How to cook crispy bacon?

Page 1 / 2
rusty-bones, Apr 20, 9:57pm
We have'nt had bacon for ages, we have just gone of it. But on tv when I see the yummy crispy bacon it looks so nice. How's the best way to make it yummy as crispy and what brand's are the best!

cgvl, Apr 20, 10:05pm
I cook it under the grill (have a seperate grill) and generally buy Rowntrees streaky bacon. Its not smoked and crisps up well. Have pan fried it and is fine also.
Some bacon is full of water and just will not crisp, the above and a couple of other brands of streaky work well.

moetus, Apr 20, 11:08pm
Hi, We like pestells bacon down here in nelson,Im sure you can buy it nationwide.maureen

gardie, Apr 20, 11:29pm
Check in the label to make sure there is no added water.It must be clearly stated if there is.And on a rack under the grill is great OR superheat a frying pan and once hot, lay the streaky bacon into it, turning once the first side done - it won't take too long to crisp up.You may need to reheat the pan once the first lot done before putting in the second helping.

lythande1, Apr 21, 12:25am
Grill it.

davidt4, Apr 21, 12:30am
You need to find dry-cured bacon if you want it crisp.We like Henderson's Free Range Dry Cured bacon, and I fry it in butter over a fairly high heat.

mothergoose_nz, Apr 21, 12:37am
amazing when you read the label and find out just how much pork is in a packet of bacon.look at the fish as well.not even 50% fish in fish pieces

aitchdub, Apr 21, 12:52am
Bacon makes everything better.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 1:13am
Chocolate-dip it to make it even better!

dibble35, Apr 21, 2:03am
I think beehive is a reasonably common brand that crisps up well especially there streaky bacon, those budget brands/cheaper brands are rubbish, as they said above. full of water. and if you're gonna fry rather thn grill dont overcrowd the pan

dibble35, Apr 21, 2:04am
If you like wierd choc dipped stuff try wasabi peas dipped in choc, yummo.

addington261, Apr 21, 2:18am
I don't understand how these places can get away with adding water to our meat. Damn expensive water!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 2:48am
Apparently in Japan you can get wasabi Kitkats.

elliehen, Apr 21, 2:50am
And in New York City, vegetables in chocolate - a US snack bar called "Organic Chocolate Dream Greens":

INGREDIENTS
Organic dried fruit blend - raisins, dates, bananas with organic rice flour
Organic raw cashews
Organic dark chocolate
Organic tapioca syrup
Organic freeze-dried vegetable blend: carrot juice, spinach leaf, broccoli sprouts, kale
Organic rice protein
Sunflower lecithin
Organic vanilla extract
Organic sunflower oil
Sea salt

It did taste mostly of vegetables and was very palatable ;)

punkinthefirst, Apr 21, 2:54am
Because much of our bacon these days is soaked in brine before smoking it (much faster cure), rather than burying it in a big tub of dry salt and aromatics, as it used to be done - which takes a lot longer and has to be much more carefully done so as not to have spoilage of the meat. The old-fashioned smoking methods produced drier bacon and ham as well.

rusty-bones, Apr 21, 3:24am
I think you are right about the water being the problem. Yum thanks guy's might like it agan soon. And when my chickens start laying even better.

karenz, Apr 21, 4:12am
I usually buy the more expensive streaky bacon but recently bought the Pam's brand and it was at least as good if not better.I fry it on a flat cast iron pan and turn over often.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:18am
I only use streaky bacon and just cook it long and slow. At first the water comes out and evaporates, then it begins to crisp up in its own fat. Shoulder and other cuts don't crisp like streaky = they go tough, especially if the rind is still on because they are so low in fat.

leesil, Apr 21, 4:29am
Don't buy it unless it's at least 85% pork. If it's not listed then don't buy it. Some brands are less than 50%!
My favourite is Walshes (found in the meat chiller, not usually with the other bacon. Beehive, Pams and some Hellers are good too.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:43am
That would apply only to bacon that is made from scraps and compressed into a bacon shape with glue. It is then sliced, packaged and sold in Foodstuffs stores as Crispy bacon. Don't know what they call it in the other stores. Always just buy bacon that is a particular cut such as streaky (pork belly), shoulder (self-explanatory) or middle, etc.

resolutionx, Apr 21, 5:50am
Nice did you watch the whole video of the litle asian dude who attemped to eat all that! LOL Only 1050 pieces of bacon!

Here is is if you haven't:

http://youtu.be/ugIDfvUpcwY

buzzy110, Apr 21, 6:10am
They could have given him a knife and fork!

fisher, Apr 21, 6:31am
now that's my kind of burger.spot on!1

dibble35, Apr 21, 9:36pm
Another weird thing we tried was a new range of rice crackers by Delish-wasabi flavour (very nice though hot) sandwiched between an Oreo cookie - strangely tasty, we tried it more than once so must have liked it though we got strange looks from my sister etc

rusty-bones, Apr 22, 2:25am
I'll have to look at this too. I went shopping yesterday so thought I would try the bacon agan. But they all said they contain water and never said how much water! So was confused all over again, and did'nt get any. I might try some brands you guy's sugest.