Salt or not!

connor2003, Oct 22, 12:45am
When I was pregnant with my eldest about 30 yrs ago I was told to lay off the salt, which I did.I don't put salt in my baking at all and others have noticed it.My thyroid is ok - so why do we need salt if it's in everything else that we eat.

shop-a-holic, Oct 22, 1:17am
Salt will enhance the flavours of the other ingredients.

antoniab, Oct 22, 2:28am
My Mum never puts salt in any cooking - Im with shopaholic though - its enhances the flavours of food.

buzzy110, Oct 22, 6:12am
It certainly isn't in everything I eat. In fact, apart from my homemade bread, it cannot be found added to anything in my kitchen except butter and cheese. I add salt not only because it enhances the flavour of food but because it is an important component of our diet. Our bodies are made up of mostly salt water and we need to replenish that salt constantly because it is leached out by urination and perspiration. A good demonstration of what happens to our bodies when we do not get enough salt was when the NZ walker collapsed in a heap, just minutes away from the finish line. If he'd drunk his electrolytes (salt) during the race then he'd have won by a huge margin.

Farmers either have to ensure their soils have all the trace minerals by adding them to their pastures or provide their animals with a salt lick otherwise the animals will fail to thrive then pass off their mortal coil.

You can choose to add salt to baking or not as sugar hides its lack or it is already present in the butter. If you eat a diet that doesn't include a whole lot of processed foods then you will need to add salt, otherwise it is probably unnecessary, especially if you add salt at the table.

jayimu, Oct 22, 11:39pm
It's not so much salt that is important for your thyroid but iodine. Iodine is important for the manufacture of thyroid hormones. Because NZ soil is low in iodine it's added to some salt - not all salt is iodised. A good natural source of iodine is seaweed so you'll get it if you like sushi.

lythande1, Oct 23, 4:19am
Salt helps maintain the fluid in our blood cells and is used to transmit information in our nerves and muscles. It is also used in the uptake of certain nutrients from our small intestines. The body cannot make salt and so we are reliant on food to ensure that we get the required intake.

iodine deficiency gives rise to goiter (so-called endemic goiter), as well as cretinism, which results in developmental delays and other health problems. the iodine status of New Zealanders is now declining to the point where intervention is again required. Iodine deficiency are similar to hypothyroidism symptoms and include anemia, enlarged tongue, mental apathy, dry hair and dry skin, puffy hands and face, cold extremities, constipation, and irritability. Takes a while to show up.

stells3, Oct 23, 4:46am
Read "Salt & Water, The Essence of Life'.I found it in the local library.We need salt and not the iodised table salt you buy from the supermarket.Buy Himalyan Crystal Rock Salt from health food shops or Bin Inn.It is actually good for you.

cgvl, Oct 23, 11:07am
as jayimu and lythande have said, We lack Iodine in our soils therefore NZers are prone to Thyroid problems one of which is Goitre. In NZ iodine is added to salt and when goitre was a huge health problem people were encouraged to use iodised salt. Rock salt and non iodised salt is fine but you still need to find a source of good digestable safe iodine, otherwise you could end up with a deficency of that sort.

elliehen, Oct 23, 11:23am
Some useful info here on the current iodine status of New Zealanders:

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/nutrition-iodine#re-emergence

buzzy110, Oct 23, 10:36pm
That is good salt but the ultimate salt, with the highest percentage of minerals is the wet, unprocessed Celtic salt from France. It is very salty so only tiny amounts need to be used. I also use a sea salt and kelp mix for sprinkling plus a spray on salt, called Fortisalt.

uli, Oct 23, 10:44pm
It obviously depends what you eat. If you eat real food like meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, then there is no salt at all in the food and you have to add it. When you sweat you lose a lot of salt and it needs to be replaced or you can collapse and fall into a coma.

If you eat things out of packets and lots of processed foods then yes - there is heaps of salt in all that. You do not need to add anything.