Bottling fruit in water?

darlingmole, May 1, 10:41pm
I know I've seen it on here but just can't find it.Instead of using the sugar water syrup method you can just bottle the fruit in water.Has anyone done this before!I'm loathe to use so much sugar (so unhealthy) . please help me, this is my only day off this week to get my feijoa's sorted!

lilyfield, May 1, 10:44pm
you mean for preserving! I have never ever added sugar. Just boil and use overflow method

darlingmole, May 1, 10:52pm
could you explain the overflow method please lilyfield! (and yes, for putting in jars and eating over Winter)

elliehen, May 1, 11:14pm
Until lilyfield comes back, darlingmole, it's simply stewing your fruit with water in a pot on the stovetop, sterilising your jars as usual in the oven, and when the fruit is soft, filling your hot jars until the liquid flows over the top and sealing them straightaway with perfit seals and rings (or pop-tops, as long as they still work ).

If your jars have air bubbles, you can poke a clean flat knife down the insides to release them, because you don't want a large air-gap at the top of the fruit.

darlingmole, May 1, 11:28pm
thank you so much elliehen - off I go to bottle my fruit! big YAY!

lilyfield, May 2, 8:18am
exactly elliehen- have done it all my life like that

darlingmole, May 2, 8:26am
well I managed to bottle only 4 big jars this morning . kind of lost a bit of momentum.However I've saved 2 ice-cream containers full of washed, sliced feijoa's ready to make chutney on Friday, given away another huge bag of fruit, and then collected another 2 huge bags of fruit!WIllbottle some more I'm thinking and then save some just for crumbles.It's amazing how good "free" good tastes - Praise God!

whitehead., May 2, 9:11am
when using the over flow method run your finger around the top just before you put the lid on and you should get a clean sealjust water works well

guest, Jan 11, 10:18am
This info is the cat's pajsmaa!

guest, Jan 13, 2:09pm
Try tweaking dieffrent recipes and techniques to create your own. This will help you decide which sites should be discontinued because they are not effective. NEWSMEAT? Pat Boone's federal campaign contribution search results. Mr. Pat Boone Los Angeles, CA 90036 SELF EMPLOYED/ENTERTAINER. Ancient Gold Handle of a Dagger Is Displayed Together. Rio Tinto Plans $2 Billion Indian Investment 2:26 PM. Where can I buy genuine gold jewelry here in Riyadh? :Buying Gold. Technorati Tags: gold jewelry, google, map, riyadh, script type, text javascript.