Tips for pastry/ bottom of pie

rivercottage1, Nov 4, 5:48pm
hi, i was hoping someone out there would know the best way around the soggy.uncooked bottom of a b/egg pie.
i cook mine in a pie dish usually with a heated tray underneath for extra heat,sometimes this works/helps but i cant rely on this.
do you think blind baking is the way to go, i have puff/flaky blend of pastry, i guess id need to prick it all over 1st. does using a egg wash over the pastry help prior to blind baking help seal the base.

hope someone can help with their own tried and true method. thanks for your thoughts,

pickles7, Nov 4, 6:39pm
You need a good solid heat, clean outsides of yourpie dish, there is, buy the sounds of things a pie dish with holes in the bottom, available in kitchenware outlets.
A reduction of fat, in the pastry could be a problem as well.

rainrain1, Nov 4, 6:39pm
prick it

rainrain1, Nov 4, 7:43pm
a bright idea. try sprinkling the bottom of your dish with flour before you put the first layer of pastry down

paix1, Nov 5, 12:08am
I use short savoury pastry on the bottom - flaky on top. On bottom, put grated cheese on before adding bacon & egg mix,. Works well!

darlingmole, Nov 5, 1:04am
another tip is sprinkling instant mash potato flakes . but I always use the hot biscuit tray under my pie/quiche dish and it never fails me

nauru, Nov 5, 9:32am
I always spray and flour my pie dish/plate before lining with pastry and never have soggy bases.

hanmer, Nov 5, 9:37am
breadcrumbs is also good.i use to use it for my apple pies.great!

jhan, Nov 5, 9:15pm
Classic bake, an option on some ovens, sends the heat from below. Otherwise devise a way of getting the heat to the bottom of the pie dish.

baitcatcher, Nov 7, 8:13am
Hi Rivercottage, Make sure filling is Cold( hot bacon will steam the pastry)
I start my pie (12 whole eggs,500g bacon,200g sauted onion,100g diced tomato ,s&p) in a 220 oven for 20 minutes to get good colour on the pastry all over,then 190 for 30 minutes No wet/raw pastry.

wayne472, Nov 7, 9:54am
Put some grated cheese on the top of your bottom layer of pastry that stops the sogynes and adds to the flavour.
Believe me it works wonders!

whiskey13, Nov 7, 11:26am
I always cook my bacon and let it sit on paper towels to go cold then flour my pie dish ( i don't spray) put the first sheet of pastry down then grated cheese on bottom then your bacon and eggs, pop ya top sheet of pastry on and prick the top with a fork twice and pop in oven.Have NEVER had soggy bottom on my pies

rivercottage1, Nov 7, 6:40pm
thanks for all the great advice, i will try the flour tip next time around

tarshlove, Nov 7, 6:47pm
I made one last night. Was yummy I've only ever had one soggy pie after that I used the cheese trick Never had one since. Good luck :o)

calpol, Nov 8, 12:53am
Coat the pastry bottom with egg yolk and sprinkle a thin layer of semolina over, shake of excess semolina.Works every time with short or puff.