Made my first loaf of white bread ever today by

clgodkin, Feb 1, 5:11am
hand as I don't have a machine. Turned out pretty good for a first effort, tasted fine and even the kids are eating it BUT.the crust is very chewy. What did I do wrong or can I improve on to obtain a softer crust!

roundtop, Feb 1, 5:28am
When it is baked throw a damp teatowel over it,it makes the crust soft.

clgodkin, Feb 1, 5:35am
Great thank you so much. Have got the bug now and will make another loaf tomorrow and do that.

beaker59, Feb 1, 5:59am
Yes I do the damp teatowel thing too. I also because I like a crispy crust and the wife likes it soft drop the towel over half the loaf and leave the other end exposed then cut the loaf in half one for her and one for me :)

lythande1, Feb 1, 6:26am
Don't need machines.and chewy - well you won't get floppy shop bread, well, not without all the additives and stuff, and then why bother.
Real bread is nicer, which one did you do! No-knead or knead and faster!
It doesn't keep as long, but mmmm, when fresh.

clgodkin, Feb 1, 6:47am
I just found a real basic recipe on here, chuck it all in together and knead then rise, knead again and then it says to shape, let it rise again and pop in the oven but I used a tin so let it rise in the tin. Actually, I confess that most of the loaf has gone because between my daughter and I, we have eaten it (the freshness and novelty I think).

My daughter is a big bread eater and we live rurally so with a loaf of store bought bread going within two days, I thought I would try making my own. Very pleased with the results so tomorrow I'll make two loaves and pop one in the freezer.