HELP - Why isn't my feijoa jam 'setting'?

ace441, Apr 29, 8:52am
I made it this morning and boiled it for 10 mins as the recipe said and jarred it. When it cooled down it was still like water so have got it boiling at the moment - it has been boiling for 25 mins and still won't 'wrinkle' when put onto a cold plate from the freezer. What have I done wrong!

ace441, Apr 29, 8:53am
x1
Also - it is now browny coloured - is this normal! It still tastes fine but don't look so pretty.

ace441, Apr 29, 9:29am
Okay - am now starting to get a skin - after 1 hour and 5 minutes of boiling! Why has it taken soooooo long!

elliehen, Apr 29, 9:35am
This one (below) takes not much more than ten minutes.I'm about to make Feijoa Jelly tomorrow and don't expect to boil it more than 20 mins tops.

http://fresh.co.nz/jams-pickles/feijoa-jam/

geldof, Apr 29, 9:38am
Feijoas over ripe!Did you add water!

elliehen, Apr 29, 10:49am
Hope it doesn't end up glue-y.Long boiling can have that result.

beaker59, Apr 30, 1:21am
I put an apple or two into mine never have to cook long and always sets even though I don't add much sugar.

cgvl, Apr 30, 1:59am
did you add lemon juice or pectin to it. Feijoa's too ripe or any fruit jam can cause it to not set as quick. I add a stick of rhubarb to nearly all my jams or jellies.
Not enough sugar can make it take longer too.

ace441, Apr 30, 11:24am
Well. 24 hours later and still blardy liquid ! All that time,,,,,wasted. *Suck it up* *deep breaths* If at first you don't succeed try, try again !

elliehen, Apr 30, 12:07pm
I'm guessing it's over-ripe fruit.Don't waste it!Add some pectin - you can buy it in a sachet at the supermarket, King's brand, I think.

korbo, Apr 30, 8:03pm
yes as elliehen says get a packet of jam setting mix follow the instructions and all should set. Had that happen twice last year with peach jam, and yes the peaches were very ripe. (learnt something there).
did you use kg fruit to say 750gm of sugar. that is what i use now.and seting mix. all jams good.
good luck, it is a pain washing the jars again, but shame to waste.

whitehead., May 1, 9:32am
x1
add some booze and call it topping to have on icecream rum goes well try some and see