Rhubarb!

gildon, Jan 5, 9:57pm
We have a surplus of rhubarb in our garden .I am wondering if it would be better to freeze it uncooked, or would it be better to cook it first, then freeze.Grateful for your opinions.

imrae1, Jan 5, 10:04pm
I always cook it first and divide into amounts I will use. Then add other fruit to it such as fresh strawberries, Cooked apple, plums etc. Makes a nice change in the winter months

lavender32, Jan 5, 10:37pm
i've frozen it raw before, sliced & free flow on a tray then bag it when frozen.

245sam, Jan 5, 10:50pm
I almost always freeze rhubarb raw and then there is the choice at the time of using it as to how it's used including the following recipe which can be made with either fresh raw rhubarb or direct from the freezer raw rhubarb.

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen.
Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients & once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick & stodgy. Place the rhubarb & custard mixture into a 1.5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes. :-))

gildon, Jan 5, 10:55pm
Thank you all. That recipe sounds great 245sam.A change from plain rhubarb and apple crumble which I usually make.Will give it a try.

245sam, Jan 5, 11:00pm
You're very welcome gildon.Hope you enjoy the crumble and maybe the spiced rhubarb too which I posted after your last posting.:-))

pickles7, Jan 5, 11:04pm
Freeze it cooked, raw takes up too much space.
I put a 1/2tsp of salt in at the time of cooking, it reduces the amount of sugar needed to sweeten it.

cgvl, Jan 5, 11:27pm
cooked with a sweet apple or two and you don't need any sugar. great if you are diabetic.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 11:31pm
We did have a couple of brilliant rhubarb threads with some great recipes.

seniorbones, Jan 6, 10:31am
I was taught (by and old aunt) cut the rhubarb up the night before, sprinkle with sugar and it draws the water out and becomes syrup then cook as is so no need to add water. I cut mine up in about 1 inch peices and just put in a bag and freeze, no sugar salt or cooked.

cimmeron, Jan 6, 10:45am
yep thats how Ive done it also.

shop-a-holic, Jan 6, 10:52am
A fabulous way to use the syrup is to make a sorbet and add a few measures of your favourite single-malt.Same happens to strawberries and sugar left overnight on the bench. Something different to make, with the fruit in season.
Yum!

kaylfrazer, Jan 6, 7:16pm
Rhubarb Champagne http://saucysisters.blogspot.com/2009/02/rhubarb-champage.html. this stuff is fantastic.everyone I give this to loves it!