Big meals

kemiaprint, Feb 16, 12:24am
What is a big meal that cost's little !
Trying to get some ideas for me and the kids ( on a very tight Budget )
Thanks

mattdylan, Feb 16, 1:01am
Use lentils for things like dahl, or just add lentils and beans to mince dishes to make them go twice as far, they are super filling too

darlingmole, Feb 16, 1:40am
I don't think you can go past seasonal vegetables . make it into soup, salad, fritters, stuffed potatoes, curries, casseroles, raw with some homemade hummus or dips!Can always bulk up with rice or pasta.
Also, some good advice: if the evening meal has to be spread thinly then think positively . seasonal fruit is again your friend!think ~ crumbles, stewed with custard, fresh and mixed up with ice-cream.

darlingmole, Feb 16, 1:43am
One more thing . eggs are cheap, full or protein and a complete meal in themselves (frittata, pie, quiche, boiled in salads, stuffed, omelette, poached).
Remember:the first bite of any meal is with the eye - just try to present your meals attractively (a wee dollop of sourcream, sprinkle of cheese, a side of homemade salsa, a drizzle of flavoured dressing/oil and it looks like you've gone to a tonne of effort . which I'm sure you have anyway!

darlingmole, Feb 16, 1:44am
not stalking you or anything (haha!) but see you're in the Waitak's! why not make a special once a week trip out to Hobsonville where the veges are really cheap, cheaper than Kumeu/Westgate etc . good luck too.I'd love to say "been there, done that" but I'm still there and doing it!

munrotti, Feb 16, 6:18am
Which fruit place on hobsonville rdis best/cheapest!