Lost recipe - Devils food cake with sour cream!

roodlez, Sep 29, 4:43am
Does anyone have a devils food cake recipe that uses sour cream, and cocoa (not chocolate)!
It made the bestest moistest cake ever, but I don't have the recipe anymore since I lost my folder of recipes clipped out of magazines.

It was out of the Woman's Weekly or Woman's Day ages ago (like around 10 years ago), and could have been from when Food in a Minute first started up. I remember the magazine clipping had a picture of the cake with chocolate icing with a white chocolate spiderweb design on it - it was part of a Halloween treat special.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd be SO grateful!

sooseque, Sep 29, 7:55am
I have looked through my 4 Food in a Minute books that were published from '97 to 2000 but nothing fitting that description, also looked at their website, no joy.Also checked out WW website and did a search, the recipes appear to go back to 2005 and this is the only Devils food cake they had listed (June 2008)
Devil's Food Cake
¾ cup cocoa powder
1¼ cups hot milk
1¹/³ cups sugar
2 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
160g butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1. Heat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease two 20cm round cake tins and line bases with baking paper. Sift cocoa, then combine with the milk and ¹!³ cup of the measured sugar. Stir until well blended, then set aside to cool.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt, then stir in remaining cup of sugar. Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and the cooled cocoa and milk mixture.

3. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for two minutes to combine. Divide mixture between prepared tins.

4. Bake at for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the tins for five minutes then turn out on wire racks to cool completely.

craig04, Sep 30, 12:01am
Devils Food Cake (with sour cream)

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
175g butter (at room temp)
1 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs (at room temp)
2 c plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 c sour cream

Preheat oven to 180deg C. Line and grease 2x 23cm cake tins. In a bowl mix the cocoa and 175ml boiling water until smooth - set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. When cocoa mixture is lukewarm, stir into butter mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder twice. Fold into the cocoa mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the sour cream. Pour into the tins and bake 30-35mins until the cakes pull away from the tin. Stand for 15mins before unmoulding. When completely cool, fill/frost with your favourite frosting!

roodlez, Sep 30, 6:31am
Wow thanks Sooseque - that's a lot of effort!
I'll definitely give that one a go, I have a few birthdays coming up so will need to get my bake on.

Thanks again :) :)

roodlez, Sep 30, 6:32am
That sounds quite similar, so close enough! Will add that to my list too. Thankyou :)

carlos57, Oct 12, 12:47am
Would this work ok as one larger cake rather than two! Don't think I have two round cake tins the same size.