Too much rhubarb

loopymiss, Jan 31, 11:13pm
We have got too much rhubarb! ! I have been stewing it and putting it in the freezer. I have made strawberry and rhubarb jam ( which is very delish! ! ! ) BUT... I still have loads of it left and would like some ideas please on what to do with it.

245sam, Jan 31, 11:17pm
Here's a very popular use for some of your rhubarb

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2. 5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen.
Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients & once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick & stodgy. Place the rhubarb & custard mixture into a 1. 5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.

For more ideas have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz - in the "Desserts" thread and in "The Fruit Thread"

and for more ideas/recipes I suggest that you try Search option here on this MB - enter the word 'rhubarb' and 'Anytime' as the 'Date posted' option and you'll find the earlier threads.

Hope this helps. :-))

davidt4, Jan 31, 11:17pm
This cake works with many fruits but is excellent with rhubarb.

Fruit Puree Cake

500g cooked fruit:apple/peach/pear/apricot/rhuba-
rb/feijoa/mango
1 c. raisins
1 c. walnuts/pecans broken into quarters
125g butter
1 ½ c sugar
2 eggs
2 c. plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon/ginger/cardamom (as appropriate to fruit)

Set oven to 180 degrees C.
Butter and flour bundt tin or other ring tin.
Puree fruit while hot and add raisins. Allow to cool (or refrigerate overnight). Add nuts.
Sift flour, soda, salt and spice.
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs. Fold in alternately the flour and fruit mixtures in 3 parts.
Bake 50 – 60 minutes. Stand 10 min. before turning out.
Dust with icing sugar.

davidt4, Jan 31, 11:18pm
Fruit Cobbler

8 sticks rhubarb or equivalent raw fruit
1/4c sugar
1 tab flour

Toss and put in baking dish.

1c flour
1 tab sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
75g butter
3/4c cream or milk or buttermilk

Rub butter into dry ingredients. Mix liquid in very briefly.

Spoon in chunks over fruit.

Bake 190C 40 min.

davidt4, Jan 31, 11:19pm
? ? ? Do some of the carrot cakes contain rhubarb?

charli, Jan 31, 11:22pm
Was thinking the same... . . maybe you can substitiute carrot for rhubarb - be nice to know

245sam, Jan 31, 11:24pm
No, davidt4, not that I know of - I copied and posted that and was about to amend it when it became a posting! ! ! - sorry about any confusion that it may have caused. :-))

245sam, Jan 31, 11:30pm
You have a good point there charli - and if using rhubarb instead of carrot I imagine the result would be a very nice moist (maybe too moist? ? ? ) spicy not too sweet cake.
I agree... . . it would "be nice to know" if it would work - please let us know if you've tried this substitution and how well it worked. :-))

loopymiss, Jan 31, 11:48pm
mm they all sound very yummy! ! Thanks everyone. . I did google rhubarb and I got a nice sounding rhubarb and orange chutney I am also going to try out

patsprat, Feb 1, 8:14am
How lucky you are to have too much rhubarb -
I love it and i'm trying to get mine to grow but it's a fussy ol' thing,
maybe you could share some tips on how to grow great rhubarb?
Sure would like some help cos mine is not looking like it wants to be picked anytime soon. I got it from an elderly relative who has had it growing for years and it used to produce any amount of big fat red stalks. We divided the crowns and I planted several but it doesn't like me, it seems. Any suggestions welcome

davidt4, Feb 1, 8:59am
Rhubarb is a gross feeder, i. e. it needs heavy fertilization. Feed it and keep it watered and it will turn into a monster.

cgvl, Feb 1, 9:05am
thats interesting davidt about rhubarb being a gross feeder, mine is going mad at the moment, gave a heap away yesterday and cut 3 stalks for tonights tea and still have half a pot of it.
We don't do anything to it, no water, no feeding nothing and its growing in a weed pile, in fact taking over parts of the garden or should I say lawn as we don't have a vegie garden this year.

245sam, Feb 1, 9:05am
loopymiss wrote:
We have got too much rhubarb! ! I have been stewing it and putting it in the freezer.

loopymiss, just in case you don't already know - rhubarb does not need to be cooked before it's frozen - just prepare it (wash, trim, then cut it into pieces) as you would for cooking it whilst fresh, then place it in plastic bag(s) or container(s) and freeze it. When required just cook as much or as little as you need or take it directly from the freezer and stir it into the custard for the Rhubarb Custard Crumble - if the custard is really hot the heat of the custard will be sufficient to begin the thawing process, however if cooking the crumble immediately a little more cooking time may be needed to ensure that the previously frozen rhubarb is cooked properly but watch that the crumble topping does not brown too much if cooking for any extra time.

