Can you use a normal cake recipie for cup cakes!

chez1, Sep 12, 9:11pm
Made a real nice chocolate cake this weekend, practise run for my daughters first birthday, my parnter is insisting on making the cake so I was thinking I could make cupcakes to go on the side, is it just less cooking or are cupcake recipies totally different!

Thanks bakers :-)

cookessentials, Sep 12, 9:21pm
No reason why not. if it is a tasty and moist recipe, then go for it.

chez1, Sep 12, 9:25pm
Oh yay, I'm not a baker so will have to watch carefully guess they only need a few minutes 10ish.

THANK YOU

cookessentials, Sep 12, 9:39pm
They wont need long, just keep an eye on them, test with a cake tester.

creeky1, Sep 12, 10:34pm
I use both my chocolate cake and banana cake recipes for cupcakes/muffins. with the banana i just add a cup of chocolate chips. i freeze everything and just pop in lunchboxes on day needed.

dbab, Sep 12, 11:56pm
cookessentials
I had to smile on Masterchef last night.
Merle ( a country woman who has been baking for over 70 years and has won over 1000 awards) was horrified that a contestant used a skewer to see whether his cake and cupcakes were cooked.She didn't like the hole all the way through the cupcake.

lilyfield, Sep 13, 1:36am
your fingertips should do the testing

daleaway, Sep 13, 1:40am
My granny always used a steel knitting needle for cake testing. Works a treat.

katalin2, Sep 13, 1:43am
I have far better success using ordinary cake recipes for cupcakes- made lemon yoghurt cake into cupcakes for fathers day dinner and poured lemon juice/icing sugar on them when baked; iced with lemon juice/icing sugar/butter icing- decorated them- looked and tasted stunning and stayed fresh when the last one was eaten 5 days later. Have also used the sourcream/banana cake recipe; and the magical orange cake one and chocolate mud cake recipe.

chez1, Sep 13, 2:13am
Yum your making me hungry I really better go eat some lunch haha

chez1, Sep 13, 2:14am
That can easily be covered with icing :-)

chez1, Sep 13, 2:15am
Great Idea, I'm not a fan of baking so would be perfect bake heaps one day and freeze hadnt thought of that, Thanks

dbab, Sep 13, 4:52am
chez1 wrote:
That's what I do too.

chez1, Sep 13, 9:25pm
Oh yay, I'm not a baker so will have to watch carefully guess they only need a few minutes 10ish.

THANK YOU

dbab, Sep 13, 11:56pm
cookessentials
I had to smile on Masterchef last night.
Merle ( a country woman who has been baking for over 70 years and has won over 1000 awards) was horrified that a contestant used a skewer to see whether his cake and cupcakes were cooked.She didn't like the hole all the way through the cupcake.

chez1, Sep 14, 2:15am
Great Idea, I'm not a fan of baking so would be perfect bake heaps one day and freeze hadnt thought of that, Thanks

dbab, Sep 14, 4:52am
chez1 wrote:
That's what I do too.

dollmakernz, Sep 19, 5:05am
The Edmonds 2 egg chocolate cake makes the most beautiful cupcakes!

uli, Sep 20, 6:25am
I have made muffins and cupcakes out of "normal" cake recipes with no bother. Just adjust the baking time and maybe lower the temp a few degrees too, so they cook through before they burn at the sides.