Yoghurt maker

Page 1 / 2
lostbooks, May 4, 9:31pm
x1
Ifairly recently bought a yoghurt maker, thought it would be easy.wrong I only have a 50% maybe less success rate, yoghurt is more often than not still liquid next day, Quite sure I get the time frame right, and water room temp.Manufacturers have given advice about water temperature etc and readily replaced products but alas it seems I am not to be a yoghurt maker!any comment/advice.

evorotorua, May 4, 9:57pm
I am not sure exactly how you are doing it but I mix my powder in cool water in the jar and put it in the maker which has boiling water in it. I have sometimes replaced the boiling water about half way through especially in winter. Keep trying.

cappucino1, May 4, 10:13pm
youghurt from a youghurt maker is never going to be as thick as it is when you buy it but it shouldn't be liquid either- seems odd that you aren't having much luck cos there shouldn't be too much that can go wrong.

Make sure especially in winter that the water you are using to mix the yoghurt isn't cold and that the water you are putting the container into is boiling.Also, do you add any sugar to the mix- a spoonful or two could help.Make sure that you are shaking the mixture enough and that when you have finished shaking it that you take the lid off, add any remaining water needed so that there is no air space left in the container and then replace the lid and place it straight into the boiling water.

mwood, May 4, 10:24pm
try the newEsi Yo Coconut & Greek mix - this is thickest

mwood, May 4, 10:26pm
also the issue could be in your water - try using cooled boiled water to mix and a spoonful of powdered milk or powdered coconut milk will also help thicken.

beaker59, May 4, 10:56pm
I had similar issues and worked out that the mix wasn't reaching peak temp long enough. I started adding more hot water to the maker and the problem was imediately fixed I get really thick yogurt now.

I don't use the powdered mixes though but use ordinary blue top milk and a culture of either commercial yogurt or the previous batch.

connor2003, May 5, 1:31am
I use cold water to mix my powdered yoghurt with and have never had any problems

harrislucinda, May 5, 2:29am
justmadethesweetgreek
nextdaystillliquidso addedmorehotwaterfewhrslateritdidfirmupbutwasnot thesamecuddled
beenokmakingplaingreekso sometimesjustdoes,ntwork

magenta, May 5, 4:00am
I bought an electric yogurt maker which keeps the heat even and you can leave the mixture in till it thickens properly. I also use slightly tepid water as this makes the whole process much faster.Greek yoghurt mix is definitely thicker than the others.

dakota24, May 5, 5:12am
thanks for all the comments, i will hang in with it and see if I get more consistant results.will definitely try the greek yoghurt mixture. :-)

janny3, May 5, 6:44am
Easiyo!Shake your powder in the jar w/ half the amount of cold water. Then since the weather has become frosty, colder, top up the jar w/ warm/hot/tap water.Also in colder weather, fill your outer jar w/ boiling water about 1 cm higher than the baffle mark.Wrap a towel around your maker and/or pop into the hot water cupboard.You can leave it there around 12 hours and up to 24 without spoiling.

lostbooks, May 5, 11:17pm
thanks janny3, those sound like good tips, I just made the easiyo strawberry and once again it was liquid next morning. RU sure the warmth won't make it 'go off' I am not really sure about all this warmth I get concerned with dairy getting too warm!

evorotorua, May 5, 11:28pm
The warmth is probably the most important part. The cultures necessary to make yogurt need to 'grow' and warmth is required. You chill it once the yogurt is made and all will be well. Commercial yogurt is made with heat too.

lindylambchops1, May 5, 11:55pm
I love my Easiyo, had it for years, since they first came out.I am looking out for that new flavour coconut & Greek Yogurt!

shellie72, May 6, 12:08am
Im not sure where you are going wrong. I mix my yogurt mix with cold water from the tap, and fill the maker itself with boiling water from the kettle. My yogurt always comes out very very thick, thicker than the average supermarket yogurt. Are you using the Esiyo brand of mixes!

harrislucinda, May 6, 2:32am
beenoutformthsnow lookon theshelves

lostbooks, May 6, 2:38am
thank you for the info on cultures, will definitely hang in with the yoghurt maker, obviously there are more success stories than disasters lol

lostbooks, May 6, 2:39am
yes I am using Easiyo, will keep on taking all the advice that has been offered.thank you.

grantfx, May 6, 3:09am
I have been using yoghurt makers since early 1990s with only ever a couple of fails.
Electric one at home, and easiyo/hot water one at work. With the easiyo one, I half full the container with cold water and add packet contents and shake thoroughly, then add more cold water to just below the fill to here line. Then boiling water in to the maker to the top of the red thingy, put the container in, then full tothe top with hot water and leave it on the bench for 8 hours. If it is slightly runny I empty the water & add more boiling water for another 4 hours. Worked when I lived in Christchurch & Auckland so weather temp never affected it for me. I have used the easiyo & hansells packets, both with the same success.
Before I got my electric one I used to use this recipe in the oven, which also never failed.

