Absolutly Favourite Crockpot Recipe

Page 7 / 7
lizab, Aug 28, 11:16pm
I was looking for a recipe for macaroni cheese in the crockpot and found this thread. Thought it was worth a 'bump' as it is crockpot weather! :)

gazz, Aug 28, 11:47pm
Please could someone post the Alison Grofton Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding recipe! I wanted to make it today, but our server is down so can't get through to the recipe. Thank you.

gazz, Aug 28, 11:50pm
Opps guess it is google that I can't get acess too. Hope someone else can post that recipie please. Thank you.

bev00, Feb 7, 11:25am
crockpot time coming soon .

rainrain1, Feb 7, 10:38pm
I find the same here.The only time I seem to get my carrots to cook nicely is in with the corned beef which has been cooking away from very early in the morning till almost dinner time.I don't bother putting them in with a casserole type crock pot meal, unless I cook them first.potatoes and onions are OK sliced and placed underneath the meat.Still, it's a jolly handy piece of equipment which i use frequently

rainrain1, Feb 7, 10:40pm
I find the same here.The only time I seem to get my carrots to cook nicely is in with the corned beef which has been cooking away from very early in the morning till almost dinner time.I don't bother putting them in with a casserole type crock pot meal, unless I cook them first.potatoes and onions are OK sliced and placed underneath the meat.Still, it's a jolly handy piece of equipment which i use frequently.
I have it on today with an unidentified piece of meat cooking away, so a surprise at the end of the day is in store

fifie, Feb 7, 11:21pm
Cooking potatoes,carrots, etc take longer in the C/P-S/C.Cut into even sized smaller pieces, push larger pieces especially potato down the sides, with the cut surfaces next to the edge near the base. This is Alison holsts tip and it works, if adding small pieces of cubed carrots,swede,potato etc to stews or anything with a sauce i usually brown meat first, then throw the carrots etc in the pan with diced onions and toss them around a bit this starts the cooking process, tip themon top of meat de glaze pan throw all the bits in as well add liquid stir and cook. If not browning veg etc place all under meat on the bottom don't stir till half way done. C/P i always cook on high, S/C only use that for silver side, soup, big bits meat, desserts etc.

rainrain1, Feb 7, 11:25pm
Your abbreviation S/C has got me C/S

herself, Feb 8, 2:26am
. S/C = Slow Cooker perhaps!

rainrain1, Feb 8, 2:57am
I suppose it is, but what's the difference in a crockpot and a S/C, when it all boils down!

gerry64, Feb 8, 3:28am
I am looking for a new crockpot - anyone have any tips on the brand/model I should avoid

fifie, Feb 8, 4:06am
rainrain S/C = slow cooker, there is a difference in the two, oldercrockpot dosen't cook as hot or fast as the newer slow cookers. Often thats why some have trouble with things drying out in the S/Cookers and why i only use it for soups silversides puds big bits meat etc,i love my 25+ year older crockpot and that gets used heaps more but still like one of each. You can pick older C/Pots up real cheap at the Op Shops often, ralta or sunbeam brands usually.
gerry lots of brands out there now, think they are all much the same, i'd be looking further ahead at some of the models that combine pressure cooking, or one that you can brown meats etc in can't recall the brand at the mo maybe breville! do a search in here this has been discussed before,my S/Cooker is Russell Hobbs and iv'e had it replaced twice, others will say they are great, but i wouldn't buy another one.

rainrain1, Feb 8, 4:57am
Thanks fifie.Mine is a S/C/F/C/C/P because it does all those things and I don't need another

wendalls, Feb 8, 9:34am
Gerry. I bought one from Briscoes I think it was Zip maybe! I took it back as I noticed the lid didnt sit flush on the bowl so heat was escaping. On examination all of the others on the shelf had the same problem so check that before you buy. I have also noticed how quickly my meals cook compared to what my recipes state (eg Simon and Alison Holst's ones). Some things like chicken have been overdone so watch out for that with a new slow cooker! I think mine is Kambrook. Consider how many you are cooking for and if you would like to make enough to freeze for another meal. In this case a bigger size is valuable! I used to take a portion to work and reheat in the microwave - always a yummy surprise as I never remembered what it was! If you would cook lamb shanks then consider how many you would want to fit in and if they would actually fit! My old crockpot brand one ended up cooking unevenly and I would have to turn the bowl to avoid burning in one spot.

vonkrum, Feb 9, 12:12am
Alison Holsts Lazy lasagne is a hit in our house.Have made it before where I cooked the lasagne in the crockpot and then took to sister in laws house where we put it on warm and it was great for lunch with a nice salad and crusty bread. Lazy Lasagne:

For 4-6 servings.
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
500 g mince
1 pkt tomato soup mix
¼ cup tomato paste
Can of tomato puree
2 tspn instant beef stock powder
1 cup hot water
1 tspn each of oregano, and basil (dried)
250g (about 3-4 cups) small lasagna shapes or long lasagna strips.
Topping:
2 tspn cornflour
1 large egg
¾ cup milk, sour cream or a mixture (I just use Soy milk)
1 cup grated tasty cheese
Paprika, optional

Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat and coat the bowl with non stick spray.
Put the garlic, tomato puree, tomato paste, herbs, beef stock and tomato soup pkt and mince into a bowl and combine well together.Adding the hot water last before mixing.

Spread one third of the meat mixture evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.Place half the lasagna noodles over the meat. (the recipe doesn’t say so but I put a small amount of grated cheese over the noodles) and then add another layer of 1/3 meat mixture, the remaining pasta (another sprinkling of cheese) and then cover with remaining 1/3 meat mixture. (You may like to keep a bit more than a third of the meat mixture for the top layer)

To make the topping, mix together the cornflour, egg, milk (and/or sour cream) and cheese.Pour this over everything in the slow cooker and sprinkle with paprika (if using)

Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8-9 hours.

figjamto, Feb 9, 6:07am
Lamb Shanks cooked in the crockpot.lovely

survivorr, Feb 9, 6:52pm
ee1 . verrry interesting!I thought I was the only person on TM who felt like that!:o)Nice to know I'm not.(If you are serious, that is)

I seldom use mine - if ever.

usualsuspect, Feb 10, 11:03am
nutmeg in the rice pudding is good too.my ma always added nutmeg to her rice puddings

gerry64, Feb 11, 2:38am
cheers for the advice on what to look for and buy - will go out and have a look when it cools down a bit over here

kay141, Feb 11, 3:25am
I love both of mine. Food tastes no different to that cooked in a casserole dish in the oven or on the stove top.
@wendells, my larger one is the same. I put a layer of tinfoil under the lid and it works fine.

chchgurl, Feb 11, 8:44am
Only things I have consistant luck with is pumpkin soup and silverside.

books4nz, Mar 7, 3:20am
Bumping for CartoonCath.

Former Trademe recipes are here too:

http://www.votemenot.co.nz/thread/-8582590/crockpot-recipes/

mango5, Mar 29, 6:58am

hawki1, Apr 8, 8:44am
Hi All
Winter is approaching so out comes the crockpot.yummy.
There is a great site
www.trademecooks.net.nz which started because you can loose some wonderful recipes time after time because they drop to the end. This site is the place where those wonderful recipes have been added.It takes a little bit of navigation but they are there.Enjoy