Feijoa Jam.

fisher, Apr 1, 3:46am
Kathy is making feijoa Jam.feijoa with skins on.sugar and a little water plus some ginger. boiled it down but doesn't seem to set. whats up.! cheers IA.
2.5kg feijoas. 7 cups of sugar.1 cup of water.juice of 3 lemons.ginger powder for flavour.

margyr, Apr 1, 3:55am
not been a jam maker fisher, but seem to think not enough sugar is the problem, Mum used to do 3 lb plums and 3 lb sugar.

elliehen, Apr 1, 11:52am

winnie231, Apr 1, 12:16pm
Fisher my friend .
my guess would also be not enough sugar to fruit ratio.
With any new jam recipe 1:1 is the rule I go with until I can prove otherwise.
Hi to Kathy & I hope she can rescue her jam! :D

wheelz, Apr 1, 8:59pm
feijoa jam is gritty, by making jelly, you avoid this.

lilyfield, Apr 1, 9:18pm
one to one correct
and I never minded the grittiness

makespacenow, Apr 2, 12:50am
i never use the 1:1 ratio.most sugar i use is 350g per 1 kg of fruit.
last year i made about 100 jars of sugar fee feijoa jam/fruit spread people eere adking for more.you got to use some lemon juice/pectin stock/pectin powder (i posted recipe few weeks ago so use the search function) using pectin stock will set it you dont have to use any sugar and will cook fadt so you retaincthat highly fragranced feijoa taste.cant wait gor my fruit this year.

susieq9, Apr 2, 1:26am
I wouldn't use any water. 1kg fruit and about 400gm sugar and juice of 1 lemon. No problems with it setting, just may have to cook a little longer than the usual recipes.Good luck.would also only leave half the quantity of skin on the feijoas. I have also done that.

phoenix2004, Apr 2, 8:44am
oo sounds yummy

fisher, Apr 3, 4:17am
well thanks for all the replies.bit of panic from her part methinks.lol.
added a little more sugar (we are cutting back on sugar) and she bottled it anyways.told her not to overcook it and bottle it anyways. can always bin it after the fact. "emotions" were gonna chuck it out. but. it's perfectly set and tastes lovely.now what to do with all these jars.LoL.

Hiyas Winnie.Maui and Oahu were fantastic. drove right aroundboth islands. great place Hawaii.Lots of top restaurants ( some great Thai Chefs) . Fiji was great apart from me falling through the hatch on the Yacht and cracking my collar bone.LOL too many bourbons after a great snorkel.getting back on deck and thinking about Tahiti next year. Hope you and yours are good and your enjoying the "top o' the south" . great place to be enjoying life.:}keep well.

guest, Jan 11, 7:24am
Stay with this guys, you're hepnlig a lot of people.

guest, Jan 13, 1:44pm
ashlyns1Wedalert, we are all having the same issue, and have all foleowld these instructions to no avail. I would suggest that perhaps there is another issue preventing the form from showing? How can we all enter so that we have a fair chance?

guest, Jan 14, 9:56am
they have no information on the mtrees. Then the supervisor calls like 2 days later and says there is not opt out and to check the manufacture for information. He just says it is safe and does not have radiation.But I see a lot of different stories online. I also found that mtrees may not be UL certified or FCC certified for the signal they put out. The last thing I am seeing is that I am finding that there is not federal Mandate to requite them. If this is so why are places going through all this trouble to remove them.