Hi I want to make some ginger gems but don't have

lisb, Feb 6, 1:14am
gem irons, What can i use instead please!Don't want to go buying gems iron if the kids don't like the gems.Thanks

lisb, Feb 6, 2:35am
Bump ! Can I use a muffin tray!

moviebug, Feb 6, 2:52am
Hi there,when I recently made gems after not doing so for many years, the recipe I used made too much mixture for my old cast iron gem pan, so I put paper cases in medium sized muffin pans, and the result was absolutely fine.

lisb, Feb 6, 6:58am
Thanks, will give them a try after work tomorrow.My daughter 5 year old loves anything with ginger in it, so thought she maybe like these.

flower-child01, Feb 6, 10:15am
I use my bonco muffin tins, works just fine.

rasin11, Feb 7, 6:55am
I used to make ginger gems years ago but also don't have gem irons but ir they can be made satisfactorily in muffin tins does somebody have the recipe please as i have lost mine somewhere along the way. Many thanks

cookessentials, Feb 7, 8:19am
You can use a mini loaf tin ( 8 cup) however, you wont get the same as in a gem iron as yo need the heat produced by the gem iron to create the "sizzle" when you add the mixture. Try them in the muffin tin first and if the children like them, then progress to the iron.

whitehead., Feb 7, 8:24am
keep an eye out in op shops and you will find very good gem irons .they last for years

seniorbones, Feb 7, 9:09am
I have some that I bought in an op shop - really cheap too and came with the recipe for ginger gems!

seniorbones, Feb 7, 9:10am
If she loves ginger you might like to try Annabelle langbeins ginger slice, my grandson is such a fussy eater and didnt think he would like ginger and nearly ate the whole slice, its beautiful.

elliehen, Feb 7, 9:31am
Do you have the recipe, please seniorbones!