Gingerbread Man recipe

amie.mac, Sep 11, 9:02pm
If anyone could help me I would be extremely grateful!I am looking for a really good gingerbread man recipe, I have tried several over the last wee while and for some reason they never turn out properly.Thie biggest problem is that they never seem to set or go a bit harder after they been cooked, they stay soft and are quite crumbly, bit like a stale biscuit which is never that nice! Would be very appreciative for any good recipes or advice :-)

kennymac, Sep 11, 10:10pm
I have been using this one for years, GINGERBREAD MEN – 4oz Butter, 8oz SR Flour, 4oz Soft Brown Sugar, 2 tsp Ground Ginger, 1 tsp Mixed Spice, 3tbsp Golden Syrup, 1tsp Orange Juice.Pre heat oven 180c, Cream Butter, Sugar, Syrup and orange juice.Add dry ingredients and then knead well.Roll out on lightly floured surface.Cut out.Bake 10 – 15 minutes.

splitty, Sep 11, 10:36pm
x1
This recipe is really easy, my 4 year old twins can do it, and it is yummy too. We usually double it cause 1 batch is just not enough.

Tupperware Gingerbread Men

1/3 Cup soft brown sugar
30g butter
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1 Cup plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Place sugar, butter and golden syrup in a jug, cover and microwave on medium (600 watts) for 60 seconds. Remove, stir and microwave for another 20 seconds or until completely melted.
Sift flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon into the melted butter mixture. Add milk and with clean hands, press and squeeze mixture until dough is formed. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it to a thickness of 5mm.
Cut out gingerbread men and place on a tray lined with a baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let the gingerbread men cool down completely before decorating.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:41pm
125g butter
100g firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
375g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
125 ml golden syrup

Icing:
1 egg white
1 1/2 cupsicing sugar, sifted

sultanas or raisins for decorating

Preheat oven to 180C. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined.

Sift dry ingredients and stir into butter mixture with the golden syrup. Mix to a light dough and knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth.

Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper until approximately 3 mm thick. Cut gingerbread men from the dough and place on baking paper on biscuit trays and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Re roll dough as many times as necessary. Cool on trays.

Combine the icing sugar gradually the egg white until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag or freezer bag with the corner snipped. Decorate biscuits as desired.

shop-a-holic, Sep 11, 11:41pm
Cut out twice as many gingerbread men as you need. Use the second lot to cut out Shorts, shirts, pinafores, jackets, stockings, boots and shoes. Place these pieces ontop of the whole-cut gingerbread men. Use a garlic crusher and a ball of dough to create hair; shoelaces; and lace inserts. Bake. They'll come out in 3D.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 11:54pm
what a cool idea shopaholic. Do you know you can also get 3D cookie cutters as well!

amie.mac, Sep 12, 8:31am
Thank you everybody! I am getting set for a big baking weekend, so fingers crossed they work for me :-)

shop-a-holic, Sep 12, 11:41pm
Cut out twice as many gingerbread men as you need. Use the second lot to cut out Shorts, shirts, pinafores, jackets, stockings, boots and shoes. Place these pieces ontop of the whole-cut gingerbread men. Use a garlic crusher and a ball of dough to create hair; shoelaces; and lace inserts. Bake. They'll come out in 3D.

shop-a-holic, Sep 13, 12:02am
I sell a lot of 3D cookie cutters - but if I can get my hands on some men ;-)
*starts cyber-searching.*

shop-a-holic, Sep 13, 12:09am
amie.mac: Link to some pics for inspiration from martha stewart.
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/gingerbread-kids

elliehen, Sep 13, 12:27am
Don't forget to tattoo that famous Sonny-Bill shoulder ;)

shop-a-holic, Sep 14, 12:09am
amie.mac: Link to some pics for inspiration from martha stewart.
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/gingerbread-kids

ooohhh! Delayed thought. I'll add black food colouring to half the dough and cut out All Black jerseys and shorts. Pipe the silverferns in royal icing and add edible silver and omit Adidas branding.maybe omit the Jerseys and have naked All Blacks.!

elliehen, Sep 14, 12:27am
Don't forget to tattoo that famous Sonny-Bill shoulder ;)