'70's party food ideas - help please!

Page 2 / 2
margyr, Sep 30, 6:49pm
haha, i remember the watermelon! My Mum worked for a caterer and they had a do the day before my birthday so she bought the left overs home for my party, the watermelon was most impressive.

rainrain1, Sep 30, 7:10pm
I've still got a large dish especially made for putting stuffed egg halves on to.It has all seperate compartments for each egg half.It's kind of funny now, but could come back into fashion again so i am hanging on to it.

punkinthefirst, Sep 30, 9:59pm
.and don't forget the bread cases with savoury fillings, not to mention those deep=fried batter cases in heart, club, diamond and spade shapes - or was that the 60's!
You know, I still make a non-alcoholic punch for parties, and it always goes down well. Cheat these days - use Pinto Party Punch base, which is very good, no, better than my old recipes!

daleaway, Sep 30, 10:19pm
The deep-fried "bridge" shapes, as they were called,were definitely 50s- I still have a set of the irons in their original box.
They still sell those egg dishes for stuffed eggs, so no need to chuck yours out, rainrain.
If anyone needs 60s recipes, I have all my books and a lot of magazine supplements from that era (I was a young bride and needed all the help I could get!) and you would be surprised how modern some of the dishes would seem to you.

sarahb5, Sep 30, 11:18pm
I was at high school in the 70s - I have no idea what my mum was feeding dinner guests if/when we had them.I know as kids we thought she was pretty flash when she started making homemade pizzas for tea instead of fishfingers!

sarahb5, Oct 1, 2:54am
What about rice ring as well!If you have or know someone with a Tupperware gel ring that was a very popular use for it.

For the ultimate in 70s dinner parties see if you can get hold of a copy of Abigail's Party - that should give you all the clues you need.

karenz, Oct 1, 3:34am
If you really want to impress - Bombe Alaska!

davidt4, Oct 1, 3:37am
Bombe Alaska actually dates back the the 1870s, not the 1970s.And it seems to be having a revival lately, maybe because kitchen blow torches are now available and make it so much easier.

rainrain1, Oct 1, 4:09am
yea they were all the rage then, and it was so cool to stuff peppers and bake them

karenz, Oct 2, 2:41am
Oh yes stuffed pumpkins, I was born on Halloween so used to have pumpkin themed parties with small individual stuffed pumpkins and pumpkin pies, those pumpkin pies were so nice I am inspired tomake one soon.

julie28, Oct 2, 2:58am
Things on sticks sticking out of a pineapple by memory

rainrain1, Oct 2, 4:09am
yea they were all the rage then, and it was so cool to stuff peppers and bake them, and stuffing a pumpkin was even better

purplejo, Oct 2, 9:56am
Cut a grapefruit in half, cover in tin foil & put cut side down. Can then put cubes of Spam, cheese n pineapple etc on toothpicks & stick in to make a hedgehog. I remember Mum getting me to make these. Also strange mushroom vol-a-vents

craig04, Oct 3, 3:09am
This is wonderful - thanks for all the great ideas everyone, talk about a blast from the past! I am loving the idea of a toothpick hedgehog, I actually do remember these from parties as a kid and I'm definitely going for a fun vibe. I want everyone to laugh when they see the table laden with food they remember as kids and I think it will be mostly finger food with a bit of more substantial edibles as well in a buffet style setting

craig04, Oct 3, 3:14am
Okay so give me your recipes for stuffed eggs/voul au vents/chicken liver pate/salmon mousse etc etc. All my cookbooks are definitely post-70's!

theanimal1, Oct 3, 3:20am
Ratatouille -

theanimal1, Oct 3, 3:21am
Cheese and Herb Pâté

you will find it amazingly versatile
as a vegetable stuffing, a spread, slipped under the skin of a chicken before roasting, with fruit,
as a dressing for hot vegetables, stuffing for veal or pork, on grilled meats. Use any available fresh herbs.

ingredients
makes approx. 500 g (1 1/4 lb
140 g (5 oz) butter, melted
3 cloves garlic, crushed
7 g (1 tbsp) finely chopped parsley
7 g (1 tbsp) chopped chervil
7 g (1 tbsp) finely chopped chives
450 g (1 lb) cream cheese
salt and pepper
method
1. Melt the butter slowly and leave it to cool a little.

2. Combine all the other ingredients and gently fold in the cooled butter.

3. Pot it and refrigerate it until needed.

4. It keeps for several weeks if well wrapped. Use as required.

theanimal1, Oct 3, 3:21am
savoury cheese ball

Tasty cheese, 125gr chopped ham, 1tsp curry powder, grated onon, crushed garlic, 2TBSPS gerkins, pky onion soup, cayenne pepper, 2TBSP tomato sauce, 2TBSP mayonise, 1tsp lemon juice, 1TBSP chopped fresh parsley, 1/2c chopped nuts. Grate cheese add ham, gerkins, onion, garlic, curry powder, & cayenne ppper. mix well. Stir in liquids. Add parsley, salt & roll in chopped nuts. Chill before eating.

serve with crackers

theanimal1, Oct 3, 3:23am
mum always had meatballs and sauce .

Cocktail Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef (can use chicken mince)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 (8 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (optional) (i just use plum jam if i want it)
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, and
minced onion. Roll into small meatballs. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes,
turning once.in alarge saucepan over low heat, blend the
cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and pour over meatballs .

can be eaten cold, and the sauce used as a dipping sauce.

craig04, Oct 3, 4:58am
Fabulous guys! I'm cutting and pasting furiously here!

kulkkulbelle, Oct 3, 7:38pm
Love the Pate recipe - that was such a 70s standby!

kulkkulbelle, Oct 3, 7:39pm
Sounds damned painful julie!

theanimal1, Oct 4, 3:21am
Farmhouse pate

This is a coarse-textured, moist pate, which makes a substantial first course when served with toast. It is equally good for lunch or supper if served with French bread and red wine.
ingredients
serves 6 to 8.
350 g (3/4 lb) boneless belly pork, rinds removed and minced
350 g (3/4 lb) pig's liver, cleaned and minced
1/4 kg (1/2 lb) boned pork loin, minced
100 g (4 oz) pork fat, diced
150 ml (1/4 pint) red wine
50 g (2 oz) can anchovies in olive oil, drained and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
6 juniper berries, crushed
6 black peppercorns, crushed
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
8 streaky bacon rashers, rinds removed

To garnish:
Watercress sprigs Tomato wedges
method
1. In a large mixing bowl mix together the meats, liver and fat. Add the remaining ingredients, except the bacon. Stir well.

2. Stretch the bacon rashers with the blade of a knife and use to line the base and sides of a 1 kg (2 lb). loaf tin, reserving two bacon rashers for the top of the pate.

3. Spoon in the pate mixture and place the two reserved rashers on the top. Stand the tin in a bain marie of hot water and bake in a cool oven (150°C/300°F or Gas Mark 2) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the juices are just faintly pink and the pate has shrunk away from the sides of the tin.

4. When cooked, remove from the bain marie, pour off the excess fat and allow to cool in the tin. Place a weight on a plate or greaseproof paper on top of the pate to help press the meats together.

5. Chill for at least 8 hours or overnight. Before serving, turn out onto a serving platter, cut into six to eight slices and garnish with watercress sprigs and tomato wedges.