Tomato and onion

uli, Feb 5, 3:45am
bump for kirmag

lady_akkadian, Feb 27, 2:28am
HI there.Years ago when at my grandmas place she would have large preserving jars with what I think was tomato and onions. It tasted really good. Does anyone have a recipe for that please. I have bought the large preserving jars and ingredients etc.

THanks

whitehead., Feb 27, 2:38am
was it cooked or raw ! look for tomatoe relish or just bottled tomatoes with onions have you asked around your family

lady_akkadian, Feb 27, 2:53am
It was like a pulp. It was cooked. I have just been talking to someone on the phone and they said to blanch the tomatoes then put them in cold water and peel them. You can add what ever you like to them like onions, celery etc. I think you cook them all together then bottle them

pickles7, Feb 27, 5:04am

whitehead., Feb 27, 5:40am
to peel tomatoes take a sharp knife and remove the core and cut a small cross at the bottom of the tomatoe then tip your hot water over ,it will peel easy

lady_akkadian, Feb 27, 6:25am
Thank you very much. :)

mazzy1, Feb 27, 10:45pm
That's kind of what I make - a sort of Tomato Passata - just put chopped zucchini, onions and tomatoes in a saucepan with seasoning and perhaps oregano and chopped basil etc and then you can freeze it or put it into sterilised jars. It's a brilliant, speedy pasta sauce or on a pizza base or whatever, and a great way to get rid of all that excess produce at this time of the year.

dibble35, Feb 27, 11:09pm
That sounds good, was going to make tomato sauce to use up all my toms that i have been freezing but still have an excess of zuccini, so might try this. was going to make that zucchini lemon curd that was on here but when I went to buy lemons they were $6kg. refused to pay that much so stuck with zucchinis in fridge, saying that we are slowly getting thru them, i'm enjoying them fried up with butter potatoes and onion on toast, bit of bacon in it is great to

pickles7, Feb 28, 5:04am