Lemon Curd

bridget107, Jan 31, 10:43pm
If anyone is look to make lemon curd, I've found this microwave recipe so easy! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/easy-lemon-curd/

nauru, Jan 31, 10:51pm
I always make my Lemon Curd in the microwave as it's way easier than the double boiler method and easy clean up.Will try your recipe next time too, thanks for sharing.

bridget107, Jan 31, 10:56pm
So true, 8 minutes and you're done!

retired, Jan 31, 11:58pm
Always use the microwave.Granddaughter made tis for gifts during the holidays.Can also use oranges, lime, grapefruit.

elliehen, Feb 1, 2:14am
Have just made some the slow way (always make it with free-range eggs) and to the last jar I added 3 teaspoons of Tasti brand passionfruit syrup.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 1, 2:20am
And peaches and apricots and plums - just pulp the fruit and add instead of the citrus. Yum.

Cherry is particularly luscious.

bridget107, Feb 1, 2:35am
Oh, wow. I've never tried anything but the lemon curd. Will definitely try out the others! Mmmm, adding passionfruit sounds delightful.

lurtz, Feb 1, 3:51am
Sounds delicious.

lurtz, Feb 1, 3:53am
Wow! I love lemon curd, so definitely will be giving these a try.

davidt4, Feb 1, 4:04am
Apricot Curd

675 g fresh apricots or 1 lb (450 g) dried 

Juice of 2 lemons 

4 free-range eggs
2 yolks of free range eggs

450 g sugar 

120 g unsalted butter

1. Wash fresh apricots in hot water. Soak dried apricots for 24 hours in water.

2. Cook the apricots in a pan with just enough water to prevent them burning. When soft, push through a strainer into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pressing down on the fruit with a wooden spoon. Throw away the skins left in the strainer. 

3.In a small heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter over very low heat.Meanwhile beat the eggs and sugar together until well combined but not foamy, add lemon juice and mix.Pour into pan and stir well, raise heat to medium and stir constantly until the foam dissipates and it thickens. This will take about 5 minutes.Remove from heat and continue to stir for a minute, pour into containers.Cover when cold and keep in the fridge.

Note that there is absolutely no need to cook lemon curd or any other kind in a double boiler.The acid and sugar prevent it from curdling before it thickens.

nfh1, Feb 1, 6:50am
I always make it in the microwave, but do not add butter - it does not keep very long, but I only make a tiny amount each time.

lindylambchops1, Feb 1, 7:08am
LOL I love your recipes!

lindylambchops1, Feb 1, 7:11am
Wow must give this a go.Never realized you could make curd with anything other than Citrus fruits!Thanks for sharing!

lurtz, Feb 1, 7:44am
I have re read the original post in this thread on the Recipe Forum, and respectfullysuggest that the eight minutes in a microwave on high,with the listed ingredients of this recipe,just doesn't make sense.

For many years I havemade Lemon Curd in the microwave. Thank you Glennys Raffillsand your book - Microwave the New Zealand1997.

Even in my old and trusty National, the Lemon Curd didn't take eight minutes on High. And even in my relatively new (five years) and witless Pansonic, it still only needs two to four minutes.Eight minutes with the ingredients listed in the recipe posted today, would end up as in thick glue.

I am happy to post the Glennys Rafills recipe if folk would like it.All the best:-)

bridget107, Feb 1, 7:51am
It makes perfect sense when you whisk it every two minutes. Trust me, I've made this recipe plenty of times and it definitely does not end up like glue! I wouldn't have posted the recipe if it did obviously.

lurtz, Feb 1, 8:35am
Thank you Bridget. My apologies if I offended you. That was not my intention.To me, eight minutes on high in a microwave is excessive for lemon curd.Lemon curd is suchdelicate combination of eggs and lemon and sugar - especially when microwaved.I whisk everythirty seconds or so, however we all have different methods and microwaves.
All the best,

kob, Feb 1, 6:45pm
lurtz i think she means 8 minutes all up not 8 minutes cooking time

retired, Feb 2, 5:15am
I keep mine in the freezer.It does not go hard and never goes mouldy.

miffycat1, Feb 2, 7:54am
Would really like you to post recipe please.

retired, Feb 2, 7:38pm
I make the Chelsea Microwave one.
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups Chelsea White Sugar
100g butter, cut into little pieces
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons

Place the eggs and Chelsea sugar in a large microwave proof bowl or jug. Whisk with a wire whisk, until well combined. Add the butter, lemon juice and rind. Microwave on high for 8- 10 minutes, stirring every minute, until the mixture is smooth, thick and creamy.
Cool for 5 minutes then pour into warm clean jars. Seal when cold and store in the fridge.
Perfect on toast, ice cream or serve with lemon cakes or in tarts.

daleaway, Feb 2, 10:22pm
I have been making curds in my microwaves for 25 years, in a Corning ware casserole.
With modern microwaves, which are higher-powered than the ones we had in the 1980s,I find the safest way is to microwave ON DEFROST for6-8 minutes (depending on quantity of curd), stopping once for a stir.
It does not thicken much in the microwave, but when you refrigerate it, with such a high fat content it thickens in the fridge.

As for method, I whisk together the yolks, sugar and lemon, then dot with chopped butter.

whiskey13, Feb 7, 11:45am
Will have to bump this thread for the morning as my eyes are getting heavy.