'Signature' recipes

sclaredy_cat, Apr 9, 4:32am
So a group of girlfriends and I were talking last night about how everyone seems to have at least on recipe that they make over and over again. It's a recipe you have mastered, turns out perfect every time. You make it to wow guests who come for a meal, or when you are invited to a BBQ, you are expected to take it. Maybe you guard the recipe with your life, like my friend Sally's Rocky Road, maybe you share it. Maybe if has an interesting story behind it, or special family links.
I have a couple which I am happy to share but I was really keen to hear about everyone else's :)

shellz213, Apr 9, 4:42am
Yes I have a recipe for white chocolate brownie that I guard with my life.All my friends love it to bits and have pleaded and pleaded with me for the recipe (I think even bribery has come into it to no avail) so every time there are drinkees or get togethers I get asked to make it.I don't mean to be a meanie not giving out the recipe however I find that it's something special everyone looks forward to and I can be the only person to bring it along.The only problem I find is that I have to keep the recipe somewhere really safe because it if gets lost I'm in deep trouble!

zirconium, Apr 9, 5:02am
I've found that there is some indefinable magic ingredient that each person puts into their own signature dish that just makes it better than everyone else's version of the same thing though. :)

babytears, Apr 9, 5:11am
Yes, I have a special 'Smoked Chicken Pasta' dish, that I cook and everyone loves. my sisters have the recipe and they can make it as good as me, but only because I showed the way of the master - lol!

babytears, Apr 9, 5:12am
Oh. but one dish that I tried for the first time the other night, which I tweaked a little, is delicious. they won't get their hands on that one

falcon-hell, Apr 9, 5:33am
i also like to make stuff that no one else does,it makes you feel proud.

lodgelocum, Apr 9, 5:36am
I call my Lemon Meringue Pie as my signature dish, make it time and time again, tweak it a bit from the original recipe, but still claim it as my own haha

sclaredy_cat, Apr 9, 5:49am
I totally agree with wanting to have a secret or two. Not that Sally wasn't pressured unmercifully to give up her Rocky road recipe last night! Poor woman! But since I probably don't know anyone here, I will share one of mine. Banoffee Pie. Line a dish with sweet short pastry. Bake blind. In a pot, melt 75g butter with 1/2 c brown sugar, simmer 1 minute. Stir in 250g cream cheese (not lite!) and 1/2 c peanut butter. Stir until smooth and thick, then quickly beat in one egg. Remove from heat. Slice 3 bananas into pie shell, pour filling over. Goes in fridge for 2 hours or more. My hubby's favourite :)

maximus44, Apr 9, 7:15am
My Women's Weekly 2 egg pavlova recipe. No idea how many I have made over the years. It never fails.

raebee, Apr 9, 8:29am
We had friends over for dinner last night, and I apologised for yet again making a caramelised onion feta bread as the side dish - turns out they kind of expect and look forward to it now!I do change which recipe i use though.
but for main dishes for visitors i like to experiment with something new normally.my make over and over dishes are home favs like home made pizza, fish pie, mac cheese and other boring stuff like that, that i probably wouldn't serve to visitors!