and stir until incorporated.
Allow the cordial to steep overnight (you can put in the fridge once it’s cooled if that will make you feel better – I left it out for the 5 hours I slept and that was enough to cool it down).
Strain the ginger out.It’s now sweetened ginger – add to ice cream, make cookies with ir or even add it to stir fry.
Pour into a clean jar and store in fridge.
Shake before using as the honey can slightly separate.

wheelz, Jul 22, 10:54pm
INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 strip lime or lemon rind
1 large ginger root, chopped
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp honey
1 cup lemon or lime juice

METHOD
Boil the water, sugar, ginger, honey, rind and cream of tartar for 5 minutes. Add the lemon or lime juice. Bring to the boil again.

Take off the heat, strain and pour into a sterilized bottle.

Use like ordinary cordial, either with iced water for a cooling drink, or hot water for a warming drink on a winter's night.

(Note: this cordial should last for several weeks in the fridge. However, if it bubbles or looks odd, throw it out.)

wheelz, Jul 22, 10:55pm
Flu Season Ginger Honey Lemon Tonic
makes one serving

1 cup water
1" or so ginger root, roughly chopped
1 organic lemon wedge
1 teaspoon honey, or to taste

Bring the water and ginger to a boil, then lower flame, add the lemon (squeeze it into the water then drop the whole thing in) and keep at a low simmer for a few minutes. Pour into a mug and stir in the honey. Drink it in good health.

wheelz, Jul 22, 10:56pm
Fill up your teakettle and get it boiling.
Meanwhile, grate a one-inch piece of fresh ginger root.
Get a thermos out. I have a quart thermos I use.
Put the ginger in the thermos.
Put a dash of lemon juice in the thermos. A dash is about 4 tablespoons. Actually, it's less of a dash and more of a small splash. :)
Add a dash of honey as well. A dash in this case is about three tablespoons. Hey, a dash means something different to all of us. Basically, add the honey to taste.
When your water is boiled, pour it in the thermos.
Cover it up and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Strain into a tea cup and enjoy!
Alternatives:

If you lack a thermos, you can also just simmer the water in an open pan with the ginger for 15 -20 minutes as well. Add the lemon and honey to the pot AFTER you are finished simmering ginger. Just strain it into your cup. When you want more, just heat it back up. I just like the thermos because when I am sick it’s hard enough just to get up let alone heat something up.

You can vary the amounts as well. Play around so you get a flavor you really like. It tastes great!

wheelz, Jul 22, 10:57pm
shall I keep going! ! Easy as to use google !

sarahb5, Jul 22, 11:03pm
Like I said before, I did google and couldn't find anything - I am trying to find a syrup I can keep in the fridge and just add to hot water as and when required.I will keep looking as I still haven't found what I'm after