Just a thought - hope it helps. :-))

stevee6, Feb 1, 9:06am
Your weed pile is what is feeding it - rhubarb is also great if you plant it at the edge of a compost heap.

jubli, Feb 1, 9:07am
rhubarb and ginger jam and rhubarb and pineapple jam are a couple of the staples that me grandmother and mother used to make.
Also check out some of the old aunt daisy recipes as she has heaps for using rhubarb

Rhubarb usually takes a couple of years to get started and then there is no holding it back! Keep feeding with compost, or dried horse or cow manure and keep it fairly well watered - although it also copes with a bit of neglect at times.

snapit, Feb 1, 9:51am
This one came from recipezaar and was very popular when I made it as upsidedown muffins. Must make some more as I also have heaps of rhubarb
Rhubarb upside-down cake

Base:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 lb rhubarb (4 stalks)
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Cake:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch mace
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2/3 cup plain yoghurt

1. BASE: Pour butter over bottom of 8" square cake pan; sprinkle
with sugar.
2. Cut rhubarb into 2" pieces (if rhubarb is extra thick, slice
lengthwise to keep pieces uniform in size).
3. Arrange rhubarb closely together in 3 rows in bottom of pan.
4. Chop any remaining pieces coarsely and sprinkle on top.
5. Sprinkle with orange rind and set aside.
6. CAKE: In bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking
soda, salt and mace.
7. In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
8. Beat in egg and rind.
9. Mix in flour mixture alternately with yoghurt, making 3
additions of each.
10. Spoon batter over rhubarb, spreading right to edges of pan.
11. Using back of spoon, indent batter slightly at centre.
12. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and top
springs back when lightly pressed.
13. Remove from oven and let cool on rack for 15 minutes before
inverting onto serving tray.

Click here to print the recipe, see the reviews or save in your
online cookbook:
http://recipezaar.com/127603
<a href=http://recipezaar.com/127-
603>Link</a>
______________________________-

elliehen, Feb 1, 10:07am
Ross's Rhubarb Cake (from Swedish friend)

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams margarine (1/4 of a pottle)

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking SODA
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a large ring tin or 2 loaf tins (eat one now and freeze one for later! )

Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice

NOTE:
You can make half-quantity icing and don't use Spreadable or Lite cream cheese because the icing will run.
A delicate decoration - if you want one - can be a few super-thin curls of lemon zest

snapit, Feb 1, 10:12am
Alison Holst has a nice recipe for rhubarb conserve, I use that instead of marmalade for a change, Rhubarb and ginger muffins and a nice rhubarb cake dessert type and I make that in double batches and freeze for desserts later.

I have made the rhubarb dessert with strawberry sauce (on link posted below) just omitted the strawberry bit and used icecream
I have also done it by doing the same but instead of sponge on top used a crumble mixture
Also liked the country rhubarb cake here and there are rhubarb and ginger muffins there although not made those particular ones

http://www.rhubarbrecipes.co. uk/

I have also made rhubarb chutney and I think I have seen recipes for rhubarb sauce.

245sam, Feb 1, 10:25am
snapit's mention of rhubarb sauce reminded me of the recipe I forwarded on to a friend's Mum when she had a glut of rhubarb - it's a recipe I hadn't and haven't yet tried but I understand that friend's Mum was very pleased with the resulting sauce so here's that recipe... . .

RHUBARB SAUCE - from Digby Law’s “Pickle & Chutney Cookbook”
“Although the tangy rhubarb flavour is there, this is a surprisingly smooth sauce. Good with all meats. ”

1 Kg rhubarb
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp salt
2 onions
3 cups brown sugar
2½ cups malt vinegar
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ cinnamon stick
1 tsp each ofwhole allspice, ground maceandblack peppercorns

Wash and chop the rhubarb. Crush the garlic in the salt, and chop the onions.
In a large saucepan combine the rhubarb, garlic, salt, onions, sugar and vinegar. Tie the spices in muslin and add to the saucepan.
Bring to the boil and cook very slowly, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring regularly. Remove and discard the spices. Rub the sauce through a sieve, and return the puree to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, then pour into hot, clean bottles and seal.
Makes about 1 litre. :-))

margyr, Feb 1, 5:24pm
in the cafe i used to cook in, i used it instead of carrot, just chopped it fairly fine and added it raw to the mix. yummy. a tip Mum taught me to remove the too tart taste is to chop it then pour some boiling water over it, let it stand for about 30 seconds and then drain.

245sam, Feb 1, 9:40pm
The boiling water tip sure is a good one margyr - a now-late friend of my DH's family gave me exactly that same tip 30+ years ago except that she said to let the rhubarb stand, covered by the boiling water, for 5 minutes - it sure does work and I find it to be great especially when making... . .

SPICED RHUBARB
500g rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths)
1 tsp ground ginger,
2 tbsp very finely chopped preserved / crystallised ginger
sugar to taste and 2 tbsp water – see note below

Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish and cover the dish. Cook at 150°C for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note: If the rhubarb is prepared as in the above hint, the 2 tbsp water shouldn’t be needed and neither should the sugar because of the sugar coating on the ginger. :-))

seniorbones, Feb 1, 9:50pm
I dont even stew mine, I just cut up and put in freezer in bags or containers and use right through the winter - stew once its thawed with apple. hubby has it on his cereal with yoghurt in the mornings. YUM

pickles7, Feb 2, 3:09am
We are growing rhubarb just to give it away... I like the space it takes up in my flower garden , keeps the weeds down. So far we have got four crowns growing. . The surplus is put in a bucket at our letter box. . We used to freeze it but hardly ever used it. . You can cut the amount of sugar down by using a little salt. .

doug57, Jul 23, 12:41pm
That's how we freeze ours also. . much easier!