Sourdough starter feeding (novice)

Page 1 / 2
kaddiew, Jul 18, 9:02pm
I've just been handed about 1/2 cup of a starter, with instructions to feed it daily with HG flour & water. I've read all the sourdough threads on here and some of the links, but have just become confused with the variations.

I know it's a learning curve, but FOR NOW can someone please just tell me how to get this small starter underway. Daily feeds? Water temperature? Bench top or fridge? Many thanks. :)

beaker59, Jul 18, 9:17pm
I don't currently run one but I used to feed mine daily with flour and water I would halve the starter and add 2 table spoons of flour and water to make it a batter type consistency. I ran mine on the bench top (though others don't) except in really hot weather when I would keep it in as cool a place as I could find without the fridge.

All yeast colonies like constant temp, warm and they multiply fast and consume the available food quickly then you risk the colony collapsing, cold and the colony hibernates then If it doesn't multiply fast enough half of it gets tipped out each feed and diluted with the new mix resulting in a slow steady decline. So its all a bit of a juggle but in reality they are pretty hard to kill I think if you use the starter for breadmaking often then you quickly get into a rhythm so to speak.

beaker59, Jul 18, 9:19pm
I should add if I wanted a rest from breadmaking and feeding I would put the starter into the fridge for a month undisturbed then get it out and start feeding again and it would spring to life very quickly.

kaddiew, Jul 18, 9:33pm
Thank you beaker59, for simple and clear instructions. Exactly what I was after. :)

buzzy110, Jul 20, 3:07am
Well done.

beaker59, Jul 20, 3:11am
Crumbs that looks good, an upper crust loaf, a cut above the rest.

Does its taste match its good looks.

buzzy110, Jul 20, 3:22am
Yes. It does look "a cut above the rest".

kaddiew, Jul 20, 3:38am
Thanks folks! : )

It's still hot - haven't had the courage to cut into it yet!

pickles7, Jul 20, 3:43am
Good work.
Nothing basic about a home made loaf of bread. Its top class

pickles7, Jul 20, 3:52am
yes very nice indeed. just look at where the butter can hide. lol

buzzy110, Jul 20, 3:59am
That is an interesting crumb. What recipe did you use?

kaddiew, Jul 20, 4:13am
Haven't eaten sourdough in years so no idea how the crumb should look! It's just a beginner's one-rise recipe from a Culturesforhealth "how to" video, and probably uses far too much of the starter:

2 1/3 cups starter (after 3 feeds)
scant TBSP salt (I used 2 tsp)
3 1/3 cups flour
1 - 1 1/2 cups water

The formed loaves took approx 7 hours to rise, helped by a couple of stints in a turned off, barely lukewarm oven, as my house is cold. No doubt I should've left it to rise naturally and more slowly, but was impatient first time around.

buzzy110, Jul 20, 4:49am
I like the look of that recipe and interesting the amount of starter used. I agree with you on the salt use. 2t sounds much better. A normal sour dough looks exactly like normal bread but anything different and it looks different, same as ordinary bread made using a commercial starter.

I hoped you remembered to make up a mix of equal quantities of flour and water I usually use cup of each) with a tspn of the starter used to innoculate it. If you are not planning to make bread again for a week then pop it into the fridge, bringing it out about 24 hours before you plan on beginning your next loaf. If you are going to make bread again say tomorrow, or the next day, leave it out of the fridge so that the yeast has a chance to multiply and lactic acid a chance to form and start eating the maltose which is present in flour.

beaker59, Jul 20, 4:50am
Looks good nothing wrong with the technique (we all get a little impatient) looks stretchy which you would expect from a relatively high water content dough like that. Certainly you have excellent rise which is often the downfall of a new starter so you have a good starter, keep it. Enjoy the slight tang its what real bread tastes like :)

I would be extremely happy with that as a first effort.

kaddiew, Jul 20, 6:00am
Thanks for all the positive comments. Lots to learn!

kaddiew, Jul 20, 6:13am
That's really interesting! :) Thanks elliehen :)

kaddiew, Jul 20, 6:25am
I've actually got way too much starter left over, so think I'll have to bake again tomorrow for the freezer.

That recipe made two loaves; the other one was free form, and went out more than up. I've just cut into it and it has a firmer, finer crumb, not stretchy at all, but still soft. Interesting.

kaddiew, Jul 20, 9:50pm
Think my sourdough making days may be over before they've really begun. After eating only 2 slices, the sour aftertaste intensified, affecting my mouth and stomach - all night.

No problems with regular yeast breads, homemade or bought.

pickles7, Jul 20, 10:28pm
thats a shame. kaddiew. , I liked the bread a lot. I just may have to start developing another bug, this thread has got me stirred up.

kaddiew, Jul 20, 10:46pm
I really liked it too - it just didn't like me! Tempted to use the rest of the vigorous looking starter on a different recipe, but not sure i could bring myself to sample the end result.

buzzy110, Jul 21, 1:27am
That is sad, but if it doesn't sit well with you then at least you gave it a go. If you do decide to make another loaf can I suggest you make an ordinary loaf with a lot less starter. I'll go find a recipe that lends itself well to variety of flours and post it for you.

kaddiew, Jul 21, 1:35am
Yes please buzzy110. Have decided to give it one last go.

buzzy110, Jul 21, 1:38am
I have always used this recipe:

SPONGE:
1 cup of starter
1 cup Flour
1 cup Cool water
METHOD:
Mix altogether and leave in the mixing bowl, covered, overnight.

DOUGH:
3 Cups of unbleached flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of salt
(Extra water. If using flours other than white then it is possible that you will require extra water)
METHOD:
Mix the flour and salt
Add the oil to the sponge
Now add in the flour and salt in 3 parts, thoroughly mixing with each addition
If using a mixer feel the dough and keep adding water a Tblspn at a time until it feels soft enough to knead but is not too sticky
- Now just follow usual breadmaking techniques just remembering that proofing takes longer (about 4 hours for the first proof and about 2-3 hours for the second).
TO COOK:
Oven should be at 220dC for the first 30mins then turned down to 200dC for the next 30 mins. I take it out of the tin for the second part of the cooking because I like lots of crust. I also add a small bowl of boiling water to the oven for the first part to add steam.
TO EAT:
Don't eat until it is cold to allow the flavours to fully develop and to keep moisture in the loaf.

It only makes one loaf, but it is a big one.

kaddiew, Jul 21, 1:47am
Great thanks for that. Just one question: Is it too soon to get the sponge underway now to leave overnight, or should it be left till evening?

buzzy110, Jul 21, 2:01am
No. I've gotten my sponge going in the morning for the next day on occasion.