Cleaning a Pizza Stone?

leebee35, Mar 21, 5:45am
Any comments on this. as I went to get mine out of the bottom draw and there was mould!errggghhh.

It seems very stained from cheese too.

auntlb, Mar 21, 6:03am
I scrubbed mine with baking soda, salt and water then rinsed well and put in the oven to dry before using.
After each use I rinse when cool and place in the oven to dry before putting away

gardie, Mar 21, 6:47am
This sounds like good advice.Personally, I now put the pizza onto a baking sheet and then onto the stone.The stone looks pretty gross though - I just reckon it is 'seasoned' as it makes great pizza.

falcon-hell, Mar 21, 7:15am
i scrape off anything thats left on it and give it a quick rinse but i do leave it on top of the stove overnight to airdry,love using these stones,i have 2,that i use all the time and wouldn't go back to oven trays.

cookessentials, Mar 21, 8:09am
I just wash mine and being glazed, everything just slides off.

shop-a-holic, Mar 21, 11:36am
Used my pizza stone once, years ago, and couldn't get it clean. Therefore, it's was out the door.There is no need to use one.

cookessentials, Mar 21, 5:45pm
Get yourself an Emile Henry.I love mine

macandrosie, Mar 22, 6:42am
I think they kind of take on the flavours of cooking & oils, which is ok, my best baking dishes (some loaf tins which are 30 years old have a nice almost oily coating. they never rust or mould,you don't need to scrub them just wash in warm soapy water). The pizza stone may improve with age. Putting in the sun might help with the mould though.

aw217, Mar 22, 7:38pm
How long are you meant to heat thyem for before you put the oizza on please. And at what temperature. I was given a second hand one and it has not instructions.
Thanks

knowsley, Mar 22, 8:30pm
I cook my pizzas at full heat, after leaving the stone in the oven for around an hour. Does depend on the pizza you are cooking - mine are the more traditional thin crust ones that will cook in a few minutes.

falcon-hell, Mar 22, 9:14pm
i heat my for ages too,the dough starts cooking straightaway when you put it on the stone,and they don't take too long to cook at all.

aw217, Mar 22, 10:19pm
Oh how embarrassing, I have just tried to read my last comment and see it's ridden with mistakes.so sorry.
I cook the thin crust too, I think I will get the stone out again and give it another try.