Preserved ginger

dawnay, May 3, 10:25pm
x1
Is this the same as the crystallised glace ginger in the packets on the supermarket shelf, or not!I need preserved ginger for a chutney I want to make and I have got the glace ginger, the ginger root, and the ground ginger.Would any of these be a good alternative or should I try and get the proper preserved ginger, whatever that is!If so, where would I find it at the supermarket!Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

retired, May 3, 10:27pm
Preserve Ginger is in a syrup.You will find it in a jar in most supermarkets.

indy95, May 3, 11:19pm
Dawnay, I have used both crystallised ginger and ginger in syrup in chutneys and they both work well without any noticeable effect on the texture of the finished chutney. I would use whatever you have without going to the trouble of buying anything else.

dawnay, May 4, 1:18am
Thank you.Now I can go ahead and make the chutney!

cgvl, May 4, 1:19am
I use the stuff in the box (crystallized) ginger in all my recipes unless it states ground ginger. and even then if its in certain jams, chutneys or baked goods will sometimes add the crystallized glace ginger.
Love to eat it as is as well

norse_westie, May 4, 2:54am
I can't use it for anything as it seems to all fall directly into my mouth.

cgvl, May 4, 3:02am
ha ha norse-westie, I buy 2 packets one for me and one for whatever I'm making. Have to keep the other half away from it too. Really nice covered with chocolate as well

sarahb5, May 4, 3:10am
Buderim also now make "naked ginger" which is preserved in a similar way but without the crystallized coating - it's yummy and I prefer it in baking as it doesn't add quite so much sugary sweetness

245sam, May 4, 3:33am
dawnay, no offence intended, but is your recipe an old one!My reason for asking is because many years ago ginger in syrup was almost impossible to buy (and if it could be found it was really expensive and considered very special), so any in recipe from that time when it states 'preserved ginger' then in nowday's terms it would really mean what we now usually know of as crystallised ginger.

Hope that helps.:-))

Edited to add.To check what I believed to be the case I have now checked Countdown's website and confirmed my belief i.e. while some brands e.g. Buderim, label their sugar-coated packeted ginger as Crystallised Ginger, Tasti brand retains the traditional labelling and is labelled as 'Preserved Ginger', confirming my thought that your recipe requires the sugar-coated form of ginger.:-))

245sam, May 4, 3:46am
In January while enjoying 3 weeks in Queensland we had the pleasure of taking in a tour of the Buderim ginger factory at Yandina where we saw the ginger being processed.
'Naked' ginger is processed exactly the same as the Crystallised ginger except that at the end of the cooking process its sugary outer is washed to remove the sugar crystals while the Crystallised ginger has added sugar crystals.:-))

jenniferanne, May 4, 8:29am
Here in Wanganui the Bulk food Barn (old binn inn) sels preserved ginger