How to incorporate lentils into mince?

mattdylan, Mar 11, 10:09pm
x1
I want to make my mince go further by double, and thought I would add lentils - how do I do this just cook the dry lentils and add to mince! it's for wraps BTW

245sam, Mar 11, 10:31pm
mattdylan, IMO you have a choice when adding lentils to mince.

1. Last week we attended a Destitute Gourmet Sophie Gray demonstration evening and this is from her notes:
"Red lentils blend easily with beef mince.To use the lentils as a meat extender allow around ½ cup lentils per 500g mince.Cook the lentils in boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
In a medium-sized pan brown the meat, add the onion and garlic, and continue to cook until soft.Add the remainder of the ingredients and 1½ tsp beef stock.When the lentils are cooked stir them into the meat sauce and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes until the flavours are developed."

2. I use red and/or brown/green lentils to make a mince-all-in-one meal using onion, garlic, carrot and whatever other vegetables are available, and I add the raw lentils to the mince and vegetables so they cook together - in this way they serve a double purpose i.e. they extend the mince + they thicken the mixture.The brown/green lentils require up to 40-50 minutes cooking so I add them soon after the mixture comes to the boil and allow them to simmer with the meat and veg.The red lentils require up to 25-35 minutes cooking time so they are added later.

Hope that helps.:-))

jen69, Mar 11, 10:35pm
I use canned lentils, from the supermarket and just throw them in with the browned mince etc. Canned lentils arequick and convenient, but you can cook dried red ones fairly quickly for 20 minutes or so,which may work out cheaper. Or with wraps you could add canned beans e.g. black beans, red kidney beans, chilli beans, to bulk it out. Healthy Food guide website has lots of ideas. www.healthyfood.co.nz

mattdylan, Mar 11, 10:39pm
awesome thanks!