Ginger Gems

Page 7 / 8
juliewn, Sep 4, 3:10am
Sounds delicious Indy. I hadn't seen the thread till last night - saved the entire thread! Ginger fan here too.

Thanks Pam and others for sharing your recipes. :-)

juliewn, Sep 4, 11:41am
Hi Marilyn. an easy way to measure the golden syrup - put the bowl/jug (you'll melt it and the butter in your microwave), on your scales. bring the pointer back to zero, and add g/s till you reach the 160gms. add the butter and melt and continue with the recipe.

indy95, Sep 5, 1:21am
Thank goodness this has been bumped.I can't believe I forgot about a thread of recipes using ginger. This cake recipe is from Annabelle White and Kathy Paterson's Simply the Best :

Ginger Pear Streusel Cake

Cake

3 1/4 c flour
1 c sugar
2 heaped t baking powder
1/4 t salt
250 g butter melted and cooled slightly
1 1/2 t vanilla
4 eggs
1/4 c milk
170g crystallised ginger finely chopped
5 pears peeled quartered and thinly sliced

Streusel

3/4 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
5 t ground ginger
100g softened butter

Combine streusel ingredients until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Grease and lightly flour a 28 cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix melted butter, vanilla, eggs and milk well together in another bowl. Add ginger and 3 pears to the dry mix, coating well. Don't worry if the pears slicesbreak up. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently just long enough to combine.

Pour cake mixture into the tin and sprinkle half the streusel over. Cover with the remaining pear slices and scatter with rest of streusel.

Bake at 180C for about 1 hour.

juliewn, Sep 5, 3:10am
Sounds delicious Indy. I hadn't seen the thread till last night - saved the entire thread! Ginger fan here too.

Thanks Pam and others for sharing your recipes. :-)

bev00, Sep 7, 10:00am
mmmmmm ginger

kinna54, Sep 7, 11:21am
Hi cookessentials, thanks for starting this awesome thread, and posting these great recipes. I just noticed your ginger gem recipe at the top, is cooked at 180deg. This sounds like it would be a great recipe for those who don't have cast iron pans, as you wouldn't have to heat the pans quite as hot. The recipe I use (my mum's old recipe for ginger gems cooked in the cast iron gem irons) says to pour the mix intopreheated gem irons at 210deg C and cook for 12mins.
I am looking forward to making your recipe to compare. Thanks again for supplying great recipes.

kinna54, Sep 8, 11:21am
Hi cookessentials, thanks for starting this awesome thread, and posting these great recipes. I just noticed your ginger gem recipe at the top, is cooked at 180deg. This sounds like it would be a great recipe for those who don't have cast iron pans, as you wouldn't have to heat the pans quite as hot. The recipe I use (my mum's old recipe for ginger gems cooked in the cast iron gem irons) says to pour the mix intopreheated gem irons at 210deg C and cook for 12mins.
I am looking forward to making your recipe to compare. Thanks again for supplying great recipes.

bev00, Jan 30, 10:58am
oz of soft brown sugar
2 oz of butter, softened
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg
1 cup of plain white flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
milk to mix (approximately ½ a cup)
1 oz of extra butter to grease

Quotewheelz (157 )11:31 am, Sun 29 Jan #2
Ginger /Honey Gems

50gr butter 

1/4 cup sugar 

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger 

1 egg 

2 tablespoons honey

1 cup plain flour 

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup milk 

extra butter

Preheat gem irons in oven ,
Cream butter, sugar,and ginger, add egg beat in honey.
Sift flour into creamed mixture.
Dissolve soda into milk, stir into creamed mixture.
Put 1/2 teaspoon pieces of butter into hot gem irons spoon mixture into sizzling butter.
Bake at 200c for 10 minutes.

Simialr to above I guess you can omit the ginger , this uses baking soda not baking powder .Made my first gems yesterday using this recipe and they were very edible

Quotedolma (51 )2:02 pm,

pickles7, Feb 10, 9:16am
bumping for .cookessentials.

cookessentials, Feb 11, 9:24pm
Honey & Fresh Ginger Loaf:

Have yet to try this one, but I am loving the sound of the fresh ginger. It is courtesy of Taste.com.au

3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled
115g (1/4 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons) golden syrup
115g (1/4 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons) strong-flavoured honey
50g (3 tablespoons) softened butter
2 small eggs
3 tablespoons warmed milk
3/4 level teaspoon baking soda
140g (1 cup + 3 tablespoons) flour
3/4 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 level teaspoon all spice
2 extra tablespoons honey for the glaze

Preheat the oven to 170C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.

Grate the ginger on to a double thickness of muslin cloth. Holding the muslin over a bowl, wind it around the ginger like a spring to squeeze out as much juice as you can. Discard the ginger pulp but reserve the juice.

Place the golden syrup, honey and softened butter in a mixing bowl and, using a beater attachment, beat together on medium speed until the mixture is light in colour, about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs and ginger juice. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Warm the milk in a cup in the microwave and stir in the baking soda.

