12 egg yolks

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Aug 21, 11:51am
creme brulee

This is the one I use. You can do fruits on the side if you wish. I have a cream brulee set which comes with the ramekins,deep dish and a frame which pops on to the dish and holds each ramekin in place. I use a cooks blow torch to caramelise the top.

600ml cream
vanilla pod, split, scraped
6 egg yolks
55g caster sugar
caster sugar, for brulee topping

Preheat oven to 160;Cor 140C- fan-forced. Put kettle on to boil.

Combine cream and vanilla pod in a medium saucepan. Bring just to a boil, before removing from the heat.

Meanwhile, beat yolks and sugar together in large bowl until well combined. Pour warm milk over yolk mixture, stirring continuously.

Strain mixture into a medium jug; remove any bubbles from the surface using a slotted spoon. Pour into four 3/4 cup ramekins. Place in deep baking dish. Gently transfer to preheated oven, before pouring boiling water into the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake 20-25 minutes or until desserts are lightly set with a distinct wobble in the centre. Remove from baking dish and refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or until very cold.

To brulee the desserts: evenly sprinkle each dessert with approximately 2 teaspoons caster sugar. Light blow torch, and gently caramelise sugar to create a hard caramel layer. Take care not to burn the sugar. Alternatively, place cold water and ice in the baking dish and preheat the grill to its hottest setting. Sprinkle desserts with sugar; grill, 5-10 minutes or until sugar is evenly caramelised. Watch carefully to ensure the sugar does not burn. It is somewhat easier to use a blowtorch.
Let the desserts stand a little while before serving so you dont burn your lips on the hot topping.

Quotecookessentials (1202

I use a good recipe of Alison Holst's and have made is several times. http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/563687/Holsts-re
cipe-for-creme-brulee

valentino, Aug 21, 10:36pm
A great tip re "Egg Yolks" especially if breeding Cats or Dogs and even birds.

Simply cook them and ensure they are cooked dry.

One can freeze them to use anytime upon adequate time for thawing naturally.

Once cooked and dry, mash them like a powder type and add to young pet foods as a builder-upper, just gives that much needed protein and that kick-start once these pets starts eating on their own.

But only give a tsp portion at a time to say kittens, a desert spoon for puppies, a tsp for the birds in with their soft food.

Also if a problem exists with the mother pet, an egg yolk mixed with say about 100 mils of milk is a very good substitute for that mother's milk given so much at a time, (one will know).

Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers.

timturtle, Aug 21, 11:58pm
Lemon Curd

sweetpea01, Nov 11, 8:28pm
left after making 4 pavlova's!Any ideas on how to utilise them.would be greatly appreciated.

pickles7, Nov 11, 8:32pm
egg yolk custardwill take care of six, providing you can use the custard.
This is very much like the custard you buy in cartons, remains soft.

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

sweetpea01, Nov 11, 8:40pm
Thank you!Will try this.

jaybee2003, Nov 11, 8:50pm
Gold Cake - using leftover egg yolks. A light cake, golden coloured.
3/4 cup sugar, 75g butter, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup milk, 1 1/2 cups SR flour
Lemon essence.
Cream butter and sugar. Add well beaten egg yolks, then milk and essence, lastly adding flour. Bake in moderate oven for 35 min.

sweetpea01, Nov 11, 8:53pm
Yum - cheers!

craftylady1, Nov 11, 8:55pm
Duchesse Potatos

Make mashed spuds and add some egg yolk.make them into twirly shapes and bake.yum yum

sweetpea01, Nov 11, 9:06pm
Mmmm the boys in my house would love that!

elliehen, Nov 11, 9:34pm

buzzy110, Nov 12, 12:34am
Homemade mayonnaise
Hollandaise sauce
Add extra yolks to your b/f eggs - scrambled, fried, poached.

willyow, Nov 16, 5:50pm
Make a simple custard-based vanilla bean ice cream - you'll never want to eat any other type of icecream ever again - great for Xmas too.
130g sugar
30gglucose
200 ml cream
650 mlblue top milk
5 egg yokes.

Beat the egg yokesinto the sugar.
Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds and add the seeds and the shell to the egg yokes, sugar, glucose, cream and milkand stir constantly over a mediumheat until you have a custard. Remove from heat andallow to cook-cover with plasticand leave in the fridge overnight. This is called 'aging' and is the key to good icecream making.

Put through a sieveto removed any lumps and vanilla bean shell bits, and put through your ice cream machine ( or place in the freezer and beat every hour).

Hide it from teenagers.

The glucose is thesecret toits success. Itsoftens the icecream at freezing pointand stops it coming out of the freezer like concrete. Glucose isavailablein supermarkets under the Healtheries brand.

You can also add a pinch of salt to the custardwhile making itto improve flavour- optional as a lot of people want to keep theirsalt intake down.

willyow, Nov 17, 2:55am
The recipe above gives you a cream coloured ( very pale yellow) ice cream with vanilla bean speckle - yummy

malcovy, Nov 17, 2:58am
Glucose used to be the secret ingredient in icecream at a restaurant I worked in, it really was delicious.

nzl99, Nov 17, 6:32am
MMmmm Hollindaise. 500gms super hot butter (into nuker for about 3 mins) while that's heating get your stick blender out and wizz up 8 yolks, a pinch of mustard powder or teaspoon of mustard, s&p, juice of two lemons and a pinch of cayene. add butter a tablespoon or two at a time with the whizz stick going the whole time. thick, creamy, perfect hollindaise every time.

kuaka, Nov 17, 8:53am
Does that ice cream recipe use ordinary powdery glucose or liquid glucose!

willyow, Nov 17, 5:36pm
kuaka - we use the powder (Heatheries brand at the supermarket )- - I suppose3-4 of teaspoons of the liquid form would work - not sure.I
f you are making a pav - it's a great way to use the lefteover yokes - and a scoop ofvanilla bean ice cream with a pav issensational!

willyow, Dec 1, 6:42pm
Healtheries are now ceasing their Glucose product due to low demand - if your supermarket doesn't have any your health foods shop probably will

dollmakernz, Dec 2, 1:50am
Egg Yolk Sponge
Beat together 3-4 egg yolks and ½c sugar. Add ¼c boiling water and beat again.
sift and add 3oz flour, 1oz cornflour, 1tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Bake 180º in a loose bottom tin

ro42, Dec 2, 1:52am
zabaglione.yum!

davidt4, Dec 2, 2:08am
Sabayon with Kirsch or Cognac

75 ml Kirsch, Cognac or other aromatic spirit
50 ml water
3 egg yolks
60g caster sugar

Mix spirit and water in bowl that will fit over saucepan.Whisk in yolks, then sugar.Whisk over hot water as the water heats up, for 8 - 10 minutes until it reaches 55C and is very fluffy.Turn off heat and continue to whisk until the sabayon has a very thick, rich and shiny texture.Serve immediately.

kiwigoldie, Dec 2, 2:22am
this is an excellent site.i have just made the sponge cake.yum!

boxsters3, Dec 7, 6:51am
Key Lime Pie

Todays Dominion Post paper has a recipe from Alison & Simon Holstfor Key Lime Pie.I thought it could be worth trying when I have egg yolks to use if I am asked to do deserts/pav.
The recipe uses 3 egg yolks (and three limes & a tin of sweetened condensed etc)

lavender32, Dec 7, 9:09pm
Make pastry & put in freezer.