Outdoor pizza oven base

paddocks, Feb 8, 8:11pm
Morning all, does anubody out there have a pizza base recipe to put in an outdoorwood oven .I dont have a bread maker, so one by hand. Many thanks :)

purplegoanna, Feb 8, 8:16pm
YIP GOT A MEAN ONE ILL BUMP MY THREAD ITS CALLED SLOW FERMANTATION

after many hours of searching i found this delayed fermantation one, you dont have to be to worried about following the directions to the letter, just mix your dough into a nice ball then place in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 6-8hrs preferably overnight, then take out and leave in a warm place for 2 hrs before you use it, it makes the most devine thin crust pizza base just like ones you buy in proper restaurants. Peter Reinhart is a ace when it comes to all things bready.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

after many hours of searching i found this delayed fermantation one, you dont have to be to worried about following the directions to the letter, mine all gets done in one bowl including the kneading of the dough! just mix your dough into a nice ball then place in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 6-8hrs preferably overnight, then take out and leave in a warm place for 2 hrs before you use it, it makes the most devine thin crust pizza base just like ones you buy in proper restaurants. Peter Reinhart is a ace when it comes to all things bready.

paddocks, Feb 8, 9:34pm
thanks purple goanna, sounds awesome and one I will definetly try when I have more time, sounds yummy. :)

purplegoanna, Feb 8, 9:49pm
you can freeze this dough too.it makes 2 large size (baking tray size) pizzas or 4 smaller sized ones.

uli, Feb 9, 8:11am
Basic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe

It makes a noticeable difference in how this dough rises and bakes to a beautiful golden brown - so use lard and not one of the "modern" seed oils.

3 ½ cups wheat flour,
2 tablespoons yeast,
1 ¼ cups warm water,
1 tablespoon lard,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon honey.

Dissolve the yeast in a large cup with a half cup of warm water.
Add 2 tablespoons of flour and the honey.
Leave the mixture in the cup to rise for half an hour in a warm place covered with a kitchen towel.

Next, form a mound with the flour and place the yeast "mix" in the middle.
Add the lard and warm water, a little at a time, and work with your fingers.
Knead all the ingredients for about ten minutes into a soft dough ball.

Place the dough in a bowl and let it rise for an hour and a half or until double in size, in a warm place while covered with a kitchen towel or plastic film.

Divide the “risen” dough into 3 equal parts and place in a covered “Tupperware” or similar covered container until ready to use. With well floured hands, hand-toss (or in an emergency - roll out with a rolling pin).

This recipe yields three 30 to 35cm diameter thin crust pizzas.

This recipe can be done in a kitchen mixer with a dough hook.
After the yeast has activated (risen), add all the ingredients in the mixer and mix on the lowest speed for 10 to 12 min.

Hope you like it!

If you have the foresight to make your dough a few days in advance it will taste much nicer. You can keep it covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. It will produce a nice thin crust pizza - but won't be useful if you like one of those thick "bready" filling types.

uli, Feb 9, 8:11am
This is another one which works very well:

Italian Pizza Dough

It is easy to make, even by hand (no mixer), can be made several days ahead of time, and lasts for a whole week in the refrigerator.

1 teasp dry yeast,
3 ½ cups flour,
1 cup very fine semolina flour (#1 durum wheat) - if not available use high grade white flour,
1 ¾ cups warm water (25°C),
2 tablespoons lard,
1 tablespoon sea salt.

Heat water to 25°C, add yeast and wait 5 minutes to be sure it is activated (foamed).
Add the softened lard into the yeast water, and mix with a spoon.

In a kitchen mixer with a dough hook, (or by hand) mix the flours and salt for one minute, then slowly add liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and mix on lowest speed for 10 minutes, until a single dough ball forms.

Allow dough ball to rest for 20 to 30 minutes in the bowl covered by a damp kitchen towel.

Divide dough into four equal parts, and form into tight dough balls.

Place the dough balls in individual containers each with a lid.
Immediately place dough in the refrigerator and allow to slow proof for at least 12 hours.

Each dough ball yields a 35cm pizza.

Dough can then be used for up to a week for thin crust pizzas.

uli, Feb 9, 8:12am
Slow cold fermentation is more important than what is in the dough I reckon.
Try both recipes and let me know how you got on.

The most important thing with pizza is (apart from the dough) that you have your oven HOT! 350 to 400 degrees C.

My pizzas take between 3 and 5 minutes to cook. So I have a constant flow going.

Biggest amount were 15 in less than an hour. The last one (my regulars know by now) is the best one - as that is MINE! LOL - now they all want a slice of that too. Soon I will have to make 2 "last ones" . :)

bev00, Feb 8, 11:25am
thanks for the inspiration Uli

after many hours of searching i found this delayed fermantation one, you dont have to be to worried about following the directions to the letter, mine all gets done in one bowl including the kneading of the dough! just mix your dough into a nice ball then place in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 6-8hrs preferably overnight, then take out and leave in a warm place for 2 hrs before you use it, it makes the most devine thin crust pizza base just like ones you buy in proper restaurants. Peter Reinhart is a ace when it comes to all things bready.