7 different Banana Cake recipes

Page 1 / 2
jessie981, Mar 25, 1:28am
and I still use Edmonds.
Time for a clean up of my recipes. Anyone else got several of the same recipe!

kinna54, Mar 25, 2:11am
I do too.and in fact just got a call from my goddaughter asking me to look up the recipe for her as she wanted to make a banana cake like mine.
Ans I had a massive clean up a few days ago.Only so many you can keep!

harrislucinda, Mar 25, 3:28am
i haveadrawfillofsmallpiecesofrecipesandbookswillneverusein amillionyearsbutstillkeepthem

indy95, Mar 25, 11:52pm
Jessie981,I don't want to hijack your thread but your seven recipes for banana cake is mild compared with the NINETEEN chocolate cake recipes I counted when I had the most recent cleanout of my collection. I am ashamed to say I realised I actually had four or five copies of the same recipe for a "roasting pan " style mud cake and I'm not even a fan of that type of cake or chocolate cake in general. I think my passion for recipes may be getting a little out of hand.

daleaway, Mar 25, 11:54pm
I have five recipes for Seed Cake (family tradition, caraway seeds).
Still haven't found one that suits us 100%!

jessie981, Mar 26, 12:56am
Hee hee indy. All good. See a recipe 'that looks yum' & there it sits & waits.

jessie981, Mar 26, 12:57am
Only one I like is Edmonds

deus701, Mar 26, 1:32am
I keep different recipes of the same cakes eg Chiffon cake. Some recipes need 4 eggs, 6eggs or 9 eggs and its handy if Im running low on eggs. Some people also prefer the taste of a particular recipe compared with others.

elliehen, Mar 26, 1:42am
Have you got this one!

From ancient Aunt Daisy cookery book:

SEED CAKE
2 heaped cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound sugar
1 large teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound butter
3 eggs
4 teaspoons caraway seeds

Cream butter and sugar very well, add eggs one by one.Then add half of the flour mixture, then 6 tablespoons of cold water.Now add rest of flour mixture containing the seeds.Bake about an hour.

valentino, Mar 26, 2:46am
"Ripe" has a beautiful Banana Coconut Cake that they serve in their shop in Richmond Rd, Ponsonby. Have the recipe from their cookbook which is available from their shop, perhaps could be ordered online.

The cream cheese icing (also includes coconut) has the zest and juice of a lemon served with a lashing of passisn fruit pulp.

Can post this if wanted.

Editing to add link to actual cake pic but also leads to others on this website, may need to contact re book though.
http://www.ripedeli.co.nz/collections/frontpage/products/celebration-chocolate-kahlua-cake

Cheers.

keysie, Mar 26, 2:49am
Yes please, sounds delicious. Ta

indy95, Mar 26, 3:02am
Oooh, yes please valentino ! Just what I need, another scrumptious cake recipe to add to the collection.

valentino, Mar 26, 3:05am
"Ripe" Banana Coconut Cake.

Serves 8 - 10
1 1/2 cups ( 150g) desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups ( 300ml) Milk for soaking
185g unsalted butter softened (not melted)
1 1/2 cups (330g) castor sugar
3 Eggs
3 ripe bananas mashed
2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
3 cups (450g) self-raisingflour
Passion fruit pulp for serving.

Cream Cheese icing
100g unsalted butter
600 g sifted icing sugar
250 g cream cheese softened only
Juice and zest of a lemon
1 cup (70g) long thread cocounut for the topping - toasted a little.

Preheat oven 180c
grease and lined 26cm spring form round tin.
Place coconut and first measure of milk together in a bowl. Leave to soak.
In a mixing bowlcream butter and sugar together.
Add eggsone at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beating well between additions.
Once the eggs are combined, add the soaked milky cocnut and mashed bananas.
Mix together.
Add the second measure of milk and the flour alternating between each.
Mix well and pour into the lined tin.
Bake for approx 1 hour or until a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.

To prepare the icing;
In a cake mixer combine the butter and icing sugar until fine bread crumbs are formed. Add cream cheese, juice and zest.
Beat on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
Once the cake is cooled, ice with cream cheese icing, sprinkle with the toasted coconut and then drizzle with a spiral of passion fruit pulp for a final flourish.

Typed as 99% printed.

Editing to add that the book is under "Products and items" under the heading "Products"
Cheers.

Cheers.

indy95, Mar 26, 3:41am
Thank you for posting that so promptly, valentino. Is the soaked coconut supposed to be drained of any remaining milk before it is added to the mixture !

valentino, Mar 26, 3:49am
".milky soaked coconut" . it all goes in.

I simply just put it all in presumably was how I read it.

It came out just like the bought piece I tried.

Cheers

indy95, Mar 26, 4:08am
That's how I read it too but just wanted to be certain. Thank you again.

macwood2, Mar 26, 6:20pm
Oh Valentino that cake looks fabulous.You don't by any chance have their Chocolate Kahlua Cake do you!I would love that.I have just subscribed to their site.Thanks.

valentino, Mar 26, 8:12pm
Just did a thorough search through the book and it is not in the book, sorry but looks as though not everything is in their recipe book.

Keeping some to themselves by the look of it.

Cheers.

griffo4, Mar 26, 11:36pm
Thank you valentino l am drooling reading that recipe
and will make it when l get some bananas and cream cheese

valentino, Apr 9, 9:17pm
For macwood2. received this email after being requested. and "Ripe" obliged.

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

450g butter

450g brown sugar

1 cup golden syrup

6 eggs

1 ½ tsp vanilla

450g flour

1 cup cocoa

3 tsp baking powder

1 ½ cup milk

Cream butter, brown sugar and golden syrup.Add vanilla and then eggs one at a time.Sift together dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and then add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.

Bake in a 26cm tin at 170 C for 40 mins or until stick comes out clean.

Pour ¼ cup of Kahlua over the cake (or more depending on your taste preference)

Top with chocolate ganache.

Cheers.

macwood2, Apr 9, 10:08pm
Many thanks Valentino.Looks great.Am always on the look out for the perfect chocolate cake!And the perfect brownie for that matter!

rainrain1, Apr 9, 10:40pm
Now that's what I call tempting the tastebuds.Wonder how Bailys Irish Cream would go

valentino, Apr 13, 2:22am
Bumping for bridget107 post 13

destiny6nz, Apr 14, 10:51pm
that exactly what Ive been looking for. Got family coming over this afternoon for dinner. Got the roast pork and veges sorted. Just need a dessert for afterwards with our coffee.

smileeah, Apr 15, 5:23am
Haha I know what you mean.
I have two printed 'melt and mix' banana cake recipes here. I have tried one of them and didn't like it very much. The second recipe was only slightly different but I decided to try it anyway and it turned out to be as good as any Banana cake I've ever made. It's a keeper. Really surprised me, glad I didn't throw the recipe away like I nearly did.
I do try to write a comment on each recipe I have copied off the internet but I often forget. So when it comes time to look for "that recipe we all loved when I made it last year" I can never remember which one it was!