4 c warm water1c milk powder2tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dissolved gelatine
1 tin evaporated milk
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 275°C or 525°F
Mix all ingrediants adding the yoghurt last. Put in an enamel or pyrex container. Place in oven, turn oven off. Leave 6-8 hours or overnight. Refrigerate.

janny3, May 6, 7:17am
Gosh I am so sorry about your disappointments.Seems so expensive to have to waste the product as its not cheap.Please tell us what you're doing so we can try to help.

Plz don't give up, its really worthwhile to have a steady supply of fresh real yoghurt on hand.

The warmth won't make it go off.The extra boiling water around the jar and some warm water added into your mix helps in colder weather.Also hot water cupboard ensures the yoghurt cultures have enough consistent warmth to grow and multiply.They need the warmth, moisture and lactose to do that.

Do you use a clean water supply or boiled, cooled water!Check if your maker jar's clean (sometimes bacteria or other yeasts can contaminate containers, esp in damp, or humid environments so rinse & dry before use).

I use Easiyo makers I picked 2 up for a cpl of $ at the Sallie shop.All I had to buy is the jar refills from the supermarket.Anyway I love Hansell's flavours and the more affordable prices (their strawberry I prefer to Easiyo Strawberries & cream).BUT I had a stuff up a cpl of years ago w/ a Hansells yoghurt mix.Turns out the money-grubbing dairy owner sold outdated stock.It had sat on Mr Stingey's hot metal shelves in the heat of the Far North sun, without any aircon for YEARS.Hansells apologised and sent out replacements PLUS an instruction sheet w/ hints and tips.http://www.hansells.com/ourfoods/browseourrange/Hansells/RealYoghurtMaker.aspxI hope your sachet's aren't duds!Since that disaster I've made sure the water quality is esp clean (rain water supply) boiled then cooled to ensure no stray bacteria in the water supply can overpower the delicate acidophillus or acidiphillus cultures.Also if unsure of use-by-dates or incorrect storage (hot rooms for months etc) I stir in a cpl of TB of fresh yoghurt, just in case the sachet culture has weakened, aged in my kitchen (best to store unopened packages in the fridge).Otherwise I mix my ingredients in the jar that still has a little live and clean, fresh yoghurt still left in it (no dirty little ratbag's spoons go into my jar).
The yoghurt is always thick and creamy, whether I splash out on the sachet mixes or make up my own recipes.Sometimes I've made yoghurt from use-by flavoured milks by scalding then cooling & stirring in a cpl TB fresh yoghurt & milk powder or a few TB of Easiyo/Hansell's mix.http://katsyfga.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/make-your-own-yogurt/

kay141, May 6, 7:26am
I use Easiyo packets. i've always used cold tap water, followed the instructions on the packet with boiling water up to the top of the red thing. Never added warm water to the mixture or extra boiling in the maker and never had a failure yet. Always seems quite thick and gets thicker in the fridge when the whey separates. I only use the natural flavour and haven't tried the greek. It seems a bit scarce in my supermarket as all I can find is greek with honey and I don't want it sweetened.

janny3, Sep 18, 5:20pm

lilyfield, Sep 18, 7:35pm
I use whichever is on special. If its a very good price I buy heaps at once and store in freezer. Mix mine in a jug with lukewarm water, transfer to potted, and always turn maker on well ahead of time,:. Leave over night, boiling water to the brim, some times top it up in cold weatherNever a failure,.

bunnyangel, Sep 18, 8:38pm
I had the same problem and got in touch with the easiyo people and they suggested to have the mixing water at between about 18 and 22 degrees c. Since I have been checking the water temp I have had no failures.Hope this helps

nzhel, Sep 19, 1:11am
I've had an Easiyo maker just about ever since they came out and in all that time only had about 2-3 failures. I just follow the instructions on the packet - turns out perfectly every time!