Where can I buy some salt petre??

Page 1 / 2
leonie11, May 23, 5:27am
i want to make some bacon and need some of this or some pink salt??? thanks anyone?

pickles7, May 23, 5:33am
You won't.
If you are looking for something to preserve meats you may find some on trade me, The person sells sausage casings.

pickles7, May 23, 8:41am
My preservative has 6.3 % Sodium Nitrite .That is what you would be needing. Phone up some shops that sell Kitchen wares, in your area.

leonie11, May 23, 5:01pm
thanks found it prague powder!!

ferita, May 23, 5:16pm
its actually called red salt in the industry.

lythande1, May 23, 7:47pm
It's Potassium Nitrate. Or you can use Sodium Nitrate.

shop-a-holic, May 24, 12:21am
I have a kilo of Salt Petre and it is Potassium Nitrate.
Happy to send you some. Free.

leonie11, May 24, 5:27am
i want to make some bacon and need some of this or some pink salt! thanks anyone!

leonie11, May 24, 5:01pm
thanks found it prague powder!

ferita, May 24, 5:16pm
It is also carcinogenic

lythande1, May 24, 7:47pm
It's Potassium Nitrate. Or you can use Sodium Nitrate.

jag5, May 24, 8:45pm
You don't really need it....all it does is give the pink colour.I do home cure and don't bother with salt petre...

griffo4, May 24, 8:54pm
Has anyone got a recipe for making bacon please?

shop-a-holic, May 24, 9:35pm
Wet Cure (Danish Bacon) or Dry Cure (Pancetta)?

pickles7, May 24, 10:29pm
Saltpetre was baned from sale years ago, I bought some "pink salt" it is not the same, but you need to be responsible while using it. The next salami I make I am going to cure them, using brandy.

shop-a-holic, May 24, 11:26pm
Saltpetre was not banned for sale in New Zealand, just banned from using in it commercially manufactured foods. Potassium Nitrate (KNO) is commonly used throughout NZ especially in fertilisers. It's E number is 252 and was replaced by E250, Sodium Nitrate. I agree that you have to be extremely carefull, and experienced in using KNO. It's freely available, not banned.

griffo4, May 25, 8:39pm
shop a holic any recipe to get me started and l can get organised before the pigs are ready and find all the ingredients as l am keen to try making some
Wet cure is soaking it in a brine l take it, which was what l was looking at, but interested in dry cure as well

anyone with recipes and advice would be great thanks

jag5, May 25, 8:45pm
You don't really need it.all it does is give the pink colour.I do home cure and don't bother with salt petre.

griffo4, May 25, 8:54pm
Has anyone got a recipe for making bacon please!

shop-a-holic, May 25, 9:35pm
Wet Cure (Danish Bacon) or Dry Cure (Pancetta)!

shop-a-holic, May 25, 11:22pm
I'll start a new thread :-)

shop-a-holic, May 25, 11:26pm
Saltpetre was not banned for sale in New Zealand, just banned from using in it commercially manufactured foods. Potassium Nitrate (KNO) is commonly used throughout NZ especially in fertilisers. It's E number is 252 and was replaced by E250, Sodium Nitrate. I agree that you have to be extremely carefull, and experienced in using KNO. It's freely available, not banned.

griffo4, May 26, 6:18am
Thanks shopaholic for the recipe l will be trying it but is there any others for a longer term bacon?
Leonie what is your recipe if you would care to share along with anyone else please?

shop-a-holic, May 26, 11:22pm
I'll start a new thread :-)

griffo4, May 27, 6:18am
Thanks shopaholic for the recipe l will be trying it but is there any others for a longer term bacon!
Leonie what is your recipe if you would care to share along with anyone else please!