Gelatine substitute???

donna23, May 11, 3:15am
Have abeautiful cheesecake recipe that I want to make for a dinner party, one guest is a vegetarian and my recipe has gelatine in it, is there anything I can use as a substitute or just omit it completely??, thanks

ry5, May 11, 3:23am
pectin maybe?It's called jam setting mix, derived from fruit.You get it in the sugar aisle at the supermarket.It might work.

lilyfield, May 11, 3:26am
agar agar is the substitute for vegaetariens

donna23, May 11, 3:37am
thanks for the info, do you know if the agar agar a pharmacy or supermarket product?

deus701, May 11, 3:38am
u can get it at asian shops

or just make separate dessert for the vegetarian. eg strawberries dipped in choc. Also, the vegetarian may not want to eat dessert anyway...why punish the rest of the guests?

lilyfield, May 11, 3:41am
there is no punishment by using agar agar. Its available in super markets.

buzzy110, May 11, 3:45am
This is an excellent suggestion. Agar agar is a different product to gelatine and requires a different process. From memory it needs to be heated and it sets during the heating process. I could be confusing it with something else but if my memory is correct then this means that the cheesecake may not come out as well as you would expect.

donna23, May 12, 3:15am
Have abeautiful cheesecake recipe that I want to make for a dinner party, one guest is a vegetarian and my recipe has gelatine in it, is there anything I can use as a substitute or just omit it completely!, thanks

ry5, May 12, 3:23am
pectin maybe!It's called jam setting mix, derived from fruit.You get it in the sugar aisle at the supermarket.It might work.

donna23, May 12, 3:37am
thanks for the info, do you know if the agar agar a pharmacy or supermarket product!

deus701, May 12, 3:38am
u can get it at asian shops

or just make separate dessert for the vegetarian. eg strawberries dipped in choc. Also, the vegetarian may not want to eat dessert anyway.why punish the rest of the guests!