Crockpot recipes kids love.

Page 2 / 2
kinna54, Jun 10, 1:56am
Bake Potatoes. Wash, scrub or peel spuds keep whole if small or cut to large chunks. dry in tea towel and season all over with whatever you fancy. Stack in crock pot and cook all day 6 to 8 hours without any water. They will be fully cooked but with be firm to bite just like a soft apple. They will cook in their own juices so don't be tempted to open lid to check on them. A great favourite at BBQ's. Experiment with seasoning and herb combinations. First comment you will get is they are not cooked but they are and will be delicious.

angel361, Jun 10, 6:23am
samandemma
can i please have your chilli recipe, thank you

kismet41, Jun 10, 7:19am
Beef sliders
Brown 1kg topside and put in crockpot.Chop 1 brown onion and 4 cloves garlic, soften and add to pot.
Add 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1/2 c BBQ sauce, 1 c beef stock, 1/4 c Worc sauce, 1/4 c maple syrup and 1 tsp smoked paprika.
Cook all day on low
Take out beef and shred with two forks.
My recipe says return to liquid but if your tribe don't like wet meat, I would keep separate and just thicken liquid for a sauce if they want it.
Serve meat on fresh rolls with coleslaw and chips (or whatever else takes their fancy)
This is a firm favourite for many teens I know.

gaspodetwd, Jun 10, 9:14am
Sausage casserole - big meaty sausages, onions, leek, baked beans, potatoes, small amount of stock or marmite. Delicious. And if the kids are fussy then they just have the sausages on toast!

Jacket potatoes - cook in foil. And add cheese, sour cream, baked beans, coleslaw or whatever.

Bolar roast. Cook until done ( all day on low) with sliced onions. Toast Turkish bread and shred the beef, top with the onions and salad and have a hot Sammie with tomato or BBQ sauce!

pigletnz25, Jun 11, 4:55am
sarahb5 wrote:

I can't think of any occasion when I would be likely to need a slow cooker in preference to any other method of cooking I have at my disposal - I even tried sending it to Wellington live with my daughter in her uni flat but it wasn't used there either.

You're still not getting what I mean about "wet" food - the meat is simply not cooked to our taste (or rather my children's taste), that's all, it has nothing to do with whether there's sauce, gravy or meat juices in the meat.

Like I said, we're all different and if OPs children aren't enjoying food cooked in the slow cooker then they're not alone and sometimes you just have to admit defeat on these things - I'd rather mine ate what I cook in the oven or on the stove top than didn't eat things I cook in the slow cooker just for the sake of convenience.

well sounds OP's children are starting to enjoy sarah5, she just needed some tips on how to use the crockpot, sometimes that happens.Maybe you are not using it correctly either.I think you thought you had some else who's children were like yours and it fed into you aregument.

pam.delilah, Jun 11, 5:23am
did a pork shoulder this way, yesterday, 4/2hrs on high , soo moist and yummy.

chchgurl, Jun 11, 6:55am
OMG not everyone has to be in love with the crockpot lol.

I have only had success with 3things on a regular basis. Pork chops, pumpkin soup and corned beef.Just can't seem to get the hang/feel of other stuff.

krispie3, Dec 12, 8:18pm
This threads awesome .so many easy ideas for our upcoming housewarming. This nervous cook is no longer nervous. Thanks all.