Ice Cream Makers/Frozen Dessert Maker

nails6, Jan 7, 3:50am
Does anyone own one of these and are they worth buying, or is it better to just make your ice cream the old fashion way!

Which brand is better!I can't see myself making it every week however want to make my own icecream/sorbet so I know what is going into it!Your feedback would be appreciated as I am thinking of heading out to buy one.

very_hotpants, Jan 7, 5:59am
bump Im interested as well - comercialice cream has got so stuff in it and has got so expensive. With my daughter gluten free it would be great to make some GF varieties.

nails6, Jan 7, 6:09am
I just went out and bought a Sunbeam as didn't fancy paying a couple of hundred for another brand,though I did have a look at a few comments on the net before going.Will let you know 'very_hotpants' how I get on, as I have to freeze the basin for 22-24 hours.My daughter is G.F too hence the reason why I want to now make my own.The majority of Tiptop tubs are G.F but have beef fat in, Kohu & Kapiti are just toooo expensive now.I am hoping to make coconut & lime icecream to start, will prob throw some chocolate in.My daughter reacts to milk prods too even the lacto free milk so am hoping when I make it myself it will alleviate some of the immune issues/responses she experiences.

flower-child01, Jan 7, 11:31pm
I have my cute wee Frosty and love it to bits, It is fun playing around with differing recipes and knowing this ice cream is far healthier. Tomorrow night we will be making a choc fudge swirl ice cream. A recipe i will share on http://www.Brama-sole.co.nz once tried. Plus I have other recipes on the site too, as well as sauces to put over.

nails6, Jan 9, 10:01am
Very_hotpants, I have just finished making this yummy icecream in my new icecream maker and it turned out wonderfully, here is the recipe:http://lukesdday.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/chocolate-coconut-ice-cream-dairy-free/.I added Kahlua to it and chopped up some dark chocolate & through it in.Not ideal for the children but a wonderful mix for us adults if you like a real chocolatelybut not sweet ice cream.Flower-child01, I am going to try your berry icecream next.Well worth buying one, especially when they are discounted, I paid around $54 at Briscoes.

flower-child01, Jan 9, 8:19pm
I bought mine for $30 off here. And have never regreted it. Nails - Kahlua, now that would be devine. I am drooling now.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 8:29pm
I have a Krups ice-cream maker and I must say, making your own ice-cream is not only very enjoyable, it tastes great too. You can experiemtn with all sorts of flavours to suit your own palate and you inow exactly what goes into it.

frances1266, Jan 9, 8:33pm
Thanks nails,will def try that one.Do you have any other dairy free ice cream recipes!

wizardoo, Jan 9, 10:04pm
we bought ours(off the top of my head can not remember what brand) but it has its own compressor yes it was a bit more expensive but with in 15min we have ice-cream and we don't have to freeze the bowl etc . we always forgot to put the bowl back into the freezer Lol,We had the old sort and found the dearer one better

nails6, Jan 10, 5:42am
It looks like I can't spell, I am going to blame it on not being well.
frances1266 here are some recipes that I haven't tried yet, however found them on the net:http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/07/vanilla-coconut-milk-ice-cream-dairy-free-goodness http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co.nz/2009/06/maple-roasted-banana-ice-cream

frances1266, Jan 10, 6:37am
Tks Nails

falcon-hell, Jan 10, 6:51am
i bought a breville ice cream maker that fits onto my cake mixer,i tried the icecream the other day-a recipe in their book-and it was bloody awful,the taste was really yucky and the mixture didn't churn,so i was quite peeved about it,i have made homemade icecream in the past and its been great,so i might try that recipe in my icecream bowl and hopefully get better results.

drsr, Jan 10, 7:05am
I have the Sunbeam Snowy, it's a bit plasticky but works OK. The best things I've made so far are some excellent berry sorbet and some pretty good pistachio gelato. It's also pretty good for frozen yoghurt because you don't have all the hassle of making the custard or syrup, just mix yoghurt, milk and sugar, then churn.

As with a lot of kitchen gadgets you get that initial burst of enthusiasm where you use it a lot, and then it languishes a bit. You have to freeze the bowl ahead of time so it takes some planning to use it. You can only make about a litre at a time (with this machine) and the family gobbles that up pretty quickly.

chrissyb1, Jan 10, 7:24am
I work in a kitchen gadget shop & we sell alot of Cuisinart Icecream Makers. Have not heard any complaints about them other than the ice cream is tooo blaoody nice!