How much Gelatine!

accroul, Dec 25, 10:08pm
Would I need to set 500ml of milk so it sets like a firm(ish) jelly please!
I'm using granules rather than leaf btw.

kassie48, Dec 25, 11:27pm
Never heard of it. Do you add flavouring/

uli, Dec 25, 11:28pm
at least a teaspoon full.

You could simply use rennet though :)

kay141, Dec 25, 11:30pm
Gelatine will make a jelly. Rennet will make junket or cheese, both with whey separated from the solids.

accroul, Dec 26, 12:30am
Aeroplane Jellys (Ozzy brand) do Wobbly which looks like jelly & tastes like a milkshake. I reckon I could do the same thing with milk, milkshake syrup & gelatine.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 2:50am
3 tsp of powdered gelatine wil set two cups of iquid.

accroul, Dec 26, 3:59am
Thankyou!

cookessentials, Dec 26, 5:33am
You are welcome.let us know how it turns out.

cookessentials, Dec 26, 11:55pm
Here is a nice recipe for a real strawberry jelly which is delicious.

3x 250g punnets of strawbs
180g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tsp powdered gelatine
300ml thickened cream,lightly whipped
Halve 500g of the strawberries. Place the sugar and 375ml of water in a large pan over a high heat,stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil,then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 5 mins until slightl reduced. Add lemon juice and halved berries to the pan and reduce heat to med-low and simmer,stirring occasionally, for 10 mins until berries are soft. Transfer berry mxture to a fune sieve set over a bowl and stand for 40 mins. or until most of the liquid has strained from the fruit.(dont push down on the berries,,otherwise, your jelly will be cloudy) Discard the solids. Return the berry syrup to the pan over med heat 2-3 mins until hot but not boiling.Transfer 125ml hot syrup to a large bowl, sprinkle over gelatine and let it stand 2 mins. Whisk to completely dissolve the gelatine,then stir in remaining syrup.Transfer to a jug and chill for 20-30 mins,stirrinng regularly until jelly is thick but not set. Pour jelly into four 150ml serving glasses and return to the fridge for a further 10-15 mins until starting to firm up. Meanwhile, slice the remaining strawberries. Press most of the strawberry slices into the jelly-being careful not to disturb the jelly too much. Return to the fridge for six hours to set. Jellies can be kept in fridge for up to two days. Just before serving, spoon a dollop of whipped cream onto each and top with remaining berries and serve.

market1, Dec 27, 12:42am
The container I used said one desertspoon per 300ml, so I had 600ml, I added the gelo, stirred and mixed it gently in(after mixing it w hot water), then nek minit the gelo had set the mixture but had also sunk to the bottom and formed a 5ml base separate from the mixture.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 12:59am
You usually sprinkle the gealtine over the hot water and let it sit a little while to dissolve, before stirring it in and then adding the remainder of the mixture. It seems an awful lot of gelatine for the amount of liquid.

kay141, Dec 27, 1:10am
Would a recipe for Panne Cotta help! I know that is usually cream but perhaps it would work the same with milk.

accroul, Dec 27, 1:40am
my aunt used to make jelly like that. I used to call it 'jandal' jelly!