Last yrs Walnuts - any good recipes?

courtney2004, Jan 12, 11:18am
Got last years Walnuts like 40kg! with ease. Any recipes like for pickles or .! I can break them open with ease into nice halves. Going to freeze a few but honestly we have a full crop growing on the tree and a 10L bucket Full of this yrs being pickled so any ideas would be great as to what to do with last years which are still great.

cookessentials, Jan 12, 6:13pm
Armenian nutmeg and walnut cake
Baklava

courtney2004, Jan 12, 7:33pm
interesting never heard any of those before. keep the ideas coming we use lots of cold meats hince me thinking pickles as well

cookessentials, Jan 12, 10:53pm
Walnut praline.

Easy to make and will store in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.

100g lightly toasted walnuts
110g sugar

Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan forced). Place walnuts on a tray. Bake for 6-8 minutes, making sure the nuts don't burn. Remove and wrap in a tea towel. Rub the nuts with the tea towel allowing the skin to come off.

Lightly grease a baking sheet with spray oil; set aside.

Heat sugar in small saucepan over medium heat until dissolved.

Allow to boil, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until caramel in colour. It is important to watch the sugar mixture carefully at this stage as the caramel can burn very easily.

Add nuts to caramel; stir well to combine. Pour nut mixture onto prepared baking sheet; cool.

Blend cold nut mixture until coarsely ground, or wrap praline in baking paper and a tea towel and smash with a rolling pin. Stir through softened ice-cream or chocolate mousse mixture - before it sets - for a special treat. Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks

cookessentials, Jan 12, 11:01pm
Baklava

500g walnuts, lightly roasted
2 teaspoons cinnamon
75g caster sugar
1 packet filo pastry (20-24 sheets)
200g butter, melted
220g sugar
125ml honey
125ml water
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon rose water

Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.

To make filling, lightly process walnuts, cinnamon and sugar; set aside.
Lightly butter a 20cm x 30cm lamington tin. Line tin with one third of the pastry sheets, laying one sheet on top of another, brushing melted butter between each sheet and folding them up around the edges. Spread half of the nut mix over the filo and cover with another third of the filo sheets, brushing with butter as you go.

Top with remaining walnut mix and repeat layering with remaining filo and butter. Butter the top sheet well.

Using a sharp knife trim edges of the pastry level with the top of the tin. Then score the pastry into parallel lines about 3.5cm apart and then again diagonally to form lozenges, sprinkle lightly with water. Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 120C (100C fan-forced) and bake for further 25 minutes or until crisp and golden.

Meanwhile, make syrup by heating the sugar, honey, water and lemon zest until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly; remove from heat. Add lemon juice and rose water and pour over baklava while still hot. Stand several hours or overnight. Serve by cutting along scored lines and carefully removing from tin. it is pretty rich, but very moreish too!

cookessentials, Jan 13, 8:33am
Walnut Pesto.

In a food processor, combine 1/2 acup of walnuts, 1 large clove garlic and a handful of fresh flatleaf parsley.With the motor still running, drizzle ina 1/4 cup of walnut oil and 1/4 cup good olive oil.Finally add 2 Tbsp cream or creme fraiche.

iman007, Jan 13, 8:35am
i put mine in at the end when i make chicken liver and walnut pate, num num

fifie, Jan 13, 8:58am
Honey Walnuts.
250 gr (8oz) Walnut halves
3/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce
castor sugar.
Combine honey, lemon juice,soy sauce, add walnuts mix well. Allow to stand for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
Drain walnuts well, toss in the castor sugar to coat.
Put walnuts in enough hot oil to just cover and cook till golden, dosen't take long, don't overcrowd do a few at a time.
Remove walnuts from pan and drain well, cool and eat as nibbles

infinityjrc, Jan 13, 9:00am
Send some to me.you are so lucky

courtney2004, Jan 13, 10:18am
Lovely I will enjoy making these over the next couple of days we have 6teenages coming to stay for 2 nights! YAY for us! I know none have a dislike or an inability to eat walnuts so we will have these! Tonight I did crushed walnuts on top of Afgans that was yum especially with lots of walnuts!

cookessentials, Jan 13, 6:58pm
Mmmm, those honey walnuts sound delicious

gilligee, Jan 13, 8:37pm
Sell them on Trademe.

lx4000, Jan 13, 8:40pm
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves
2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!
Enjoy :)

lx4000, Jan 13, 8:41pm
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

susieq9, Jan 16, 1:41am
Easy way to shell them instead of hammer. Put the point end of a vege knife into the end that hangs on the tree and twist it. Comes in half then take the walnut out. No more mess. You can also freeze the shelled walnuts, they keep much better in the freezer and you don't need to thaw them, use straight away for whatever you want.

bev00, Jan 15, 7:40am
Walnut time again

m.pat, Jan 15, 9:19am
any body got a recipe for wallnut ketchip i have lots of green windfall wallnuts and dont know what to do with them

taurus2005, Jan 17, 3:07am
Yum, wish I could buy them off you.

pickles7, Jan 17, 3:47am
To pickle walnuts, you need to be able to put a needle right through them.

valentino, Jan 17, 5:11am
Hmmm, another year but try soaking them in a bottle of Whiskey and resealed for a few months. LOL, lovely.