Calling homemade pizza base experts!

mattdylan, Nov 2, 10:45pm
I use a basic pizza dough recipe, yeast, sugar, water, oil and flour - and I even use a pizza stone but my base is always burnt on the outside and still soggy/doughy in the middle - WHY! I even roll the base out thin :(

purplegoanna, Nov 2, 11:07pm
just bumped the gourmet pizza base recipe for you, my humble advise would be to change your recipe and make sure you oven is hot before you put it in.also r u sure its not one of your toppings making it gluggy!

mattdylan, Nov 2, 11:43pm
thanks - well the toppings are usually something like tom paste, chicken, mushrooms , tomato and cheese the cheese always seems to dissapear too as I have to cook it a while to get the middle cooked thru

davidt4, Nov 3, 12:04am
It sounds as if your topping is too wet or too heavy.Try using just a thin smear of a full-flavoured tomato sauce.What kind of cheese are you using!If you use good quality fresh mozzarella it shouldn't disappear.

uli, Nov 3, 12:44am
Your oven and pizza stone need to be at least 240 degrees C for a quick pizza.
Anything less is going to take too long and produce a soggy result.

duddles, Nov 3, 12:47am
I had the same problem, now I pre cook the base for ten minutes then remove it and sauce and top it. Then put back in. No more soggy bases

craig04, Nov 3, 12:51am
Are you heating up your stone as well as preheating the oven!

mattdylan, Nov 3, 3:07am
OK i think I know where I am going wrong, I have been baking at 180 degrees C! and not heating up stone as much as I could I guess

uli, Nov 3, 4:02am
Yep stone needs to be at 240 minimum. I bake my pizzas in my outdoor oven and it has 350 degrees when I start. So in an indoor electric or gas oven you need to preheat for at least an hour to get that stone burning hot. Better luck next time!

uli, Nov 3, 5:14am
mattdylan- did you have more success with a hotter oven!

medicina, Nov 3, 9:30am
Hope so, he's had a year to perfect it!

uli, Nov 3, 10:07pm
Yeah - so I wondered if he did LOL :)