Add to the batter and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Remove the mixture from the mixer.Sieve the dry ingredients together then, using a spatula, fold into the batter.

Mix well to combine the dry ingredients, ensuring there are no lumps of flour left. The mixture will be unusually runny.

Pour into the loaf tin and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top of the loaf springs back when touched. Remove from oven.

While still hot, immediately brush the loaf with a honey glaze made from melting 2 tablespoons of honey. Allow to cool then remove the loaf from the tin. Remove the paper, slice and serve with a thin spreading of butter and a drizzle of honey

cookessentials, Mar 6, 9:52pm
Bumping up for ginger recipes

cookiebarrel, Mar 31, 4:54am
Mmmm.thanks from me too.I made gingernuts the other day.yum and now can try something different.

holmsies, Mar 31, 6:48am
Mmmmm. I love ginger.
Can I make ginger gems without having gem irons!

chrisynz, Mar 31, 7:15am
i have four sets of gem irons.two of these were my grandmothers. andthey r cast iron.i love ginger and currently have 4 jars of crystallized ginger in 80% whiskey,,

familychch, Apr 1, 5:44am
Pam, is the ginger gem recipe in #1, enough mixture for just one 'tin' (i can't think what you call them) or more! thanks.

cookessentials, Apr 1, 5:09pm
Ginger Parkin - a recipe from Yorkshire ( where my Mum is from) I really like this, it's nice and gingery.

225g self raising flour
110g caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
200mlmilk
55g butter
110g golden syrup

Preheat the oven to 150C. Line a 22cm/8in tin.
Sieve the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
In a small pan gently heat the butter and syrup until melted.
Beat the egg into the milk.
Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and stir. The mixture will be thick.
Pour in the egg and milk and stir until smooth and pour into the lined tin.
Bake for 1 hour

serendipitous6, Apr 2, 1:13am
i really want some gem irons any ideas where to find some!

serendipitous6, Apr 2, 1:51am
thanks for that where have you seen them!

korbo, Apr 10, 10:27am
mmmm. i am sooooo hungry after reading all these. will print out when at big computer. on laptop in bed.mmmmm
what is 160 g of golden syrup as in the lst recipe. how do you measure.

jaxma, Apr 15, 7:44pm
Does anyone have a really nice ginger kiss recipe!I've made them before and they turned out flat like gingernuts :-(My son is addicted to ginger kisses and I'd like to make some like the ones you buy at the supermarket!

fifie, Apr 16, 2:18am
My ginger kiss recipe with a mock cream filling, not quite so spongy in texture as the bought ones, itmakes a large tinful my grandees love them. Very old recipe sorry about the old measurements.
8oz butter,8oz sugar,2 teaspoons cinnamon,2 teaspoons Mixed Spice OR 2 teaspoons Ginger 2 tablespoons golden syrup,4 eggs,11b flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, OR 11b Self raising flour.
Cream butter and sugar till white and fluffy.Add syrup and eggs beating well after each one till thick and creamy. If mixture starts to curdleadd a tablespoon of the flour with each egg.Fold in sifted dry ingredients till all mixed in. Using a DesertSpoon put onto greased tray bake 400F 10-12 minutes watch they don't overcook. Remove from tray place on a cooling rack. When cold join together with mock cream, OR fill with raspberry jam and dust icing sugar over the top. (Oven temperature for today is 200C )

calista, Apr 19, 10:16am
cookessentials you are a temptress - shame on you.

I'm not sure I have the willpower to resist these recipes.Ginger is one of my favourite tastes.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 7:40am
Did you get to make it calista!

jaxma, Apr 23, 7:25pm
Thanks elliehen and fifie - I'll try and make some today!

cookessentials, Apr 23, 8:43pm
Hi skippie - here it is-copy and pasted from post 206 on the "Cakes Thread"

Armenian Walnut & Nutmeg Cake 1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar;2 cups plain flour;2 tsp baking powder;125g firm butter,chopped into pieces;2 cups of new season walnuts roughly chopped ( I threw the into the food processor and pulsed till roughly chopped) 1 cup milk;1 tsp b soda;1 lge or 2 small eggs ( I used two eggs) 1 generous tsp freshly ground nutmeg( I used about 1 and a bit heaped tsp) Pre-heat oven to 175c. Lightly butter and flour 23cm round tin ( I used a springform tin) cont.

cont. Put brown sugar,flour baking powder and butter into processor and whizz till it resembles fine crumbs. Take 2 cups of mixture and press firmly into bottom of prepared tin,sprinkle the walnuts evenly over the top. Add the nutmeg to the remaining crumbed mixture still in processor.Beat the milk,eggs and soda together and slowly add to processor with motor running to make a smooth batter.Pour batter over crumbled mix in tin.Bake 45 mins until cake is springy.Cool 10 mins before turning out. Dust with icing sugar when cold.