Black Forest Trifle Please

Page 1 / 2
scout_6001, Oct 16, 10:32pm
Does anyone have a nice recipe for a black forest trifle!

uli, Oct 16, 10:49pm
It is a trifle far to the Black Forest - but if you want an imitation of the Black Forest Torte then use morello cherries, lots of cream (as butter cream won't go so well in a trifle), soak the sponge in cherry brandy - the clear stuff - and layer some chocolate in between the layers, a ganache would be nice.

cookessentials, Oct 16, 11:07pm
Yes, I do one usually using a chocolate mousse ( you can use the Tararua one if you wish) I buy a chocolate sponge roll ( cream filled) and slice into rounds. Best to use a deep plain glass dish as it looks really lovely showing through ( I often use a earge flared and footed hurricane lamp)
arrange the slices across the base and up the sides of the bowl. Sprinkle with kirsch or a little brandy or similar. You can then add a jar of the cherries.or better still, I often use the frozen boysenberries.they thaw within a few hours. When you add the fruit, make sure you poke some into the gaps between the sponge up the sides. Make up chocolate mousse and spread over fruit and sponge,making sure it is poked down the sides also. Chill to set and then add gently whipped cream over the top and top with grated chocolate. it is actually really nice the next day, so you could make it the day beofe you need it.

cookessentials, Oct 16, 11:08pm
It was a trifle that was required uli, not a torte

pkv, Oct 16, 11:24pm
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-feasts/chocolate-cherry-trifle-recipe/index.html

Nigella's recipe is suppose to be good. I havent tried it myself tho.

elliehen, Oct 17, 2:16am
This is the 'Black Forest Trifle' that I have made and it is delicious and enjoyed by many.I used boysenberries because of their rich dark colour.

cookessentials, Oct 17, 4:31am
I must say i prefer the boysenberries to the cherries. You could also use a mixture of boysenberries and raspberries if you like. I like the tartness of them with the sweet of the chocolate mousse.

griffo4, Oct 17, 7:33am
Cooks is there a recipe for the choc mousse on a Tararua packet or can you buy it!
l am keen to make this for Christmas and l want to sort out recipes now before the rush starts, thanks

cookessentials, Oct 17, 8:04am
griffo. It comes in a large tub. All you do is follow the instructions ( basically whip it for a period of time) You will find it near the yoghurts or buttermilk in the section at the supermarket.

griffo4, Oct 17, 11:56pm
Thanks for that cooks l had a look at our local countdown as l got buttermilk but couldn't find it so will look when we go to the city
l will know what to look for now

kiwitrish, Oct 18, 1:41am
What a great easy recipe.Thanks for that cooksessentials.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 1:49am
You are both very welcome. griffo, it comes in a giant yoghurt type container. This is what it looks like

http://www.tararua.net.nz/products/Chocolate-Mousse!i=5&p=1

jfd, Oct 18, 2:02am
I make one with an alcoholic chocolate sauce and then a berry sauce for the laternating layers with creme de cassis and just creme anglais in between.

The berries is just a can of boysenberries and cassis with a talblesppon to custard powder to thicken and the choclate is a good chocolate liquer (not a creme one) and dark chocolate.

jcdm, Oct 21, 8:53am
i do mine with boysenberries, home made choc moousse (jamie olivers recipe) chocolate sponge, cream and baileys irish cream.yummmm

griffo4, Oct 21, 8:20pm
Thanks for that cooks l asked at New World in the city and got a pottle of it so will make it up for a pot luck dinner
Do you have a recipe to make it from scratch l have started to make everything from scratch and enjoy the process
Thanks

elliehen, Oct 21, 11:54pm
griffo4, this the Nigella one mentioned above:

Ingredients

2 (approximately 12 ounces each) chocolate pound cakes
1/2 cup black cherry jam
1/2 cup cherry brandy
2 cups drained bottled sour cherries (recommended: Morello)

Custard:

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, minimum 70 percent cocoa solids, chopped
1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon milk
1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup cocoa

Topping:

3 cups heavy cream
1-ounce bittersweet chocolate
Special Equipment: Large wide trifle bowl

Directions

Slice the chocolate pound cake and make jam sandwiches with the cherry jam, and layer the bottom of a large wide trifle bowl. Pour over the cherry brandy so that the cake soaks it up, and then top with the drained cherries. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to macerate while you make the custard.

Melt the chocolate on low to medium heat in the microwave, checking after 2 minutes, though it will probably need 4 minutes. Or you can place it in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted, ser aside while you get on with the custard.

In a saucepan warm the milk and cream. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl. Pour the warm milk and cream into the bowl whisking it into the yolks and sugar mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate, scraping the sides well with a rubber spatula to get all of it in, and pour the custard back into the rinsed saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until the custard thickens, stirring all the time. Make sure it doesn't boil, as it will split and curdle. Keep a sink full of cold water so that if you get scared you can plunge the bottom of the custard pan into the cold water and

whisk like mad, which will avert possible crisis.

The custard will get darker as it cooks and the flecks of chocolate will melt once the custard has thickened. And you do need this thick, so don't panic so much that you stop cooking while it is still runny. Admittedly, it continues to thicken as it cools and also when it's chilling in the refrigerator. Once it is ready, pour into a bowl to cool and cover the top of the custard with cling wrap to prevent a skin from forming.

When the custard is cold, pour and spread it over the chocolate cake layer in the trifle bowl, and leave in the refrigerator to set, covered in plastic wrap overnight.

When you are ready to decorate, softly whip the cream for the topping and spread it gently over the layer of custard. Grate the chocolate over the top.

gaspodetwd, Oct 22, 5:34am
Sponge soaked in boysenberries or cherries and syrup. Then a dark jelly poured over to set. Then chocolate mousse - I would just whip the Tararua one and let that set. Then fresh cream. And chocolate and fruit on top.

I have never had trifle without the jelly component!That is what makes it trifle. It needs to soak into the sponge to work. A trifle should always hold its shape so the set is super-important.

griffo4, Oct 22, 7:54am
Thank you elliehen l will try that at Christmas time

southerngurl, Oct 22, 7:58am
and Nigella makes it look so easy and delish

elliehen, Oct 23, 3:46am
.with a TV crew and cast of thousands behind the scenes ;)

One tip for a trifle with any sort of custard top is to press plastic wrap gently onto the surface when you put it in the fridge to chill it (before putting on the whipped cream).It stops the custard forming a hard skin.

griffo4, Oct 27, 8:22pm
l made cooks recipe yesterday and it was a hit with a pot luck dinner last night and it all went in a flash
Thanks cooks

spunkeymonkey, Dec 14, 9:08am
mmm yum

elliehen, Dec 14, 9:27am
Cherries in Kirsch- Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cherries
1/4 cup kirsch (cherry flavoured brandy)
Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir to combine (ensure all sugar is moistened).Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Reduce heat, add the cherries and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the cherries are slightly softened (don’t cook too long, you want the cherries to hold their shape).
Add kirsch and stir to combine.Set aside to cool.

Source: Martha Stewart

elliehen, Dec 14, 11:57am

cookessentials, Dec 14, 5:29pm
Glad you liked it.