Meals for 5

redphoenix3, Sep 14, 5:21am
ok im stuck in a bit of a rut. besides spag bol, stir frys with noodles or rice, mac n cheese, stews, soups, and roasts what else can cook for myfamily ( 2 adults 2 preteens [that eat heaps] and a 5year old) that isnt going to break the bank!
often lately i have found my grocery bill well over $200 (and i always buy the cheapest brands and specials) we also bake a lot.i get my milk at the dairy for 2:80 as its cheaper there and really try to shop around but still it is getting ever more difficult to include variety of meals for a reasonable price.

davidt4, Sep 14, 5:35am
Lebanese Cabbage Rolls (Vegetarian)

Makes 25 - 30 rolls

1 cabbage
1 head garlic, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon

filling:

300g basmati rice
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 c finely chopped parsley
¼ c finely chopped mint
¼ c olive oil
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.Meanwhile core the cabbage and discard outer damaged leaves.Plunge the cabbage into the boiling water hollow side down.Remove individual leaves as the soften and break away.Drain.

SEe aside a few leaves and lay the others on a chopping board.Cut away the central rib and cut each leaf into four pieces, ideally 8cm x 11 cm.

Make filling by mixing all ingredients together.

Fill each piece of leaf with 1 tsp filling by piling the filling along the short end then rolling and squeezing together, discarding any excess water.No need to fold edges in.

Line a heavy based saucepan with the reserved leaves,Pack the rolls close together but do not press down or pack too tightly.As each layer is complete sprinkle with a little garlic and tomato.

When all rolls are in the pan squeeze over the lemon juice and add enough water to cover.Cover saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until rice is cooked.

Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon.

davidt4, Sep 14, 5:39am
Beef cheeks are very cheap and very delicious.You should be able to order them from your butcher.Try them in this:

Beef and Leek Stew
Serves 6

3 large leeks
2 tab. olive oil
1 kg lean beef (e.g. blade steak, cheeks, rump, skirt) cut into 4cm chunks
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 tab. balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Cut leeks in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 1 cm pieces.Include the green parts.

Heat oven to 150° C.
Heat the oil in a large pan or flameproof casserole.Brown beef 8 – 10 min.Add all but ½ c. of the leeks; stir over heat 5 min.Sprinkle with flour, salt & pepper and stir for 5 min.Add the vinegar and stir well, scraping up browned bits of the bottom.Add 500 ml water, heat until simmering, cover & put in oven and cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours, checking the liquid level occasionally and adding more water if necessary.The sauce should be quite thick at the end.Ten minutes before serving it put the remaining leeks on top.

Serve with roasted root veges or mashed potatoes.

redphoenix3, Sep 14, 5:58am
thanks every one !:D
vegetarian is controversialmanslave apparently will melt into a ball of goo without a dead animal to eat each night, but i figure i couldmake him asausage or two and cook it for the rest of usit may work

sarahb5, Sep 14, 6:48am
$200 for 5 people if you are trying to give everyone their 5+ a day, etc. is actually pretty reasonable these days - its not the main meals though that I find expensive its the price rises for essentials like bread, cereals, etc. that bump up the overall price.

redphoenix3, Sep 14, 7:41am
yeah sarah thats what i have been finding. i was hoping that i may have been over spendingand could make cost cutting decisions