Making guava jelly - Help Please

rreid, Apr 19, 7:19am
Hi there, I am new to making anything that requires bottling. I boiled it the fruit last night and left it straining overnight. I have 3 ½ cups of juice to which I am planning on adding an equal amount of sugar and boil. Does that sound right so far! I am planning to use on jam jars to put the jelly in. What is the best way to sterilise these! Do I add the jelly to the jars while both are still warm or is it better to do it hot! Then what! Do I just put the lid on and that’s the end of it! Or do I need to do something afterwards like putting them in a pot of boiling water! Is that just preserves! Thanks in advance.

cappucino1, Apr 19, 8:00am
Sounds good so far.To steralise jars I always use boiling water and then put them in the oven to dry.If the jars are hot then fill them when the jelly is hot otherwise let it cool down sllightly.Putting cool liquid into hot jars or hot liquid into cool jars will cause the jars to crack.

Edited to add if you want the jars to seal make sure you put the lids on while the jars are still hot, this way when they cool down they will contract and cause the lids to seal.