Making sour cream.

falconhell2002, Apr 10, 4:53am
Am I remembering right that you can make sour cream by adding lemon juice to cream and mixing? TIA.

uli, Apr 10, 5:13am
Sour cream is cream which has been fermented by lactic acid bacteria. At home sour cream can be made with cream plus fresh buttermilk. You need to keep the mix warm (like in a yoghurt maker or polystyrene container) and it will produce something similar to sour cream over night, most likely not as firm though.

Or if in a hurry you can make a "Mock Sour Cream"
from cottage cheese, some lemon juice and a few spoonfuls of milk.
Just mix all in a blender until smooth.

Sweet cream and lemon juice will most likely just curdle.

falconhell2002, Apr 10, 5:24am
Thank you uli, I thought I had read somewhere that you can just mix the 2 and tada! sour cream. Glad I asked before I tried to make it for the kids who want spag bol and sour cream for tea. You help as always is appreciated.

crsdbl, Apr 10, 5:44am
i did a bit of a google and found this recipe, it says you can use white vinegar? ? sounds simple enough, wonder if it really works? i might give it a go sometime.

Homemade Sour Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream or buttermilk (or even white vinegar will work)

Instructions

In a screw-top jar or mason jar with lid, combine the heavy cream and sour cream (or buttermilk). Shake the ingredients up a bit to thoroughly mix and let stand, covered, at room temperature for about 24 hours or until it becomes very thick. You can store your sour cream in the refrigerator in the original jar you mixed it in (or use some other resealable container) for up to one week. Make sure that your sour cream is well chilled before using.

If you want to make a lighter sour cream, substitute whole milk for 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.

edited to add... . . its not instant though.

garryb, Apr 10, 5:50am
Regular cream, lemon juice to taste and whip it. Best sour cream ever. Been doing it that way for over 30 years.

falconhell2002, Apr 10, 6:53am
Thanks everyone, unfortunately its a bit late now but will remember it for next time.

standard, Jan 17, 10:44pm
All I do very successfully is to 1 cup milk add 2 tsp vinegar, magic! !