Do you de vein your prawns?

mattdylan, Feb 23, 10:11pm
I was cooking prawns the other day and noticed some had those black veins (or poo tube things) on the top AND bottom, yuk i tried to get them all out - do you do the same!

davidt4, Feb 23, 10:12pm
Always devein them.Cut a narrow slit along the back and pull out the digestive tract.

ant_sonja, Feb 23, 10:21pm
yep, always - too gritty (also gross lol) otherwise. Do as davidt4 suggests, pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

lodgelocum, Feb 23, 10:26pm
Yes, most definitely, don't want to eat the black tract, yukky

elliehen, Feb 23, 10:33pm
Just don't bother with a whitebait ;)

lurtz, Feb 23, 10:53pm
ElliehenI always love your humour. This post reminded of yours reminds me ofwhen I was a kiddie, andI used to painstakingly dissectwhitebait fritters and cut off the tiny end with the eyes. I didn't like them looking at me. Makes me laugh to think about it now.

unknowndisorder, May 6, 9:33am
Just a quick bump :)

zharacadz, May 6, 9:50am
Geez, throwing out my shrimp now! Did not know Ihad to do that, and have no idea how. Too much work, lol! Bugger :(

kiwiscrapper1, May 6, 10:01am
YES.always, I'm not into eating poop!

cookessentials, May 6, 7:03pm
It's not difficult. I use de veining scissors which are curved and easily snip up the back of the prawn to expose the vein.

persioux, May 7, 12:23am
I always de-vein prawns. I can never really figure out why we do this as we eat the whole mussel & cockle etc without taking out their scary bits.

fisher, May 7, 11:39am
toothpick,,,,,is the weapon to use ,,,, :}