Starter for sourdough bread

Page 2 / 4
sossie1, Sep 24, 1:00am
In the 80's Vicky Park market was cool, do you remember the stall that did Kumera Chips with Garlic Sauce

cookessentials, Sep 24, 1:36am
oh yes.it was a great place then. i used to work across the road in the large building on the corner of Halsey and Victoria Street. Last time I saw it, it was a Chinese restaurant or something. When i worked there, it was Academy Lighting.I was a lighting consultant way back then and when Vic Park opened it was fantastic.could not really say that about it now!

buzzy110, Sep 24, 9:58pm
I take it you are including yourself in this rant!

You know squat about sour dough bread and posting links to sites you have never used may seem like being helpful but really, it isn't.

elliehen, Sep 24, 10:12pm
Well, my work is on my computer, so I'm at it at all hours (often well after midnight connecting with the Northern Hemisphere) but there's 'manual' work in my life also, so I'll be off doing that soon.

Have a happy day!

edited to add:No promises that I'll be back, but thanks for the invitation ;)

omokoroa1, Sep 24, 11:31pm
hey buzzy i hear yah .copy and paste thats all people seem to do or send you a link to go to such and such pagecan people just not write their own experiences in here rather than send you to somebody elses pages page some where in timbuktu

the world is full of know it alls >>>>>take it over cooke

pickles7, Sep 25, 12:03am
Gee, I am going to do " it " make sour dough.
Thanks for that link .buzzy110.

smarthillbilly, Sep 25, 12:15am
I would like your recipe for rewana bread. Is it true that you have to give the first one away!

elliehen, Sep 25, 12:25am
Here's a link to how to make "it" pickles.I hope you've got Te Reo, but even if you haven't, a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=qZeGH9DidSU

pickles7, Sep 25, 1:20am
Already made the starter, from the other link.
http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/sour.htm
I will take a look a bit later.Thanks.

omokoroa1, Sep 25, 6:41am
(Original plant) or bug ( haha! just a name and no its not a bug if that makes sense)
1 medium potato (i reakon the older the potato the better) otherwise what ever you have
cup water
tsp sugar
2 cups of plain flour

peel the potato cut up and cook in water (DO NOT SALT THE WATER)
until soft ready for mashing
add the sugar then let cool to lukewarm now mix flour into potato mix to form a soft dough
cover and keep in a warm place till next day.haha! to get its groove on

ok you need to feed this baby
this is what you will need

1/2 cup of UNSALTED POTATO WATER (room temp)
1 teaspoon of sugar

OK take a Tbls of dough from the original plant u made the day b4 and put into a litre glass jar
add the warm UNSALTED POTATO WATER cover lightly and keep in a warm place

NXT DAY add the sugarthen cover and keep in a warm place
continue to add UNSALTED POTATO WATER 1 day and then the sugar the next to keep the plant growing

Give it a good couple of days trust me you will see the little darling bubbling away and the odor will smell sour (you will know what i mean)its all good
and probably a good maybe 3 to 5 days she be ready to use

with mine it didnt take that longcause my mix was bubbling away it was doing the mean kani kani in the jar

MAKE UP SEVERAL JARS OF STARTER PLANTand if i where u id prob give a jar to the people u know are going to ask u to make them 1
only exceptions are NANAS AND GRANDADS

and the reason UNSALTED POTATO WATER IS USED ONLY is because SALTED WATER will kill the plant

omokoroa1, Sep 25, 6:50am
i forgot to mention your plant in the jar should be of batter consis (haha! i cant spell that flash word but u know what i mean) if u feel that it maybe just a little too watery just add a little more plain flour to the jar and give it a stir

with the original plant is easyas long as you have those 4 basic ingredients you cant go wrong

AND YES IT CAN BE KEPT IN THE FRIDGE WHEN NOT IN USE .more on that later

bearskin, Sep 26, 4:53am
I can confirm that the "Annabel langbein" recipe is the traditional way for a European sour dough starter to be made. I used a variation - with a couple of damsons stright from the tree rather than a few grapes, but either works very well. It's a combination of the juice and natural yeasts that you need, and grape (or plum) work very well. You should leave the fruit in for a day or two only, then a few weeks of gradually adding (and taking away) of flour and water will leave you with a usuable starter. I don't use mine 'neat' but just a cupful to a bread mix will add that sourdough lavour.

pickles7, Sep 26, 4:56am
well I was sitting here all done for the day, and my "pet" in the airing cupboard yelled out to feed it. mmmm.
throw out half
add 1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup water. I think this water needs to be warmish.
Cool, won't take me a minute.

buzzy110, Sep 26, 5:11am
28dC. And you don't have to feed it as often as they say. Knowing what I know now, I made a starter from scratch and produced an absolutely perfect loaf within less than 5 days of go. Give the yeast a chance to get going. If it isn't bubbling then the yeast colony hasn't yet established itself so no point in throwing out stuff that hasn't produced enough yeasts to be viable. The food (flour) isn't less potent just because it has been sat there for a day or so.

pickles7, Sep 26, 6:38am
ok. buzzy110. it had approx. 1 cm of grey water on top, I mixed that in , then took off 1 cup.

pickles7, Sep 27, 5:56am
well I was sitting here all done for the day, and my "pet" in the airing cupboard yelled out to feed it. mmmm.
throw out half
add 1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup water. I think this water needs to be warmish.
Cool, won't take me a minute.
All snug, for another 24 hours.

pickles7, Sep 27, 7:46am
gee today, water on the bottom, lots of bubbles on top, way looser than it was yesterday and it smells, sour. I did feed it.I am thinking mine will be ready Thursday or Friday.

buzzy110, Sep 28, 1:13am
Excellent results. Now is the time to feed it in earnest to create a healthy, strong colony of wild yeasts that thrive on the flours you will be making your bread from.

