Favourite holiday/bach meals - for 8 - tips!

nickyd, Dec 28, 7:37pm
2 families- 8 of us (4 now mid teens -all eat like adults) heading away together to 2 different baches in Nelson/Marlbrough.
What are your favourite easy meals for this kind of situation!
The first place we go is a bit out of the way in the Sounds , so we'll need to take 5 days food in with us. The second has slightly easier access to supermarkets. We don't have a boat or tailer, so its only what we can fit in 2 cars
Of course we will BBQ quite often, but wondered if others have favourite easy meals they either prepare in advance and freeze etc or are easy to do.
Don't want to rely on catching fish, cos I think we would be hungry!Thanks

cookessentials, Dec 28, 7:40pm
I make beef sat'e often for the bbq. I dice all the meat and add it, along with the spices and other ingredients into a lrage zip-lock bag so that it can be mixed really well. I then store in fridge overnight for all the flavours to amalgamate. Soak your bamboo skeweres overnight in water as it helps stop them burning on the grill. Next evening, all you have to do is thread the meat onto the skewers, make a peanut sauce ( or buy the "Ayam" brand nin a small tinwhich is lovely) make a salad and you're done.

cookessentials, Dec 28, 7:54pm
You can make your own sate sauce which I often do, however, for your situation and ease of preparation, the Ayam is wonderful. I also do a chicken sour cream sate which is lovely. Below is the beef sate recipe.

500g rump steak (or chicken, lamb or pork)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
extra oil
SATE SAUCE:
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
2.5cm piece green ginger, peeled and grated
125g peanuts, skinned, roasted, and very finely chopped
125mlvinegar
75g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons peanut butter
80ml fruit chutney
250mlwater

You want a piece of meat approximately 2.5cm thick. Remove fat from meat. Cut meat into 2.5cm strips. Cut each strip of meat into 5mm pieces. Cut fat strips into 5mmslices. (Fat is put on to the bamboo sate sticks; it helps baste the meat and will keep it moist while cooking.) Place meat and fat into bowl, add soy sauce, honey, chilli powder, cumin, oil and curry powder; mix well. Cover bowl, refrigerate overnight. Thread two pieces of meat on to skewer, thread a piece of fat on to skewer, then another two pieces of meat. Repeat with remaining skewers until all meat and fat are used. Grill until tender, brushing occasionally with oil. Serve with sauce.

SATE SAUCE: Heat oil in pan, gently saute onion and garlic until golden brown. Add spices, ginger and peanuts, saute for 2 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, peanut butter, chutney and water, stir until combined. Bring to boil: reduce heat, simmer very slowly for 30 minutes or until mixture is thick. Serve hot or cold.
The quantities given in this recipe are enough for about 30 sate sticks

magenta, Dec 28, 8:00pm
I usually make a large mince and/or bacon and egg pie and freeze it. It usually thaws on the journey and we eat it the first night heated up or even cold if necessary.You can make spag bol type stuff and freeze in a container and if in a chili bin it will not thaw for a day or so. You can then serve as normal.I usually make chili con carne and freeze instead of spag bol as it can be made a bit more interesting!

tandi_4, Dec 29, 12:32am
home made hamburgers is always a good one

leebee35, Dec 29, 9:02am
Well the BBQ will be no use eh. with this rain we are having in Okiwi Bay.
I made home made Pizza's last nite. with leftover Xmas Ham.Kids loved it. Used Tin Spagetti. and spiced up the adults with Onions & Spicy sauce.

Tonight we had spag bog.mmm spagetti two nights in a row.!Used a good of Jar of Summer Tom Basil -Five Brothers.
Anyway I'm making butter chicken 2morrow.with rice and pappadums. the kids will love it.
Anyway I always bring.Mince, mince, mince. you can make spag bog, meatballs. hamburgers, lasagne. meatloaf, strifry.There is a fab product. called DEB, Continental - Instant mash potatoes. You can then have bangers & mash, mince with mash, fish cakes with tin tuna.etc.
I yeah I'm also making chicken & pumkin Risotto.
Enjoy.

nickyd, Dec 30, 7:38am
Thanks some great ideas - I do do quite a few of these things, but always good to have some new ideas.The Ayam sauce was on special at Countdown this week, so got a couple.