Ezi-yo yoghurt maker, how much boiling water?

dibble35, Feb 15, 1:20am
Hi, so long since i've used this, does the boiling water you pour into the white insulated bit go upto the top of the red insert so that when you put clear pot it in comes up the side and is actually sitting in hot water( hope so, this is what I just did) or does it sit below red insert so no hot water touches clear pot. Started Indian cooking classes and we are using plain yoghurt each week, so making my own yoghurt again from scratch - milk powder, culture. TIA

245sam, Feb 15, 1:25am
dibble35, you've got it right - the boiling water should be up to the top of the red insert.
Can I ask as a matter of interest what it costs you per 1 litre container of homemade yoghurt i.e. as you do "from scratch - milk powder, culture", etc. - just curious as we currently use the sachets (either EasiYo or Hansells) and I'm interested in cutting costs in anyway that is possible and feasible.TIA:-))

dibble35, Feb 15, 2:27am
Hi 245sam, bought skim milk powder from bin Inn, Cost me $1.75 to make 1L yoghurt. This is for plain unsweetened - 1 1/3cup skim milk powder,2 heaped Tblspn existing yoghurt as starter

Recipe I have for sweetened yoghurt is 1 1/3 Cups milk powder, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and either 2 Tblspn starter(eg hansells packet) or 2 heaped tblspn existing yoghurt. so would have to add in cost of sugar, vanilla if you wanted to make this one. Glad I did it right, Thanks

morticia, Feb 15, 2:34am
You'll make perfectly good yoghurt from only one cup of milk powder and one heaped tablespoon of starter yoghurt mixed very well with cold water from the fridge, which I find seems to make a nicer yoghurt.

Use very hot (or almost boiling) water to fill the bottom of the maker, then right to the very top of the maker once your jar is in and slap that lid on quick. I never open it for at least 8 hours.

245sam, Feb 15, 2:35am
Wow, a considerable saving dibble35 - thanks for sharing the info' and recipes.Hope you enjoy the Indian cooking classes.:-))

dibble35, Feb 15, 2:50am
whats it cost for the ready to use sachets Sam!Enjoyed the first class, made Rogan Josh, next week butter chicken with Chapatis yummy
Thanks Morticia, will try less powder etc next time, Didnt know cold water was better - I used tepid water for some reason, will try that next time to.

spotswood, Feb 15, 3:18am
Is the powdered easiyo mixture the starter yoghurt mentioned in the recipes!

morticia, Feb 15, 3:21am
I just buy an unsweetened kg container each week and we take it out of that. You can save some from your home made batch as well, but I don't find it so great after the 2nd or 3rd generation and like using fresh regularly.

dibble35, Feb 15, 4:44am
Yes can use that - the 2 Tablespoons,or use 2 heaped tablespoons of your yoghurt from the last made batch.

245sam, Feb 15, 4:50am
dibble35, I last bought some sachets towards the end of last year 'on special' for $2.89 and $2.99 but after having been away for most of the last 6-7 weeks, we did a grocery shop at the weekend and I think I saw EasiYo sachets, again 'on special', for $10.00 for 3 packets.

Re the amount of boiling water you should add to the EasiYo container - my instruction book says quite specifically "Pour boiling water to the line JUST at the top of the baffle (no further) and BEFORE putting the jar in."However, there is also a note which states "In extrememly hot climates use a little less (1cm) boiling water inside the Yoghurt Maker.In extremely cold climates, or when using chilled water from the fridge, top up with more boiling water around the sides of the yoghurt jar inside the Yoghurt Maker. ":-))

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 5:44am
I love my Easiyo!Thanks for the above tips.

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 5:46am
Look forward to you sharing some of your Indian Cookery recipes!TIA

dibble35, Feb 15, 6:53am
Thanks again sam. They are so involved (recipes), honestly so much work to make from scratch, i'm a lazy cook at the best of times, like to cook fast meals. will put up some of the simpler recipes later, ta