Bulking up meals

gollywogs1, May 10, 10:30am
does anyone have any good meal ideas that can be bulked up! just for example ive made a version of spag bol' buy grating in carrots, corgets (cant spell it sorry) spinich etc then just the mince and sauce its good but would love to do more of this type of stuff anytings good :)

lilyfield, May 10, 10:33am
courgettes- spinach

gollywogs1, May 10, 10:35am
thanks mate :)

nfh1, May 10, 10:41am
You could add lentils to spaghetti, chilli and other mince dishes.

beaker59, May 10, 11:05am
Chickpeas are great about 2 bucks from PnS for 500g of dried chickpeas soak overnight in water then change water I cook mine in slow cooker about 3 hours on high. You can cook on the stove in a pot slowly until tender when cooked fill into jars with the juice. The cooked peas can be added to salads, casseroles, mince, rissoles great in curries there is a really nice Kumara chickpea curry recipe on here some where, you can whizz them to make dips etc all sorts of things Keep the juice it sets in the jars like a jelly and as great for adding too. The peas in jars keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Very nutritious a nice taste and texture and really bulks out all dishes so they go much further.

books4nz, May 10, 11:09am
Agree with lentils - the red ones (they look orange) cook easily and quickly, and have a good texture when included in mince dishes.
Any of the wide range of dried legume's - dried beans, chickpeas, etc. Cheap at Bin Inn and Asian stores, also available already cooked in cans near canned tomatoes at the supermarket.
Rolled oats - added to meat loaves, meat patties, spaghetti bolognese mix too.
Wheatgerm too.
Leeks are in season now, great chopped to add to soups, casserole's, meat loaves, etc.
Potatoes, swede's, kumara chopped or grated to add.
Pumpkin - the green buttercup squash type are still around a dollar each - grate or chop to add to the same as above.
Choko's are coming into season too - add as above.
Tinned chopped tomatoes can be added to many dishes too - got some tonight at Countdown - 95c a can - sometimes the larger tins are around $2 - I recommend the chopped option as they're easily mixed in.
Chopped onion also.
For extra taste, add herbs and spices too.