Sparkling rhubarb

susievb, Feb 3, 1:10am
I made this and it is yum and refreshing. You can taste a slight hind of alcohol but not much

875g rhubarb stalks chopped into 6mm pieces
875g sugar
1 lemon chopped
200ml while wine or cider vinegar
4 cups boiling water
14 cups cold water
In a food safe bucket mix the sugar and boiling water, stir until dissolved, add all the rest and place a clean tea towel over the bucket and let stand for 2 days -48 hours. Strain through a fine sieve, and pour into clean empty plastic fizzy drink bottles to within 7cm of the top (about 3-4 bottles), pop lid on well and let stand for 2 weeks in a shady spot. Makes approx 4.5 litres. Serve chilled.

Very carefully open the lid (I open 4-5 times a little bit to release the pressure so it does not froth up and spill everywhere. The recipe says most other fruit can be subed for rhubarb but the same amount of sugar as fruit has to be the same.

lindylambchops1, Feb 3, 1:21am
I am going to try this with apricots.have a glut here right now.Just need to get some lemons.Thanks for sharing.

tramore, Feb 3, 9:31pm
I made this and am now ready to sample it on Monday.Can't wait!So simple to make.Will try it with apples next time.Could you make it with oranges as the fruit!

threecheers, Feb 4, 12:56am
Do you think it would be OK to make this in my big soup pot! Or does it need to be plastic!

susievb, Feb 4, 4:19am
threecheers - yes fine, it's more most people would have access to a plastic bucket -me I got it at the warehouse for $1. Although some fruits like rhubarb are acidly so might react with aluminum!

threecheers, Feb 4, 5:13am
Thanks Susie.

thuntzster, Feb 4, 7:40am
So what do you do with the sparkling rhubarb after it's made!

pickles7, Feb 4, 8:10am
chill , and try to drink it.

onyka, Feb 6, 1:24am
Cool, what a good recipe very keen on giving this a go.

susievb, Feb 6, 3:44am
I was a bit slack and left it more the 48 hours, it didn't hurt it -probably helped the fermenting -he he.

whiskey13, Feb 6, 5:00am
Rhubarb Champagne
You'll need:
2lb rhubarb
1.5 lb white sugar
2 Tbls white vinegar
2 lemons, cut into chunks
8 pints water
Cut rhubarb up fine or put in kitchen whizz.
Put all ingredients into a new,clean plastic bucket ( or other safe container) and cover for 48 hours
Strain twice
Then bottle, cap with an airtight cap (recycled screw capped wine bottles are great)
Ready in 7-10 days
Chill well before opening
This recipe makes nearly 4 litres so make sure you have enough bottles on hand before making it
I made this on 12th Jan and i found it was too sweet so when i have enough rhubarb again (that's abit hard when mrwhiskey13's favourite pudding is apple and rhubarb crumble lol) i will reduce the sugar a wee bit, have made it plenty of time for it to be a real favourite

whiskey13, Feb 6, 5:04am
Drink straight or half and half with lemonade, soda water, or sparkling water.

whiskey13, Feb 6, 5:04am
Drink straight or half and half with lemonade, soda water.

Rhubarb Refresher:
9 stalks of fresh rhubarb, roughly chopped, 2 cups of water, 1 cup sugar.
boil rhubarb and water til stalks are tender. strain through a fine sieve then return the pink juice back to the pot and add sugar (if you want more of a bite add less sugar) stir until sugar is dissolved then pour the syrup into a bottle and refrigerate until ready to use. dilute to taste with sparkling soda water.

tehenga288, Feb 6, 7:59am
grated fresh ginger added at the boiling stage adds a a lovely variation

tramore, Feb 10, 5:32am
It was simply delicious and we will definitely be saving lemonade bottles for more of this!

bev00, Feb 9, 10:19am
bumping for rhubarb lovers

pickles7, Feb 20, 9:14pm
must be time to chill