Pureed diet for 6 weeks after surgery

sar16, May 11, 6:37am
Anyone have any ideas for nice tasty food that can be easily pureed!I'm at week one.going to be a long 6 weeks.LOL

lindi4, May 11, 6:46am
Veges like cauliflour, brocolli. pumpkin. Together: silver beet carrot n potato. get good flavours going by cooking in stock. Soups are good.

marcs, May 11, 7:12am
I had gastric banding done and had to do the pureed food thing. As long as you have a blender, you can blend any of your dinner up including pasta. Rice was a bit gluggy and did not go down well but potatoes, meat and vegeies pureed up is fine. I just did this with normal dinner dishes.

olwen, May 11, 7:13am
Pate, hummus etc. Is this a gastric bypass!Things like cruskits and waterthin cracker bikkies basically dissolve.Creamoata with pureed fruit was something I ate early on.

kinna54, May 11, 7:15am
Only thing I can suggest is don't mix it all together to puree: It is revolting! At one stage I helped to cook at an old people's home and they used to puree the meals for some of the folk.and they wondered why they wouldn't eat them!
I used to puree everything seperate, pumpkin, potato etc and dish it up like a meal.yeh it took a few mins longer but it got eaten and was far more appetising.
Some suggestions are stewed apples or fruit, with yoghurt, anything you would normally cook really.
Good luck with it.

atlantean04, May 11, 8:03am
I always made extra baby food, so I could eat some too, I loved pureed meat and vegetables.

I always use pumpkin and carrot, and usually a green veg.You can never add enough veg in my opinion.
Also smoothies made with yoghurt, milk and fruit (and ice cream if you want)

sar16, May 11, 9:23am
Thanks everyone.no not gastric banding I had a Fundoplication.for severe acid reflux.I have been to scared to try meat and or rice and not even tried them so maybe will give it ago.I have been very cautious to say the least and have been having lots of soups and yoghurts so was looking to see other ideas.I am not overly creative in the kitchen at the best of times.LOL.Will try the suggestions so many thanks

schnauzer11, May 11, 9:33am
Your fellow-Fundo here! I certainly blended all together.As a protein base for my veg I often pan-fried chicken livers(hey,that's pate!)and then blended with the cooked veg.Add a little salt,but avoid pepper,or anything hot,for a few weeks.I found chicken was easier to blend than red meat.You can add a little grated cheese to your mix while it's hot,to boost protein/calcium.I'm a bit of a foodie,so had to have it tasting good!Add a pinch of brown sugar to your mix to bring out the flavour.Take care,and take it easy.Happier days ahead!

asue, May 11, 10:56am
Baby food - comes in great varieties and small packages so ok to throw out if you can't handle too much or don't like it.Also smoothies, I used tins of creamed rice for the base then added fruit etc

whitehead., May 12, 2:14am
paw paw is great as a meat too

sar16, May 12, 5:48am
awww yum they sound like good ideas too.thanks

cookessentials, May 12, 9:04am
Pretty much anything can be done. I used to puree our main meal for our Son when he was a baby. I just did it in the kitchen whizz. Roast meat, potato, kumara, various green vege or carrots and a little gravy just whizzed up. You can make various soups too, like pumpkin, leek and blue cheese, leek & potato etc.

thesmiths9, May 12, 9:30am
Brocolli and coriander soup is nice and easy to do. Can add Blue cheese if you like the flavour. Pumpkin mashed with feta or cream cheese. Had to do soft foods myself for a while. Feel for you as it can be tedious. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

sar16, May 13, 8:52am
Thanks for more ideas.Yes it is getting a wee bit tedious already.Had family for dinner tonight and pureed roast chicken and veges etc.seemed like a criminal act.LOL.I found I was also hesitant to eat the meat so may just go back to doing the veges for my main meal.Last night I made a nice big pot of vegetable stew ( a recipe I found) and it was really very nice.I find the flavour makes a big difference and bearable!

cookessentials, May 13, 9:00am
Why are you hesitant to eat the meat! Used to love eating the babies pureed "roast" meal LOL

schnauzer11, May 13, 11:32am
Probably because the surgery she has had can make swallowing textured food very uncomfortable.Vegies are more forgiving in the early weeks.