Healthy meal options for family please

catlover7, May 19, 3:00am
I would really like to cut back the amount of processed food that me and my children are eating. My kids eat most things which is handy, Im looking for ideas for lunches and dinners, but Im extremely busy so need sugestions that are not too time consuming,

marie196, May 19, 3:34am
Stir fries, salads, vege lasagne, fruit salad, soups and stews, baked potatoes

akd100, May 19, 3:43am
Quiche, fish pie, spag bol, wraps, crockpot meals

sossie1, May 19, 3:45am
cook double, freeze half

tats63, May 19, 3:46am
We are having chorizo pilaf tonight.Very easy -I love a dish where the rice cooks in the meal.

sarahb5, May 19, 4:07am
Check out the Healthy Food Guide website - not only does it have lots of great recipes (the peanut chicken with rice is particularly good) but it also has some healthy make-overs of traditional recipes.I'm also time poor but I still cook fresh food and no processed "stuff" for our meals - keep it simple is the best way if you're time poor.Lunches are basic but the kids have always made their own anyway - sandwiches with their choice of filling, a bag of chips or popcorn, fruit and home baking.

sarahb5, May 19, 4:37am

bedazzledjewels, May 19, 4:41am
The key to avoiding as much processed food as possible OP is to plan ahead. You need to work out a week's menus and cook enough to freeze some down for another meal. Sometimes preparing a basic mince base that you can later add different spices, herbs to can be a good idea. Prepare as much as you can in the weekends.

elliehen, May 19, 6:04am
This is a great idea.Cook when you have time and are feeling energetic so that on busy days when you're tired you've got something to pull out of the freezer.

blueskyday, May 19, 6:27am
I am using my crockpot heaps for veg curry.Put in can of korma sauce, heaps of cubbed potato, sliced onions, can of chickpeas, cubbed kumara, heaps of red lentils and other assorted veg.Then fill up with hot water.Cook for about 1/2 day. Absolutely yummy.My five year old loves this meal.PS:usually we have this two nights in a row or half can be frozen

duckmoon, May 19, 9:47am
Buy Jamie olivers 30minute meals.

It is the next purchase for me. I have read the book and loved it

duckmoon, May 19, 9:49am
If time is an issue
Start reading website about "once a month cooking"
Even if you start by cooking double and freezing it, you are halving the amount of time you spend in the kitchen

catlover7, May 19, 9:56am
sadly thanks to the quake I only have a little freezer on top of my fridge or this would be a great idea :)

sarahb5, May 19, 11:04pm
Sometimes you just have to get tough if you want to change things and simply stop buying the processed foods you don't want your family to eat.

It's just as quick and easy to make spag bol from scratch with fresh mince, veggies and canned tomatoes as it is to make it using a jar of pasta sauce - by the time the water's boiled for the pasta the sauce is pretty much ready.This is just an example of course but I make chicken nuggets by simply slicing up a chicken breast, coating in breadcrumbs and pan frying.Another favourite here is nachos - mince, onion, can of chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans - either canned or dried.You can serve this with corn chips, tortillas, jacket potatoes or rice.Add or reduce the amount of spice to suit the whole family or simply have sour cream or yoghurt on hand to cool it down.

Like you I don't like feeding my family processed stuff if I can avoid it and by not having it in the house there's no temptation to do so.I like to know what we're eating and cooking from scratch doesn't have to take any longer than buying ready made, processed stuff.Ready made processed stuff has it's place and as stand-bys or after school snacks 2 minute noodles, frozen pizzas or chicken burgers are fine occasionally but my kids (teenage boys) are just as happy to make scrambled egg, a bacon sandwich or pikelets.

bev00, Aug 29, 11:34am
Hearty pasta Bake
Meat sauce
2 TBLSP oil
2 medium onions peeled and chopped
500gms minced beef or lamb
2 cups spicy pasta sauce from jar or can
3 TBLSP chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pasta
500 gm dried penne or rigatoni pasta
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables

Cheese Sauce
100 gm butter or marg
1/4 cup flour
3 cups low fat milk
1 cup grated tasty cheese
3 egg yolks
Preheat oven 180, spray deep sided (10cm deep) 30 cm x 25cm baking dish or small lasagne dish with non-stick baking spray.
Make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onions and cook 3 - 4 min, add mince cook 5 min breaking up any lumps. Stir through the pasta sauce and parsley, season with s & p. Let meat sauce simmer while you cook the pasta.
Cook pasta in plenty of gently boiling, well salted water until just tender about 10 min. Add frozen vege's and cook a further 2 min. Drain in large sieve or colander, return to the pot and stir throught the meat sauce.
Make the cheese sauce, melt butter in large saucepan, add flour and stir with a wire whisk for 1 min, whisk in milk, then cheese and egg yolks. Stir til sauce thickens and is smooth.
Pour the meat and vege pasta into prepared dish, pour over cheese sauce and bake for about 30 min until top is golden brown.
Servie with a crispy green salad and crusty bread rolls.