Help! Ever melted plastic on the element rings

zuggle, Mar 31, 6:34am
and how do you get it off, please! Was transferring beans from a plastic bowl into a pot boiling on the stove and without knowing (until I smelt it!) I had accidentally knocked the element underneath the plastic bowl on to "on". Phwoarr! What a pong! White gooey plastic now stuck all over element, hardened now and won't budge.
Your successful solutions, please. TIA

cookessentials, Mar 31, 7:26am
Is it the older style radiant element, like a coil! If it is, just buy a new one from the hardware store.

dwyn5, Mar 31, 9:34am
No personal experience of this but I wonder if heating the element slightly warm again until it could be cleaned off with wads of paper kitchen towels, or something else disposable.Wet sponge!Chucks multicloth!Don't burn fingers!

south_1, Mar 31, 9:53am
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO BUYSOME DISNEY CHARACTER TOPPERS FOR CAKES! LET ME KNOW CHEERS

pheebs1, Mar 31, 10:43am
i would just keep it on high till its all burnt off completely it will stink to high heaven while your doing it but surely like any fuel it will burn till its burnt out and nothin is left but a bit of charr easily brushed off

zuggle, Mar 31, 7:19pm
Yes it is. I think this is the ideal option but given that it is a very old stove (inherited with this house and am presently saving to replace) am really not willing to do the electric part of it - even though the oven would be turned off at wall and mains - in case some rust or something electrifies something it shouldn't. Bottom line: just don't trust old stuff when it comes to electricity. Seems I will have to burn it off as suggested above with plenty of ventilation as that will be carcinogenic. Thanks everyone.

whitehead., Mar 31, 8:28pm
stood there and scrapped with a coin till i had most of it off

lindskii, Mar 31, 9:32pm
If they are removable, I'd put it in the freezer so the plastic becomes brittle for scraping off.

zuggle, Apr 1, 12:58am
Thank you everyone! A very light but laborious sanding with fine sandpaper wore away 99% of it, then a little "smoking" session briefly and all gone. Phew! The cook is back in action!

dwyn5, Apr 1, 2:54am
Well done, zuggle, I would never have thought of sandpaper in a million years!

lythande1, Apr 1, 7:01am
Turn it back on and burn it off, stinks but it works.

cookessentials, Apr 1, 7:30am
The radiant rings just plug in like a light socket. You can buy them from a hardware store.

zuggle, Apr 1, 9:32am
Yes, but this was a coil element. Different connection. Anyway, problem solved, thanks.