For future reference, if you want to make bread with flours other than wheat, then it is a good idea to feed your starter with those flours as each flour has its own yeasts (uli's wisdom). As I am currently baking bread once a week, I feed my starter with a mix of the flours I will be using next.

Once the starter is strong and if you are baking once a week then you only need to feed the starter once and put it away in the fridge till it is time to use it. I only use about 2tspns of starter from the last batch to innoculate my next starter with as well. That slows down the multiplication rate (I'm sure you will be able to wrap your experienced head around that sort of logic) so that it is ready in 7 days for use and not in 3 or 4, when you don't want it to be ready.

If you are going to bake with in less often, then just use el-cheapo high grade flour and feed up again a couple of days before you want to bake.

When I'm ready to bake I leave my starter on the bench for the day, make the sponge at night and then make the dough in the morning. That gives me all day for it to prove (twice) and bake that evening. Sour dough is best eaten cold - better flavour. Properly made, the bread should stay fresh, as mine does, for 4 days before I have to think about freezing or toasting.

vmax2, Sep 28, 1:40am
I left my starter in the fridge for a month or two and it started looking revolting on top.Tipped off the top stuff and added more flour and water.Worked fine.

pickles7, Sep 28, 1:47am
Buzzy110, My starter has sort of gone flat. I fed it yesterday it was real bubbly today it is flat grey water on top, more like it was the first day before the feeding. It is not dead, as the little bubbles are still rising like they do, in beer making. I have just stirred the water in, adding a bit of oxygen.

buzzy110, Sep 28, 2:20am
It is time to feed it. Once it gets bubbly it is time to capitalise on the fact that you now have a viable colony going but it needs feeding in these early stages. Once created, yeast is very hard to kill off. It doesn't starve when it runs out of food, it just goes dormant. The only thing that kills it is heat. I never add ingredients that are hotter than 28dC. They are perfectly happy with anything colder, and on some winter mornings when I can't be bothered waiting I use water straight from my filter and that is ice cold.

Don't worry about the separation of water from the main "paste". That is normal. Mine in the fridge separates after a day or so. When I take it from the fridge the bubbles take it over, giving my starter a white "head" just like beer. You can stir it in or not as you see fit. Yeast colonies are very robust and can take all sorts of rough handling. Just keep your utensils clean so that other bad spores are not introduced.

pickles7, Sep 28, 2:40am
OK thanks. I will feed it today then, and hopefully findit in a "bubbly " condition tomorrow. The white head you refer to, is that liquid froth, or batter, bubbles. I had batter bubbles yesterday.
I have just been asked to tape a program. ch 1 at 9-30 tonight. Must be in relation to, a lot of dough. lol

beaker59, Sep 28, 3:00am
Pickles if your starter is in a warm place it can actually consume most of the easy starches in the flour and look sad and flat when you come to feed it with that layer of water what you should do is check it about 2 hours after feeding to see if its bubbleing to be sure. I also advocate just making a loaf of bread and see how it goes I am guessing from what you have said that yours is ready to go worst that can happen is you end up with a heap of breadcrumbs (sourdough breadcrumbs are awesome for Wiener Schnitzel).

.This is the simple recipe I use and like, you can change the flours depending on what you like. Take the cup of starter from your jar then feed it back to the original level.

1 cup starter
1 cup warm water
1 and a half cups white flour
1 and a half cups wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons of salt
and a couple of tablespoons of good oil (olive is nice)
½ tsp of sugar

Put the ingredients in a bowl stir in into a batter thats a bit sticky but firm then leave on the bench covered for 8 -12 hours or so I have left it for up to 18hrs, then tip out onto a floured board knead for about 2 minutes and place in a loaf tin and allow that to rise until loaf sized. Then bake I put mine in a cold oven and turn on fan bake for 45 min at 190 degrees.Then when baked turn out onto a rack to cool. Some say its best left to rest for a day before eating but I like it fresh and aged so just start straight away. This makes a good general purpose healthy loaf nice toasted with honey or for lunch sandwiches. Longlasting too never had a loaf go stale.

pickles7, Sep 28, 6:23am
Thank you .beaker59. I have just had a look to feed it now, and on stirring it, it is all loose like thick cream. The fork goes through without catching any strands of dough.
I did two things. put a loaf of bread together, and fed the bug. All good.

pickles7, Sep 28, 7:52pm
I am up, high with anticipation,,,,I am sooo impressed, all must be ok, the bread is fine, I kneaded the dough, found it to be like silk, soft, like a, 2.5 litre breast in a 3 litre pouch. mmmmm dough wasn't mentioned on that program last night. I have the bread doubling in size right now.